First successful missions

So I'm starting to get to grips with things. More of my velocities are upwards, less of my ships run out of fuel, less of them go BANG on the launcher, and (slightly) less Kerbals are dying due to my incompetence. After doing some of the basic light satellites around Kerbin I thought 'The Mün looks like fun.' Erwise and Bob agreed, so into the unknown we went (After plenty of time in the VAB...)

First Munar landing - I was practically having kittens trying to land this as softly as possible

3jh4W0K.png

Bob and Erwise get out and look at their new home for the foreseeable future

Pt6Rkj2.png

They've unpacked, made themselves at home and even planted a flag

id21pi6.png

The next stage really was getting them mobile. After many iterations and spectacularly unsuccessful launches, the JebJeep™ was finally deployed to the Münar surface, and landed less than 1km away from the pod. Blind luck more than skill!

M9lA0xX.png

Erwise quite enjoyed the storage container for some reason.

I3VdvGR.jpg

Parked up after an exciting day zooming about

uPqtzPG.png

Obviously no fledgling Mün colony is complete without some sort of satellite, so back into space - this time No Kerbals Were Harmed In the Deployment of This Apparatus (which makes a nice change for me)

On the transfer across, I thought 'I wonder how low I can get this thing...' So the next challenge was exactly that. The orbital and transfer stage is seen here.

m8L0BSy.jpg

Fairings deployed, satellite decoupled, transfer stage abandoned in the background(I forgot to put another core on there to control it after. Rookies, eh?)

vqKTZwZ.png

Got into a stable circular orbit

hZLdABt.png

...And thats how low I got it. I'm not sure what the highest point is on the equatorial line, but I daren't go below 2600m

auDuHG5.png

Thanks for looking. Hopefully tomorrow Bob and Erwise will have some slightly better accommodation and a few more facilities!

~M

Erwise quite enjoyed the storage container for some reason.

Erwise seems like an interesting guy.

You're very well prepared for a first-time Mun lander. Your space program must be pretty organised.

Mine was more like "MOON! GO NAO!" And I stacked SRBs until the rocket went high enough to get there.

Jeb loved it. Some photos from my first Mun (and rocket) attempts.

UBlzsy0.jpg

This stage looked awesome. Still experimenting with designs here.

2cUHJp2.jpg

Why the panels? Because they looked awesome, that's why.

69HAxxI.jpg

And we're here! (Yep, were here, and alive, that's what counts right?)

yJoPHUD.jpg

Edited by Tw1

Erwise seems like an interesting guy.

You're very well prepared for a first-time Mun lander. Your space program must be pretty organised.

Mine was more like "MOON! GO NAO!" And I stacked SRBs until the rocket went high enough to get there.

I like to give off an air of competence, however I can assure you that behind these 3 successes are 20 wrecked buggys, various probe parts littering KSC and alot of new craters on the Mün.

My general building strategy is 'Is it going quick enough -> No -> Have you run out of fuel? -> No -> Add more engines.' I think it's the same train of thought as your SRB theory lol.

But still, you gave them things to do, which I didn't until my second interplanetary flight.

(Unless you count the rover-probes that were tacked on to my first Duna lander. None of them lasted a week, and I never placed control sources on the bottom of a rover again.)

yUvtMdi.jpg

Dropped another rover on the moon today - a small crane this time though. Big enough to winch things if they get rolled over but not quite big enough to lift modules. Newbie construction error. Jeb came along for the ride this time. The uneven weight distribution of the crane made for a high pucker-factor on the landing, and it wasn't quite as accurate this time - 2 km off course. Still, it was a good chance to see what the tracked rovers can do!

Pre-final burn

hy400Cf.jpg

The final approach. Fuel levels getting slightly worrying

ZeGfWoZ.jpg

Stuck the landing! (Just..!)

RHFr5GM.png

Parked up for the evening

Q5ZHHQF.png

Next on the list... Well, we'll see what happens in the VAB.

~M

SO some mods decided to act up on my install of KSP, and long story short, my stupidity lost me my Munar lander and Kerbal satellites. I decided I could make my fledgling Munar outpost a little better, so it was redesigned, relaunched, relanded and renamed to Jeb N' Bill's.

Here it is on the platform with the lifter

5rIMYvb.png

TOUCHDOWN!

qUSjeCA.png

Bill tries to walk off the shakes from Jeb's landing...

onE4ILI.jpg

...And smartly proceeds to break part of the capsule. Jackass.

7nwudcw.jpg

Jeb discovers he has his own parking spot now.

FQhMgTF.jpg

As my satellites around Kerbin were no more, I decided to start the construction of the KSS. The habitation module went up first - to an circular equatorial orbit of 100km. Simple enough. The second piece involved a bit more consternation and much reading about rendezvous...

The faired payload and lifter enroute to interception

SCXMRzP.png

Success! The nuclear power module is docked and renders the tiny cells on the habitation module useless. There is much rejoicing, until the crew realize they are now living next to a nuke.

7g5ygtK.jpg

That's all for today. Tomorrow I may build a better mobile crane for the Munar base - The one up there is a bit micro.

~M

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.