What happened when you first landed on the Mun?

rhj91

My first moon landing was stressful as all get out. I didn't know that I could autosave, so every action had significant consequences. :) I got into orbit, and then burned off enough speed to drop my orbit to the planet. That put me into a very shallow descent, with very little vertical speed but a TON of horizontal speed. I wasn't able to burn off all of the horizontal speed, and my lander ended up bouncing off the mun and rolling end over end until it finally ground to a halt. The crew survived, but the vessel was not capable of re-achieving orbit.

Well, the UNOFFICAL first time, so far unknown to the Kerbals as a result of quicksave, was disastrous.

I had to much lateral movement, about 1m/s downwards and about 200 to the east. Yep!

When the legs touched down, the high centre of mass and the 200m/s speed to the east made it to lots of flips! Parts went spinning of it each time it touched down.

Eventually, the command capsule survived and stopped, detached to everything and surrounded by a few pieces of debris.

Subsequently, the quicksave button erased the Kerbals memories of that event.

• 1 month later...

My first mun landing went perfectly. The craft landed, I wandered about for a bit, took back off and headed for home. That is where things went wrong... I forgot the parachute and only had enough fuel to get myself back to kerbin, not land.

Every Mission to the Mun since then has going wrong in one way or another. Missions to Duna, Eve, Moho, Laythe, Eeloo... all go off without a hitch but the Mun? Somehow at least one kerbal dies, and another is stranded there every time.

The *first* time I landed on the mun (without MJ) I sat back in my chair, let out a long, deep sigh of relief and then had to walk quickly around my room a few times to calm down. Then, I realised I had'nt brought enough fuel for the return trip. Good times!

Heh. I remember it as if it were yesterday :)

The first lander I put on the Mun sank through the dust covering the regolith. So I launched a second one. That one also sank into the dust over the regolith. So I launched a third one. That one burned, fell over, THEN sank into the dust over the regolith. But the fourth one stayed up!

First time I landed was back in the good ol' days before we had, well, landing legs. I think I used fins as legs back then. Needless to say they broke off and everything ended horribly with me only having the capsule and a detached engine/fuel module.

First time I "landed", there were pretty fireworks announcing my arrival, along with a puff of smoke and a disappearing act to make any magician jealous.

Second, third, and fourth "landings" produced similar results.

The first time I landed, I cheered (literally, I jumped out of my chair, pumped both fists into the air, and let out a "Whoop!" -- fortunately only my cats were in the house to hear me), then promptly got cocky and decided I could hop my lander over to that arch I could just see on the horizon.

And lo did my first landing then become my fifth "landing"...

I bounced.. well more accurately I approached the surface about 10 times trying to find the sweet spot for the throttle then finally touched down, forgot to kill the throttle and I shot back into the sky... at which point I ran out of fuel and commited a controlled flight into terrain...at about 103m/s.

Alacrity

My first successful* landing involved snapping the lander legs off and landing in a small debris field. This was after running out of fuel and exploding, and retro-thrusting into a high speed impact with the dark side.

Then Bob hit the ground too hard while jetpacking and died.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.