I just saw Prometheus

ahappydude

And it blew my mind... It raised questions for me, esp how we became man from apes, what happend that made us evolve???????

Before i saw the movie i read alot of dissapointed reviewes, but the 2 h went by fast for me. I really like it!

Did the movie get you thinking?

evloution works by survival of the fittest, if you are not able to survive you dont pass on your genes, some apes had mutatant characteristics and traits that enhanced their ability to survive and passed on their genes, those that did not have these traits died out or were replaced as the genes spread through breeding, evolution takes a long time,

as for how it happened in the movie, no idea

Woaw, never been attacked on the forums. Thanks your insentive people :) Real kind of you. My post didnt have to do with evlotion, but the movie. It raised some questions for me, but for you it just made you bitchy so cheers for that :)

I started the thread beacuse i started wondering, what did make us evolvle from apes, the movie is about finding answers. Nobody can be cerrtain there ven is an question and anwser why we are put here on earth. That was the dilema i was wondering about. Instead peoeple start being elitist :=) gez, its just thoughts

Edited by ahappydude

And it blew my mind... It raised questions for me, esp how we became man from apes, what happend that made us evolve???????

Before i saw the movie i read alot of dissapointed reviewes, but the 2 h went by fast for me. I really like it!

Did the movie get you thinking?

I didn't really like the movie much at all, sorry to burst your bubble dude. :/

Still, you could watch this. They go over some of the things I had an issue with.

Cheerss :) After watching the movie i began thinking, i knew the oldest link wa found in africa. I was thinking, what was the catalysm for eveolveing us from primates, to humans? Cheers for your repsponse :=))

nothing makes evolution happen it just does, it cannot ,not, happen. genes are passed on, some combinations are better for survival others are not, as long as the carrier survives to breed the genes are passed.

Hey, guys

it's a movie

It doesn't have to be perfectly consistent with itself and the character's don't have to act perfectly rationally, as long as it has cool explosions :D

nothing makes evolution happen it just does, it cannot ,not, happen. genes are passed on, some combinations are better for survival others are not, as long as the carrier survives to breed the genes are passed.

well, not quite true.

It's been postulated that a non-radiative environment would prevent evolution (so a complete lack of radioactive materials, solar wind, stellar background radiation, light even) as it would remove the trigger for mutations.

Of course that's not quite attainable in practice.

I myself have some doubts as to the validity of that theory, as it does not account for chaos/random events.

and oh guys: just disagreeing with someone or pointing out flaws in their argumentation is NOT elitist or an attack on you.

2001 had a good execution of the "humanity came from aliens idea". Prometheus's lore was a joke. So the engineers are humanoid, but actually a lot bigger and stronger and different coloured to humans, but have identical DNA? Not only that, but apparently they spawned life on Earth, so why did it take billions of years for humans to appear, and how did the DNA turn into a billion different species and then somehow get back to humans, was that some sort of secret DNA coded conscious decision or something? Although the lead scientists don't seem to think it's all life anyway even before they find it because they are apparently throwing Darwinism out the window (the guy says it and they don't deny it). They view it as "our ancestors" which fits into the idea of them having identical DNA, but then if they are just human's ancestors, the afformentioned problem of denying evolution.

And the approach to how they denied evolution is just infuriating.

"Why do you think evolution is wrong and that we were created by an alien race from a distant planet and got the funding for a trillion dollar mission full of useless morons?"

"I choose to believe that my practically baseless assumption made from nothing more than a few cave paintings showing the same organisation of dots."

"Well, okay, that makes sense, let's never discuss this again."

And of course she's right though, because the plot says so. So yeah, how did she become a scientist? All the characters in this movie are idiots and the plot is nonsensical. I have no idea what is going on with the crazy xenomorph/goo/facehuggerish thing/kraken life cycle. The only good thing I can say about the movie is that it's pretty and I think many of the jumpscares worked pretty well even if I was thinking "God, these people are idiots, they're asking to die" in the meantime.

Edited by Kerbface

Hey, guys

it's a movie

It doesn't have to be perfectly consistent with itself and the character's don't have to act perfectly rationally, as long as it has cool explosions :D

So untrue (though I note you're smiling as you say it) A film, especially SF, has to be internally consistent otherwise it becomes meaningless. "Cool" explosions are for the hard of thinking. I want a good plot and a logical framework. Characters however may act irrationally at times (don't we all).

I think Prometheus was the worse film I had ever seen.

Nice to see what people here think about how we become what we are today, i dont know much lore about the aliens movies but i liked it as i stated beacuse it raises some questions. Personally i dont belive in a god

I think movies can definitely bring up interesting ideas in this sort of area, I just didn't like prometheus because there was no rhyme or reason to it, it made no sense and there was barely any discussion or ideas presented in an intelligent manner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.