How much do you quick save?

Mr.Desmond Tiny

I've been playing since .85 so I keep forgetting the save function is there. Occasionally if I'm about to do something really stupid/dangerous (I did a direct descent from Moho to Kerbin in a single burn once because I was really low on fuel) I'll remember it, but usually I don't bother.

Come campaign, with real repercussions for failure, I expect I'll use it a lot more.

I try to remember to quick save after ever risky manoeuvre but only for when the game crashes. I have this saying though "If I mess up on my own then it's set in stone! But if it's a game crash then it lets me rehash.".

Often. Like, "after every major milestone, which is a lot" often. If I didn't, the anxiety of having not saved would be unbearable. Not to mention it allowed me to experiment and learn a few new things about orbital mechanics, like how burning straight down or up adjusts both Ap and Pe.

Almost every opportunity I get. I have set up an AHK Key Macro system, so I have multiple quicksaves stored, and so I can "pick" which particular "flashback" I can start off with, when a mission is not going well as planned. I have shared that AHK system in this post:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/32018-Multiple-Sequential-Savegames-for-KSP-using-AutoHotKey-%28AHK%29

I used to have a nasty bug that caused the game to crash over and over again. That's been fixed, thank god, but out of habit I still spam the F5 key to minimize the progress I'd lose if the game crashed. Reach orbit, F5. Circularize orbit, F5. Make Munar transit burn, F5. Attain Mun orbit, F5. Circularize Munar orbit, F5. Etc., etc., etc.

I rarely quickload any more, however. Really, I find I don't need to very often any more...

It's like being a gun-owner really. Owning one doesn't mean you're plan to use it offensively and often--but knowing it's there (and that you actually know how to use it responsibly) gives you a sense of security.

I use the quicksave before anything tricky, but usually don't use the actual quickload unless I screw up something easy-to-not-screw-up.

Although, there was that one time I drove 20km from my Duna lander then realised "****, I can't actually get down because of the buggy suspension!" (the 0.20.0 rover wheels) and spent 3 days quicksaving my way down an 800m slope.

The thing about quicksave is that at present it is a lifesaver when the game goes kaput. Because I use a bunch of mods to expand on the wonderful core parts it probably makes it even more unstable. But that said, I have had a total of 13 crashes since 20.2 came out. A lot less than my 19.1 setup it seems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.