Component Space Shuttle (CSS) v0.2.1

rocket2guns

The External Fuel Tank is a decoupler. I experimented with radial decoupler but I have the orientations a bit mixed up, will look at that again if/when liquid fuel tanks can be placed out of stacks successfully.

It\'s not-probably another experimental bit accidentally left in the file.

Dude, this thing a bitch to get off the ground. ???

Super hard to fly and balance as well, any time that might get fixed in the future? :)

This, seems to have a massive roll on one side. Also the control surfaces don\'t affect roll, so it\'s impossible to correct without using RCS. Which isn\'t strong enough. The control surfaces not affecting roll is likely due to how they\'re placed:

Important Control surface notes- Control surfaces that are placed using symmetry will act as Ailerons. Ones that are placed without symmetry will work as elevators or rudders. This applies to all control surfaces, including Canards. You can manage oversteer by using the mini control surfaces as ailerons and all other parts as elevators.

Special thanks to Foamyesque for this information.

yeah the way the control flaps are build, they can\'t be placed in symmetry, though in theory he should be able to trim it up a little bit and make it a single part, which rotates in symmetry the way C7s control surfaces do.

Aaahhh this makes sense. Perhaps what I need to do is have the RIGHT control surface with negative lift? with the left wing generating positive lift? They are attached as normal stackable objects at the moment.

I decided to release it as it is now, and then wait for the next version (gimballing etc...) as I thought that might fix many of the problems. Any suggestions for config changes are most welcome, I\'m still a bit confused as to how I should be setting up the control surfaces.

Currently the tail is acting as a winglet only, with massive lift and no drag. Should I change that to a control surface? I was going to have a winglet/controlsurface combo (like the wings) but hadn\'t gotten around to that yet. Any thoughts on how this should be configured?

I\'m also breaking out the engine block from the fuselage, as a separate object.

Finally, any thoughts as to how much RCS fuel should be made available?

I\'ve already modelled the interior, canada arm, landing gear, ku-band antenna etc... so can\'t wait for animations to be added as it will be easy for me to enable this.

Have you looked at the C7 spaceplane mod pack? He has the fuselage pieces cut up into small modules, so you can stack RCS tanks, normal tanks half-tanks, etc as needed per mission.

You should also have a loot at how his control wings work, he has 'slanted' ones that slant the proper way depending on which side of the X axis its placed on - an when you place control surfaces with symmetry on the X-axis it 'links' them into ailerons.

the rudder on the tail will probably be useful, though less so with gimballing.

Also for your tank: multiple slices might be useful there too, the nose could be a secondary RCS tank for RCS thrusters on the tank (and since it would be lowest, logically, the whole ship will use that one first, saving the shuttles RCS for orbit. Then the next piece could be the actual decoupler, and then fuel tanks or whatever underneath (which would be useless for now, unless you add a Buran-style engine to the tank, but useful when the fuel system is updated)

I\'ll take a look, thanks for the tips!

On a side note, it turns out v0.1 was packaged from my external HD, so its a little out of date! v0.1 has the optimized meshes, the external fuel tank, and the 'better' cfg file. v0.1.1 is the current upload links.

I have also included a zipped download for those having trouble with RAR files.

Have you downloaded the v0.1.1 version (rather than v0.1)?

If you are still having problems, try using the red stands to hold the shuttle in place. What nothing is intersecting with the fuselage, or the engines. If you use engines that are too big, they will hit the body flap (big chunk below the engine mount), and fall off. Experiment with different engines. I might remove the body flap geometry to stop this happening in a future release.

Let me know how you get on.

If you are still having problems, try using the red stands to hold the shuttle in place. What nothing is intersecting with the fuselage, or the engines. If you use engines that are too big, they will hit the body flap (big chunk below the engine mount), and fall off. Experiment with different engines. I might remove the body flap geometry to stop this happening in a future release.

I couldn\'t find the stands. What section are they under?

Everything should be under 'Utilities and Science'. If its not I\'d delete the part files and redownload.

My original upload (in true kerban style) was actually an old development build. I uploaded the correct v0.1.1 just before. Sorry about that!

Anytime I use the stand = explodey, wheres the best place to position the stands?

Updated to v0.2

Download from ZIP or RAR 7.54mb

KCSS_outline-1.jpg

New to this version:

• [li]NEW: Rudder part, includes tail and animated rudder[/li]
    [li]NEW: Fuselage part, Split out from old fuselage. Currently functions as a fuel tank[/li]
    [li]NEW: Engine Mount part, Split out from old fuselage. Currently functions as an ASAS and as mount for 3 1m Engines[/li]
    [li]NEW: Many small balances of values to achieve a more playable craft[/li]
    [li]FIXED: Crew Cabin now functions as a Command Module[/li]
    [li]FIXED: Wings breaking off too easily[/li]
    [li]FIXED: Tail/Rudder causing fuselage to twist[/li]
    [li]FIXED: Incorrect mass distribution[/li]
    [li]FIXED: Mesh anomalies, optimized some mesh[/li]