[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

4 hours ago, 1greywind said:

With ease: it works over LAN or Internet without problems: be aware that KSPTOTConnect has IP whitelist GameData\KSPTOTConnect\Plugins\PluginData\KSPTOTConnect\IPAddressWhitelist.txt - if it won't connect - it probably because you need to update this file.

In simplest case when KSP and KSPTOT are running on same computer, you don't need to change anything. If they are on different computers, you need to go into KSPTOT's main menu - select "KSP Real Time System" / "MCC Real Time System"  and enter IP or hostname into "Enter remote host" box. When click on "Test Connect to Remote Host" button. As soon as "Select Vessel:" dropdown will be populated by data, all KSPTOT tools will be able to fetch data from KSP: just right click on any orbital param input field and select "get orbit from KSP".

Thanks!...  I think??  I'm sure it's physically simpler than the way that reads, but I'll give it a go probably Friday or Saturday night.

2 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Thanks!...  I think??  I'm sure it's physically simpler than the way that reads, but I'll give it a go probably Friday or Saturday night.

Playing KSP with KSPTOT is not an easy task :) It is not very user friendly but greatly rewards you with feeling of accomplishment when you execute carefully planned maneuver sequence and get exactly that orbit you've wanted :)

If you have friends who want to try it too, you may use it to simulate Spaceship - Mission control interaction with very high degree of realism:

Файл:Kazan-FC-1.jpg

This is simulation Mission control center and you may note KSPTOT on two screen on the left.

Hi, I'm trying to use the create new bodies from KSP tool. I have KSP running and in the flight scene (a vessel on the launchpad) when I click the button to connect.

In the logs of KSP I see

[KSPTOT Connect] accepted connection [2] from IP: 127.0.0.1:51123

[KSPTOT Connect] new connection

however in the TOT I get a "No Data" error - "there was an error pulling data from KSPTOTConnect"

EDIT: It looks like I needed to restart KSPTOT, and in order to restart TOT I needed to delete the directory C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\Tom\mcrCache9.3

Edited by tomf
I resolved the issue

On 3/2/2019 at 4:34 AM, tomf said:

Hi, I'm trying to use the create new bodies from KSP tool. I have KSP running and in the flight scene (a vessel on the launchpad) when I click the button to connect.

In the logs of KSP I see

[KSPTOT Connect] accepted connection [2] from IP: 127.0.0.1:51123

[KSPTOT Connect] new connection

however in the TOT I get a "No Data" error - "there was an error pulling data from KSPTOTConnect"

EDIT: It looks like I needed to restart KSPTOT, and in order to restart TOT I needed to delete the directory C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\Tom\mcrCache9.3

I'm glad you were able to find a solution.  I'm not sure what happened honestly. Do you know why you needed to delete that directory to restart the application?

26 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

I'm glad you were able to find a solution.  I'm not sure what happened honestly. Do you know why you needed to delete that directory to restart the application?

There was an error in the log file and googling the error I found a suggestion to delete that directory. I'm afraid I can't remember what the error said.

19 minutes ago, tomf said:

There was an error in the log file and googling the error I found a suggestion to delete that directory. I'm afraid I can't remember what the error said.

No worries, thanks for letting me know. :)

19 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Hi @Arrowstar, I'm wondering what actually "RAAN" is, I pretty sure this has to do with the longitude of ascending node.. And, can you find such data in KSP ingame (with KER/MJ)?

RAAN is "right ascension of the ascending node".  For the purposes of KSP, it is a synonym for longitude of ascending node (LAN).  I'm sue you can find RAAN/LAN in both KER and MJ, yes. :)

1 minute ago, Arrowstar said:

RAAN is "right ascension of the ascending node".  For the purposes of KSP, it is a synonym for longitude of ascending node (LAN).  I'm sue you can find RAAN/LAN in both KER and MJ, yes. :)

Yes, thanks I figured that out finally. And btw, as it an occasion to say it: TOT is just awesome :)

Can't imagin the time you invested in..

Kurg

5 hours ago, kurgut said:

Yes, thanks I figured that out finally. And btw, as it an occasion to say it: TOT is just awesome :)

Can't imagin the time you invested in..

Kurg

Glad you like it!  Yes, I figure it's been a few thousand hours since 2013 or so, but its totally worth it.  It's a great hobby.  Let me know if you have any questions! 

Hey everyone,

Tonight I built KSPTOT v1.6.3 pre-release 2.  This is a minor build that includes mostly bug fixes:

• Fixed an issue on Linux with the Help->About dialog box
  • Fixed an issue with the vectorized Lambert solver that could occasionally arise when the solver was used with multiple inputs.
  • MA: Added a DV magnitude readout to the Insert Delta-V Maneuver dialog box.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Hi @Arrowstar , I was wondering if there is a "simple" method (I mean by that simplier than my guess and try etc method) to plot K-E-K-K-J windows, as I like to use them in career, as J-K-E-K for the return from Jool.

My current method is to find a K-Jool window, where the departure date matches exactly with the 2nd Kerbin flyby date of a K-E-K-K mission, and this finally gives me my K-E-K-K-J.

Maybe it's because I don't know precisely about the good planets positions relative to each other, so I loose lot of time trying with all search dates possible.

And maybe I missed a Tot feature too?

Thanks !

btw: just manage to do a mission where I launch sats from LKO to every planets/moons in one ejection burn, thanks to Tot in great part!

https://imgur.com/a/ogUlZKJ

Edited by kurgut

5 hours ago, kurgut said:

And maybe I missed a Tot feature too?

Hi there!  Yes, there is a feature to do this.  It's called either the Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer (MFMS) if you want to optimize a particular trajectory, or the Multi-Flyby porkchop plot (or something to that effect) if you want to search over a large span of time.  The latter will actually plot "windows" so I suspect that's what you're after.  You can use the MFMS later to refine down a good trajectory if you desire.

Just a heads up, the run time on this multi-flyby porkchop plotter can get lengthy if you have many legs (because it has to compute every permutation), so start simple and work your way up as you learn to use it.  And definitely let me know if you have any questions or you find any bugs while you use it.

Happy orbiting!

And nice work on the mission too. :)

This is really excellent. As the person who figured out how to get it running on a Mac kinda-sorta with WINE, at least for a few releases, I'm thrilled to see a full Linux port. Great work on that, and also the LVD looks amazing. Thanks so much for your continued efforts!

On 1/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, Arrowstar said:
  • New Linux Version of KSPTOT!

On 3/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, sonic300 said:

It's possible too use my gpu for optimisation ? because it's take a long time .......

i have a GTX 1060 6go

No, unfortunately this is not possible at this time.  What analysis are you running that takes a long time? 

2 hours ago, sonic300 said:

it's was for a fly-by, earth-venus-saturn( real solar stock), 2 hours i think all optimise...

but another probleme, how you execute your manoeuver??because it's cool too have very fine trajectoires but impossible too execute well

1. Can you take a screenshot the Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer (MFMS) user interface as it was right before you tried to do the optimization?  I'd like to try to replicate it.  MFMS should never take that long.
  2. Once you get your mission set up, you can try to create the mission plan in Mission Architect, and then use that information to execute all the maneuvers within KSP itself.  There are a few tutorials that come with KSPTOT that explain how to go from very basic information to Mission Architect.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Sorry, my english is bad so my explains too.

For me it's was long in mission architect, too find good inclinaison, raan,ecc........too make the flyby.

And the second question it was about when i finnish too optimise my mission, i upload my manœuvrers in KSP, and how can excute perfectly my burn ??

i try too use mechjeb but is not perfect......

And another things, i'm french, in the french ksp community, i'm the only one who knows use KSPTOT(basicily), i want too make a video( in french) just for explains basic things, rdv, orbit change,.....

Are you ok? Of cource a put the link of the thread and your "by me a coffee"

5 hours ago, sonic300 said:

how can excute perfectly my burn ??

in the Tools menu of KSPTOT under Maneuver Planning is the Maneuver Execution Assistant. This will help with timing your burn properly although I've not yet had the chance to really use it. General rule of thumb is to split the burn duration in half - so if you need to do a 30s burn at 15:00:00 you'd start the burn at 14:59:45 and end it at 15:00:15. But a perfectly-executed maneuver isn't always possible and that's okay! Plenty of real missions have multiple "correction burns" either as result of a non-optimal maneuver or even pre-planned. You should expect to be updating your mission with new orbital data after every maneuver and re-optimizing it to see if you need to make additional adjustments to your trajectory later on to arrive where you want to.

15 hours ago, sonic300 said:

For me it's was long in mission architect, too find good inclinaison, raan,ecc........too make the flyby.

So there are a few things that can cause the optimization to take a long time.  First, if you have many variables, the optimizer needs to compute the gradient for each of them.  This can cause individual iterations to take a significant amount of time.  Second, it may just be difficult (or impossible) to find parameter values that achieve what you want.  The optimizer is good but it can't break physics.  If you find that you are having trouble hitting targets, then consider adding more DV maneuvers, expanding the bounds on variables you already have, and giving the optimizer a better "initial guess" to start from.  If you'd like, you can upload a copy of the MAT file that the Mission Architect mission data is stored in and I can take a look and see if I can't help things any.

And another things, i'm french, in the french ksp community, i'm the only one who knows use KSPTOT(basicily), i want too make a video( in french) just for explains basic things, rdv, orbit change,.....

Are you ok? Of cource a put the link of the thread and your "by me a coffee"

This is fine, yes.  After you create the video, you are welcome to send me a link and I'll put it up on the first post of this thread.  And yes, a link to this thread and the Ko-Fi "buy me a coffee" page would be much appreciated wherever you post the video!  I certainly appreciate that sort of support.  Thank you. :)

10 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

in the Tools menu of KSPTOT under Maneuver Planning is the Maneuver Execution Assistant. This will help with timing your burn properly although I've not yet had the chance to really use it. General rule of thumb is to split the burn duration in half - so if you need to do a 30s burn at 15:00:00 you'd start the burn at 14:59:45 and end it at 15:00:15. But a perfectly-executed maneuver isn't always possible and that's okay! Plenty of real missions have multiple "correction burns" either as result of a non-optimal maneuver or even pre-planned. You should expect to be updating your mission with new orbital data after every maneuver and re-optimizing it to see if you need to make additional adjustments to your trajectory later on to arrive where you want to.

Thanks for the input, @Drew Kerman!

Back to KSPTOT, now on Linux!

(I actually slowly dropped out when I couldn't be bothered to dual-boot for one, even as wonderful as KSPTOT, program.)

Works perfectly on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

With one single, and not very important, problem.

Choosing 'About' in the menu gives an error stating that it can't find "images\testlogo.png".

I regard that as a very minor issue ;)

(I also nicked the right part of Arrowstars sig to use as icon ;) for the startup script)