purpose of ..

onlinegamesz

Given that the game is a complete sandbox with absolutely no objectives of any kind at the moment, people return kerbals back to Kerbin for the same reason they do anything else in the game: They find it fun.

Do actual space agencies intentionally strand their astronauts in orbit? Yeah. I don't think so.

To be fair, we have an unlimted suply of kerbals and no ethics to worry about. If an actual space agency stranded an astronaut they'd firstly lose an astronaut they spend years training (a LOT of years), and the public wouldn't like it very much (funding)

In soviet Russia, ...

that doesn't always happen.

So much for making a soviet russia joke.

Fun fact:

# of casualties during spaceflight in the Soviet/Russian space program: 4

# of casualties during spaceflight in the US space program: 14

:wink:

If you want to simulate realistic space missions, you have to bring the boys home.
Do actual space agencies intentionally strand their astronauts in orbit? Yeah. I don't think so.

Real space agencies would do a little "accounting":

Calculate the Cost of fuel & supplies to bring the astronauts home

Calculate the Cost of fuel & supplies to carry the ship that allows the astronauts to go home

Calculate the additional number of missions you can have with the funds saved by "forgetting" to install the "return home" button.

Just think of how much money NASA could have saved if all missions were only one way!

Well you have a point there, but I said expect that it is realistic.

Fun fact:

# of casualties during spaceflight in the Soviet/Russian space program: 4

# of casualties during spaceflight in the US space program: 14

:wink:

Nice fact, I thought always the Russian rockets had bad technology.

Nice fact, I thought always the Russian rockets had bad technology.

In fact the Russian technology was good, although it didn't stretch the state of the art.

During the 1990s, the Russians were taking people to space in a Soyuz (which they still do), whilst the Americans were using the Shuttle. A good analogy: The Russians were using a reliable 1960s-vintage small car (think a mini or something), whilst the Americans were sending a Semi Trailer with a workshop in the container, which had room for 7 crew members and could be used for space construction. However, the semi-trailer was latest and greatest technology (and therefore had a lot to go wrong). And when you had 7 people on board, something going wrong was likely to result in the deaths of all aboard.

14 deaths are accounted for by just two accidents in the American Space Program . . .

If you are going to ask that sort of question, you might as well ask what's the point of launching them in to space in the first place. The answer of course is there's no point at all, but that in itself is the point. The game at the moment is what you want to make it. You want to strand Kerbals on various planets, that's fine. You want to design a complete mission that will get them back again, that's fine too.

It just adds a real nice challenge to your misson. Plus I find it fun designing the return vehicle. It would be nice if there was a hanger or something to take your kerbals to that "completes the mission" instead of just manually ending it.

It just adds a real nice challenge to your misson. Plus I find it fun designing the return vehicle. It would be nice if there was a hanger or something to take your kerbals to that "completes the mission" instead of just manually ending it.

I think they were planning to remove the 'end flight' option, and replacing it with something you can do once landed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.