So close!

Kanga

I have been playing KSP for quite a while, and whilst mostly messing around I have NEVER landed on a moon or a planet. Never. Sometimes I try, sometimes I don't. Anywho, most of the time when I really try I end up orbiting the sun. :D

Just thought I'd post my best achievement! :D

x4nlkz.jpg

I'm loving this game so much, but I seem a little unintelligent in the spacial department. ;)

Btw this flight also ended up orbiting the sun.

Edit: Scratch that, just tried again with the same space-craft and crash landed. *thumbs up*

Edited by Kanga

@ Kanga:

Nice job getting to Mun. The part you seem to be having trouble with is the braking burn when you get there. If you don't do this, you'll slingshot around Mun (or just smash into it) and end up orbiting Kerbol. What you do is burn out towards Mun like you've been doing to come that close. Then, wait until you fall under Mun's influence. You can tell this on the map view as the point where your path changes color from blue to orange near Mun. So just time accel until you get there. Once you cross that color-change point, go to 1x time accel and find your Munar periapsis point. Set up a maneuver node there to burn retrograde. As you drag the node's retrograde vector around, you'll see your future path change from a parabola out to orbit the sun into a circle around Mun. Tweak this until it's at the desired orbital altitude. Then point your ship at the blue target on the nav ball and time accel to just before the burn. When doing the burn, watch in the map view as your path changes. When the blue of your actual path merges with the orange dotted line of the maneuver node, kill the engine. Now you're in a stable Munar orbit and can go from there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.