[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

what does "Toggle Optimization for Selected Event" do in LVD? I had one in the event set to be optimized and when I selected this option there were two asterisks next to the event instead of just one but no other optimization boxes were checked. Toggling it off went back to one asterisk and the box I checked was still active. So does it just switch on all fields but not actually modify them so you can still choose which should remain on when you toggle them all off?

18 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

what does "Toggle Optimization for Selected Event" do in LVD? I had one in the event set to be optimized and when I selected this option there were two asterisks next to the event instead of just one but no other optimization boxes were checked. Toggling it off went back to one asterisk and the box I checked was still active. So does it just switch on all fields but not actually modify them so you can still choose which should remain on when you toggle them all off?

Basically it just removed any variables and constraints associated with that event from being included in the optimization process.  It's way easier than having to check and uncheck those checkboxes every time you want something to stay the same (or start optimizing again).

18 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Basically it just removed any variables and constraints associated with that event from being included in the optimization process.  It's way easier than having to check and uncheck those checkboxes every time you want something to stay the same (or start optimizing again).

okay but still unclear on the second part of my question - which is if you have anything checked manually is it supposed to remain that way? Cause right now it doesn't uncheck anything if you toggle it while an optimization is already active (nor does it check anything else)

21 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

okay but still unclear on the second part of my question - which is if you have anything checked manually is it supposed to remain that way? Cause right now it doesn't uncheck anything if you toggle it while an optimization is already active (nor does it check anything else)

No, it doesn't check or uncheck any of the boxes.  That's the beauty of it, actually: if you want to easily disable optimization temporarily on an event, you can do so with one menu option, and then restore it with that same menu option.  No more tedious clicking and all that. :)

can the dirty file asterisk appear after the title for LVD and MA rather than the filepath? Some of mine get pretty long and I can no longer see it. Alternatively just show the filename in the title bar rather than the full path, which shows up in the log after loading anyway

On 4/17/2019 at 2:28 AM, Drew Kerman said:

can the dirty file asterisk appear after the title for LVD and MA rather than the filepath? Some of mine get pretty long and I can no longer see it. Alternatively just show the filename in the title bar rather than the full path, which shows up in the log after loading anyway

I've done the latter.  Will be in the next release.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:51 AM, Drew Kerman said:

also when you go to open an SFS file to import orbital data, the file dialog window remembers the last location you loaded something from. Would it be easy to also have the File Open/Save As dialogs to do the same?

Done.  I actually thought it was doing this, so definitely a bug.  Whoops...

Hi everyone,

Tonight I've compiled the 9th pre-release of KSPTOT v1.6.3.  Here's the change log:

• Updates to the included bodiesSolarSystem.ini file, primarily in the gravitational parameter of the included bodies.
  • MA/LVD: Title bar for application now only shows file name and not file path of currently loaded file.
  • LVD/MA: Open/Save_As functions now remember the last selected location.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or see any other issues.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

but no need to regenerate any that we may have made ourselves right?

Correct.  This was purely to update some gravitational parameters in the included file based on newer data released by NASA JPL.

7 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Correct.  This was purely to update some gravitational parameters in the included file based on newer data released by NASA JPL.

ahhh I didn't look closely at the name of the bodies file and realize it was for RSS support :P

On 4/26/2019 at 5:27 AM, Drew Kerman said:

small tweak request to the auto-naming of Other Vessels - allow it to only do that if the vessel title is still "New Spacecraft"

Remind me how this works again now?

Edited by Arrowstar

3 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Remind me how this works again now?

It happens when you load a craft from an SFS file. I can't recall if it also works when you load data straight from the game too - I'll try to remember to check next time I have it open

10 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

It happens when you load a craft from an SFS file. I can't recall if it also works when you load data straight from the game too - I'll try to remember to check next time I have it open

Oh right.  I'll probably put in a quick dialog box that prompts the user to select if they want the name updated or not if the name is not the default name.  Good suggestion.

2 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

In Launch Vehicle Designer, if there was a way for users to input drag coefficient and area (probably as a product, Cd*A) as a table with respect to Mach number, angle of attack, and side slip angle, would this be useful?  @Drew Kerman?

I can't say yet if this would be useful given my limited experience with LVD still. I'm okay with the manual Cd updates via non-sequential events for now - I will continue to evaluate the performance of LVD compared to my actual launches and if I find that I'm spending a lot of time tweaking my Cd updates to get an acceptable result I will reference back to your post above and ask that it be implemented. I think the best use of this would be that big changes to the launch profile would be easier to manage, but I wouldn't really get into Cd stuff until I had the general ascent nailed down anyways so by the time I'm tweaking drag there shouldn't need to be any big changes made

18 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Done for next release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 11:44 PM, Drew Kerman said:

so since I'm waiting on the timer issue so I can properly stage, I put a place-holder non-sequential event in so I could label it "2nd stage ignition over 30km" since that's when my 2nd stage engine pushes out at a decent 1.2 TWR. I just created the event with the label and didn't change the termination event from 0s elapsed time. LVD did not like that :P It churned over to the max simulation time. I changed the termination event to 1s and it re-worked the script fine. So maybe an issue with 0s elapsed non-sequential events in general? Dunno, I'm done for the night

Oh, maybe add that MA notes functionality into LVD? I have on occasion had some ascent things calculated outside of LVD that I wasn't ready to put into the ascent program yet and had to store in an external text file until I was ready for it some days later

Issue finally resolved for next release.

Hello everyone!

This evening I'm pleased to announce the release of the KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.3.  This release brings with it a host of new functionality across the spectrum of the KSPTOT application suite.  The biggest new announcement is the inclusion of a new tool, the Vehicle Sizing Tool, or VST!  The purpose of the Vehicle Sizing Tool is to allow KSP engineers to optimize vehicle masses while still hitting required mission delta-v across any number of mission phases and vehicle stages.  As an example, you can use VST to plan a mission from Kerbin to Eve and back again, accurately sizing the vehicle for each leg of the journey and each stage of each of those legs.  Never again will you need to question whether you've brought enough propellant on your interplanetary missions!  Or even just those short hops to Low Kerbin Orbit. :)

Other enhancements include some new Graphical Analysis tasks for Mission Architect (MA) and Launch Vehicle Designer (LVD), as well as a host of performance improvements and bug fixes for the same.  Multi Flyby Maneuver Sequencer (MFMS) has also gotten a bit of love this go around with some new functionality for constraining your preliminary planetary tour mission designs.

Finally, there is a new Launch Vehicle Designer tutorial included in the download package.  Entitled "Eve: The Final Frontier", this tutorial walks users through a complete mission analysis cycle for a complete Eve-and-Back mission.

Here's the complete change log:

• NEW TOOL: Vehicle Sizing Tool (VST).  Allows engineers to optimize a spacecraft or launch vehicle's mass while targeting mission Delta-V or a variety of mission phases and vehicle stages.
  • NEW TUTORIAL: "Eve: The Final Frontier", a Launch Vehicle Designer tutorial.
  • LVD: Added third body gravity force model.
  • LVD: Fixed bug with setting the initial state of t2t and e2t connections (if there were none of those types of connections).
  • LVD: Fixed bug with setting the initial state of t2t and e2t connections (if there were none of those types of connections).
  • LVD: Converted the velocity components of the body fixed initial state frame to use az el and magnitude
  • LVD: Can now plot body-fixed rotating trajectories as well as 2D lat/long ground tracks.
  • MEA: Resolved issue with maneuver node import.
  • KSPTOT RTS: Resolved issue where the RTS host wasn't being saved (getting overridden with empty str)
  • LVD/MA: Added tooltips to the optimization var bars in the observe optim GUI.
  • RMS: Now can minimize only the first burn of the burn seq.
  • RMS: Better plotting for hyperbolic orbits.
  • MA: Fixed string error in InsertDVManeuver
  • MA: Added a burn dv magnitude to the insert dv maneuver UI.
  • MA: Fixed a bug with the lb/ub textboxes not being disabled when burn type changed.
  • LVD/MA: Added a new C3 constraint to MA and LVD.
  • LVD: Fixed plotting children bodies around Sun (or top level solar system body)
  • LVD: Added new Eve sample return mission case
  • LVD: Fixed title of Set Stage State UI.
  • LVD: Fixed issues with deleting variables improperly
  • LVD: Fixed issue with thrust being reported incorrectly if throttle is > 0 but all connected tanks to an engine are empty.  Now reports zero for that engine as expected.
  • LVD: Fixed issue when trying to create an Add Mass to Tank action
  • LVD: Added ability to activate/deactivate constraints without deleting them.
  • LVD: Added undo/redo states to most of the integrator/optimization option menu callbacks
  • MA: Added line width to Other Spacecraft
  • LVD: Added Mission Notes like MA
  • LVD: Fixed issue with stop watch termination condition
  • LVD: New Cd default for aero drag state is 0.3
  • MA: Added a GA task for "elevation of celestial body".
  • MA: Ground stations can now be placed down to the center of central bodies (allowable altitude range changed).
  • MFMS: Added ability to include or not departure and arrival Vinf from the MFMS objective function
  • MFMS: Added arrival VInf vector components
  • MA/LVD: Title bar for application now only shows file name and not file path of currently loaded file.
  • MA/LVD: Added atmo press and density tasks to GA
  • MA: UI now prompts users to change other s/c name when importing if name is not the default New Spacecraft
  • MA/LVD: Added Mach Number GA task
  • LVD: Resolved issue with non sequential events that occur immediately at the start of a sequential event causing the integration to go to the limits.
  • LVD: Updated some LVD Example MATs to fix non satisfied constraints.
  • ...and many more LVD performance enhancements and some other minor applicaton-wide bug fixes.

As usual, the download is available in the first post of this thread. If you have any questions or discover any bugs, please drop me a line in some fashion to let me know and I'll do my best to address it! In particular, it would be great if those using the Linux version could provide any feedback on how it's working out. There are some known graphical issues, but those aside, if you discover any bugs that appear to be Linux-related, please let me know. Thanks!

Finally, if you enjoy using KSPTOT and its many applications (the Porkchop Plotter, Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer, Mission Architect, Launch Vehicle Designer, and all the rest), please consider buying me a coffee via my Ko-Fi account to support KSPTOT's development. As I note in the first post of this thread, KSPTOT is a labor of love that I have put many, many hundreds of hours into for the benefit of the KSP community. The best part of it for me, aside from knowing that KSPTOT is the premier mission design tool for KSP, is all the thank you notes I've received over the years. I offer this as another way to say "Thank you!", if you so desire.

pFX1IYV.png

In any event, I hope you all enjoy! Happy orbiting!

Edited by Arrowstar

Hi, I try this tool to plan mission around Mun. I want to position some satellites.

But when I try to select bodies, I cannot select Departure > Kerbin and Arrival > Mun.

If I pick "Sun" as Central Body, then I can select "Kerbin" for Departure, but then there is no Mun.

If I pick "Kerbin" as Central Body, then I can select "Mun" for Arrival, but I cannot select "Kerbin" for departure.

Can someone please explain how to use it?

16 hours ago, guitarxe said:

Hi, I try this tool to plan mission around Mun. I want to position some satellites.

But when I try to select bodies, I cannot select Departure > Kerbin and Arrival > Mun.

If I pick "Sun" as Central Body, then I can select "Kerbin" for Departure, but then there is no Mun.

If I pick "Kerbin" as Central Body, then I can select "Mun" for Arrival, but I cannot select "Kerbin" for departure.

Can someone please explain how to use it?

Yea, look at the wiki: https://github.com/Arrowstar/ksptot/wiki/How-to-Plan-Trajectories-from-Planets-to-Moons-(or-vice-versa)

something I'm wondering about that's not a big deal right now but might be as I get to larger and taller rockets - what exactly does altitude reference in LVD? I would assume given that a rocket tends to get smaller from the bottom up that LVD's altitude would be where the nose of the rocket is rather than the tail. Also that's the point where the rocket is interacting first with the air so it makes sense.