[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

On 12/23/2016 at 10:42 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Compiling the list now, throwing this up for a reference to link to. I have the stock KSP save file and a MAT from that save file showing the trajectory seeming to hit Mun's SOI as depicted by the figure window when toggling SOIs visible.

Download link

Hey there @Drew Kerman,

So I just had a chance to look at this and it doesn't look like there are any active flights in the SFS file you provided.  Can you check again and provide me an updated SFS showing the issue?

Thanks!

On 12/23/2016 at 10:42 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Compiling the list now, throwing this up for a reference to link to. I have the stock KSP save file and a MAT from that save file showing the trajectory seeming to hit Mun's SOI as depicted by the figure window when toggling SOIs visible.

Download link

Turns out this one was an issue with the strict SoI search setting.  Setting it to true eliminates the SoI encounter, setting it to false finds it.  Has to do with the large angle between the orbit normal vectors of the spacecraft and Mun.  I'm going to default that setting to Off (or false) for the next release.  Should help remove some of the issues people have been seeing.

On 11/8/2016 at 4:20 PM, Drew Kerman said:

would it be possible for the Figure window to maintain the plot box position when you rotate? If you're not sure what I'm talking about just do those steps - open a Popout Orbit Display, click the hand tool and pan the plot around a bit, click the rotate tool and notice when you rotate the plot box is moved back to the center of the window. Reason I'm asking is because you can't zoom in on something and rotate around it, when you pan to center it and rotate the box moves and the thing you centered on is no longer in view

What you're experiencing is built-in functionality.  Doesn't look like there's anything I can do about, can't find a work-around.  Sorry!

Right, okay, it's been a long time coming but here's the change log for the 4th pre-release of KSPTOT v1.5.6. 

• Fixed: Issue with missing matlabrc file.
  • Fixed: "Other Spacecraft window stays open on loading new project"
  • Fixed: "Enabling script->parallel throws error"
  • Fixed: "Copy/Paste orbit data does not include orbiting body"
  • Fixed: "Mission Architect optimization window no longer forces itself to front"while optimizing.
  • Fixed: "f(x) going from positive to negative messes up the middle chart in the Mission Optimizer window"
  • Implemented: "Notify user of successful tabular text output when using a saved mission file"
  • Fixed: "KSP TOT still expects anomalies in the range of [0, 360]"  KSPTOT no longer returns anomalies outside of [0, 360]
  • Updated: "bodies.ini GM/Atmosphere/Rotational periods" - now compatible with KSP 1.2
  • Fixed: "No trajectory plotted through Kerbin SOI for asteroid coming from sun orbit"
  • Updated: Mission Architect SoI search mode no longer starts out "strict"
  • Fixed: "Mun SOI intercept not found on trajectory that passes through Mun’s SOI"
  • Fixed: "KSPTOT will get orbit info, but will not read maneuver nodes"
  • Implemented: "Other Spacecraft dialog has disabled input if no vessels listed until Add Spacecraft button is clicked"
  • Implemented: "In the execution assistant, add ability to right-click and read next maneuver node from KSP"
  • Implemented: " In the Orb Ops console, display the maneuver node's True Anomaly, to match what the execeution assistant wants"

This is all of the KSP 1.2.2 compatibility, most of the bug fixes, and perhaps half of the suggestions compiled by @Drew Kerman here.  The only bug I wasn't able to get to I'm awaiting clarification on from Drew (posted about it earlier today).  Most of the suggestions I didn't get to are either not going to be implemented in general (such as Sigma Binary compatibility) or would take a bit more work than I have available time today (such as " Specify interval of tabular text output").

My goal is to get this pushed out as the official 1.5.6 release by tomorrow if possible.  If there's anything that people see as missing or desperately want, please let me know and I'll do my best to get it in ASAP. 

Here's the download link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29126891/KSPTOT_v156_prerelease4.zip

Please give this revision a bit of a test and see if there's anything that's blatantly not working for you somewhere.  I touched a lot of code to pull this all off, and while I did my own testing and everything appears to be fine, you know how those little pesky bugs go. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by Arrowstar

1 hour ago, Arrowstar said:

What you're experiencing is built-in functionality.  Doesn't look like there's anything I can do about, can't find a work-around.  Sorry!

was afraid of this, but it seemed like such dumb behavior I was hoping it wasn't :P Bummer! Hopefully Matlab themselves fix it someday

50 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

The only bug I wasn't able to get to I'm awaiting clarification on from Drew (posted about it earlier today).

Wait I'm confused - the two posts you made to me earlier today seem to be about the same issue and the second post sounds like you resolved it.

53 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:
  • Fixed: "No trajectory plotted through Kerbin SOI for asteroid coming from sun orbit"
  • Fixed: "Mun SOI intercept not found on trajectory that passes through Mun’s SOI"

These two issues IIRC are the only ones I posted an SFS file for. Not sure which issue you're still waiting on

11 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Wait I'm confused - the two posts you made to me earlier today seem to be about the same issue and the second post sounds like you resolved it.

My mistake!  I got confused with another post.  The bug I was thinking of was this one:   "Maneuver upload does not result in SOI hit ".  I think you're okay, I don't think I need anything else from you.

I appear to have resolved it?  Or at least I can get it work when I try it out myself: http://imgur.com/a/OoQ5r

I suppose I'll also mark this one resolved unless someone can demonstrate otherwise.

Found this program for the first time last night and fell in love. Such a fantastic tool. Spent so much time "playing" with it I didn't actually even get to my mission in KSP. Need to do a little more digging to figure out how to use it for my RO/RSS install. 

Still learning how to use it but just wanted to send a note saying thank you. 

Edited by Basto

11 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I'll run some quick tests tonight.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Basto said:

Found this program for the first time last night and fell in love. Such a fantastic tool. Spent so much time "playing" with it I didn't actually even get to my mission in KSP. Need to do a little more digging to figure out how to use it for my RO/RSS install. 

Still learning how to use it but just wanted to send a note saying thank you. 

Happy to hear it!  If you're not using the current pre-release version that I posted a few posts up, I'd encourage you to use that.  It's more up to date for KSP v1.2 and I fixed a fair few bugs. :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi, @Arrowstar, welcome back.

Loaded prerelease in a 1.2.2 career save. Tried a Minmus to Mun plot.  When I tried to calc departure burn, I imported my current orbit and got a negative mean anomaly and the error message that it has to be between 0,360:

SDM5Ii5.png

j0Ku4we.png

Let me know if you need anything else

18 minutes ago, Gilph said:

I imported my current orbit and got a negative mean anomaly and the error message that it has to be between 0,360

Do you mean that the import was done via the KSPTOTConnect plugin? If so then you have an older version of the plugin.

On 1/7/2017 at 10:47 PM, Arrowstar said:

Fixed: "KSP TOT still expects anomalies in the range of [0, 360]"  KSPTOT no longer returns anomalies outside of [0, 360]

23 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Do you mean that the import was done via the KSPTOTConnect plugin? If so then you have an older version of the plugin.

I just checked..am using the version included in the prerelease4 download.  Recopied, compared files to see I had the correct one, still have the error

Just now, Gilph said:

I just checked..am using the version included in the prerelease4 download.  Recopied, compared files to see I had the correct one, still have the error

Thanks for the report. Can you walk me through the exact steps I need to follow in order to reproduce this. Clearly I missed something somewhere. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Arrowstar said:

Thanks for the report. Can you walk me through the exact steps I need to follow in order to reproduce this. Clearly I missed something somewhere. Thanks!

Sure:

1. Loaded save with a vessel orbiting Minmus, selected it, stayed in flight scene
  2. Start TOT 1.5.6, pr4, set to Kerbin time
  3. Compute porkchop from Minmus to Mun, parameters are in my post
  4. Selected Compute departure burn, imported the active vessel orbit parameters, shown above.  Mean anomaly is negative. When I hit compute, i get the error message.

When I checked after Phineas posted, I brought up the Mechjeb orbit screen. The ordinal part of the imported MA matches what MJ displays, but MJ does not display the sign.  It counts from 0 to 180, then counts down from 180 to 0.  When it is counting down, TOT imports a negative MA number.  Not sure if that's useful, but it's the only other mean anomaly indicator I have.

6 hours ago, Gilph said:

Sure:

1. Loaded save with a vessel orbiting Minmus, selected it, stayed in flight scene
  2. Start TOT 1.5.6, pr4, set to Kerbin time
  3. Compute porkchop from Minmus to Mun, parameters are in my post
  4. Selected Compute departure burn, imported the active vessel orbit parameters, shown above.  Mean anomaly is negative. When I hit compute, i get the error message.

When I checked after Phineas posted, I brought up the Mechjeb orbit screen. The ordinal part of the imported MA matches what MJ displays, but MJ does not display the sign.  It counts from 0 to 180, then counts down from 180 to 0.  When it is counting down, TOT imports a negative MA number.  Not sure if that's useful, but it's the only other mean anomaly indicator I have.

Thanks.  I've resolved the issue and it should be definitively fixed for KSPTOT v1.5.6. :)

Possible bug report I forgot to include in my original list - have known about it for a while just kept forgetting to report it! Sorry I don't even have a v1.2.2 environment yet to test the latest release in so this is coming from the v1.1.3 release but I don't recall seeing it addressed in any change notes. Repro steps:

1. open Rendezvous Maneuver Sequencer
  2. select the orbit of Mun
  3. copy the orbit of Mun to clipboard
  4. open Mission Architect
  5. open Other Spacecraft window
  6. click Add Spacecraft
  7. paste orbit data
  8. close the window

The data you just pasted will not be saved. Same thing happens if you have more than one spacecraft in the list and you paste the data, then right afterwards select another spacecraft - when you go back to the craft you pasted data in the data will not have been saved. You have to select/modify some other parameter for the spacecraft to be updated properly - even if you just select the name and press Enter

20 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Possible bug report I forgot to include in my original list - have known about it for a while just kept forgetting to report it! Sorry I don't even have a v1.2.2 environment yet to test the latest release in so this is coming from the v1.1.3 release but I don't recall seeing it addressed in any change notes. Repro steps:

1. open Rendezvous Maneuver Sequencer
  2. select the orbit of Mun
  3. copy the orbit of Mun to clipboard
  4. open Mission Architect
  5. open Other Spacecraft window
  6. click Add Spacecraft
  7. paste orbit data
  8. close the window

The data you just pasted will not be saved. Same thing happens if you have more than one spacecraft in the list and you paste the data, then right afterwards select another spacecraft - when you go back to the craft you pasted data in the data will not have been saved. You have to select/modify some other parameter for the spacecraft to be updated properly - even if you just select the name and press Enter

Thanks for the report!  Issue resolved for next release, which will hopefully go out tonight unless anyone reports something major between now and then. :)

Hi all!

I'm happy to announce that the next release of the KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool, version 1.5.6, has been released!  This one has been a long time coming and I appreciate everyone's patience while I sorted through life and bug fixes to get this ready.  Most prominently, this release supports KSP v1.2.x, but there are also a number of other fixes and enhancements in this point release.

Here is the complete change log:

• Added hyperbolic velocity unit vector constraints to Mission Architect
  • Added hyperbolic velocity unit vector component tasks to Mission Architect Graphical Analysis
  • Added ability in Mission Architect for impulsive maneuvers to be split by burn duration as well as delta-v
  • Fixed bugs in Mission Architect's Convert Impulsive Maneuver and Split Impulsive Maneuver functions
  • Added solar beta angle task to Mission Architect Graphical Analysis
  • Fixed bug with computing event duration in Mission Architect
  • Added stock comm max range model (sqrt(r1*r2)) to Mission Architect comm network analysis tool.
  • Resolved issue with Mission Architect where trying to open up two sessions of MA would kill the first session without any prompting.
  • Resolved issue with Mission Architect where the number of revolutions in a coast would be computed incorrectly when opening the Edit Coast dialog box.
  • KSPTOTConnect updated for KSP v1.2.
  • KSPTOT Real Time System now uses skin temperature in the thermal console screen.
  • Open Mission Plan and New Mission Plan menu items in Mission Architect no longer prompt about unsaved work if the mission plan is fulled saved with no outstanding changes.
  • Fixed: Issue with missing matlabrc file.
  • Fixed: "Other Spacecraft window stays open on loading new project"
  • Fixed: "Enabling script->parallel throws error"
  • Fixed: "Copy/Paste orbit data does not include orbiting body"
  • Fixed: "Mission Architect optimization window no longer forces itself to front"while optimizing.
  • Fixed: "f(x) going from positive to negative messes up the middle chart in the Mission Optimizer window"
  • Implemented: "Notify user of successful tabular text output when using a saved mission file"
  • Fixed: "KSP TOT still expects anomalies in the range of [0, 360]"  KSPTOT no longer returns anomalies outside of [0, 360]
  • Updated: "bodies.ini GM/Atmosphere/Rotational periods"
  • Fixed: "KSPTOT will get orbit info, but will not read maneuver nodes"
  • Implemented: "Other Spacecraft dialog has disabled input if no vessels listed until Add Spacecraft button is clicked"
  • Implemented: "In the execution assistant, add ability to right-click and read next maneuver node from KSP"
  • Implemented: "In the Orb Ops console, display the maneuver node's True Anomaly, to match what the execution assistant wants"
  • Implemented: "MA save dialog notes if save file is dirty or not"
  • Fixed: Resolved issue where pasting an orbit into the MA Other Spacecraft window would not apply that orbit to the selected spacecraft.

As usual, the download link is located on the first post of this thread.

Please let me know if you have any questions or find any issues with the software.  Happy orbiting!

@Arrowstar, Thanks very much for the update.

Have been thinking about putting a relay station for interplanetary support.  I was considering putting a relay in orbit around the sun with the same radius as Kerbin, but at a 90-120 degree angle so the Sun will never be blocking.  I guess this means a two burn solution: going into solar orbit to some apoapsis, and then returning to the Kerbin orbital track, only Kerbin is ahead/behind by 90-120 degrees.  Can TOT calculate that? Thanks

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

@Arrowstar, Thanks very much for the update.

Have been thinking about putting a relay station for interplanetary support.  I was considering putting a relay in orbit around the sun with the same radius as Kerbin, but at a 90-120 degree angle so the Sun will never be blocking.  I guess this means a two burn solution: going into solar orbit to some apoapsis, and then returning to the Kerbin orbital track, only Kerbin is ahead/behind by 90-120 degrees.  Can TOT calculate that? Thanks

It can indeed.  You could do a simple plan using the Rendezvous Maneuver Planner.  Just use Kerbin's orbit as the initial starting point and Kerbin's orbit + change the True Anomaly to whatever you'd like as the final orbit. 

Once you get that figured out, then you can model the whole mission in Mission Architect to figure out exact burns and all that.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Yep...Rendezvous Maneuver to the rescue, again.

To keep it simple, I launched the relay and just snuck it out of Kerbin SOI, so it was just next to it in a solar orbit. Imported that into RMP and picked Kerbin as the destination.  Changed the Mean Anomaly at the destination until I got the spacing i wanted.  It was a 760 ms burn, and a slightly larger one 1Y80D later.  Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Gilph said:

Yep...Rendezvous Maneuver to the rescue, again.

To keep it simple, I launched the relay and just snuck it out of Kerbin SOI, so it was just next to it in a solar orbit. Imported that into RMP and picked Kerbin as the destination.  Changed the Mean Anomaly at the destination until I got the spacing i wanted.  It was a 760 ms burn, and a slightly larger one 1Y80D later.  Thanks again.

No problem!  Glad you got it to work!  Sometimes the simple tools are the best ones when there's a tool exactly designed for the problem you're trying to solve. :)