[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

I swear I'm not piling on all these suggestions cause I know you're busy :P

How about additional data in the LVD Edit Constraints box:

type (upper-lower)*scale [body] - event

Example:

QwcCwTV.png

would show up as:

Distance to Ref. Celestial Body (50-100)*2 [Mun] - Event 8

just so its easier to breeze over multiple constraints and be sure you have things set properly. Not just for the first run but later on in the design you want to change a couple and get interrupted while doing so and are like - wait did I change these? when you come back to it

• 2 weeks later...

heads up @Arrowstar I'm getting absurdly low output for Surface Velocity out of the GA tool (bottom is surface velocity, top is orbital velocity)

Oe2dFoy.png

whoops, forgot I had rolled back to PR9 - tested on the Release build and got the same thing tho

Edited by Drew Kerman

Has anyone ever reported any issues with the "Create Bodies file from KSP" option? Every time I try, it says I need to be in the flight scene with the KSPTOTConnect plugin active, which I am. The craft telemetry monitor thing works fine, so I know that the data is getting sent.

21 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Has anyone ever reported any issues with the "Create Bodies file from KSP" option? 

Not recently

supply your KSP version number, KSPTOT version number and a link to the .log file in your KSPTOT directory after you recreate the problem

I cannot finish laythe mission architect tutorial. I cannot  get close enough encounter to laythe after step 7.

Edit:Nvm the burn started too late.

It use alot of delta v to get into orbit tho.

Edited by ssd21345

On 6/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Not recently

supply your KSP version number, KSPTOT version number and a link to the .log file in your KSPTOT directory after you recreate the problem

KSP 1.7.0, KSPTOT 1.6.3, my ksptot.log file is empty. What I do is hop into a stock vessel on the launchpad, and then start up KSPTOT. I attempt to use the "Create new bodies file from KSP" button (I am playing in a pack that rescales and adds to the stock system.) It pops up a box saying that i need to be in the flight scene with KSPTOTConnect running, before prompting me to select a file.

2 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

KSP 1.7.0, KSPTOT 1.6.3, my ksptot.log file is empty. What I do is hop into a stock vessel on the launchpad, and then start up KSPTOT. I attempt to use the "Create new bodies file from KSP" button (I am playing in a pack that rescales and adds to the stock system.) It pops up a box saying that i need to be in the flight scene with KSPTOTConnect running, before prompting me to select a file.

Oh, you may be confused by the popup about needing to be in the flight scene. That's more of a warning than an error, a reminder of what conditions you need to have ready for it to work. It should work okay if you do as you describe above and save the file when asked

hrrmmmm... I just re-downloaded the latest KSPTOT release and I'm still seeing a 2.2 default drag coefficient when starting up LVD. Anyone else see that as well instead of the 0.3 default it should be now according to the latest change log?

On 5/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, Drew Kerman said:

something I'm wondering about that's not a big deal right now but might be as I get to larger and taller rockets - what exactly does altitude reference in LVD? I would assume given that a rocket tends to get smaller from the bottom up that LVD's altitude would be where the nose of the rocket is rather than the tail. Also that's the point where the rocket is interacting first with the air so it makes sense.

You can think of it as the center of mass of the rocket.  Yes, I know this moves as fuel drains, but that effect is so small that its impact on vehicle performance is negligible. :)

In other news, life has calmed down a bit so hopefully I can get to some of the comments that have been posted here in the past month. :)

7 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

In other news, life has calmed down a bit so hopefully I can get to some of the comments that have been posted here in the past month. :)

No rush on any of my stuff, I’m mostly away from home till after the 4th holiday weekend :P

On 5/18/2019 at 6:41 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I swear I'm not piling on all these suggestions cause I know you're busy :P

How about additional data in the LVD Edit Constraints box:

type (upper-lower)*scale [body] - event

Example:

QwcCwTV.png

would show up as:

Distance to Ref. Celestial Body (50-100)*2 [Mun] - Event 8

just so its easier to breeze over multiple constraints and be sure you have things set properly. Not just for the first run but later on in the design you want to change a couple and get interrupted while doing so and are like - wait did I change these? when you come back to it

I added tooltips to the items in the Edit Constraints dialog box listbox.  The format you had suggested didn't look good (too cluttered and possibility long) but the tooltip works alright.  It'll be in the first v1.6.4 build. :)

On 5/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, Drew Kerman said:

ok my turn for a question - how come this isn't working?

BKeJUqx.png

It runs all the way to the max propagation time but if I plot out that time:

8khijmx.png

bam - it crosses 12Mm altitude during this time. What gives?

Can I get a MAT file?

On 5/30/2019 at 11:14 PM, Drew Kerman said:

heads up @Arrowstar I'm getting absurdly low output for Surface Velocity out of the GA tool (bottom is surface velocity, top is orbital velocity)

Oe2dFoy.png

whoops, forgot I had rolled back to PR9 - tested on the Release build and got the same thing tho

If you're flying east, then surface velocity will be less than orbital velocity because the surface is rotating in the same direction as your orbit.  The surface of the Earth at the equator is moving 0.4 km/s so this is not that surprising.  But if you still think it's off and can provide a MAT file I'll take a look.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, Drew Kerman said:

hrrmmmm... I just re-downloaded the latest KSPTOT release and I'm still seeing a 2.2 default drag coefficient when starting up LVD. Anyone else see that as well instead of the 0.3 default it should be now according to the latest change log?

I'll take a look.  EDIT: Resolved for the next release. :)

Edited by Arrowstar

Hi everyone,

This afternoon I've built the first pre-release of KSPTOT v1.6.4.  This pre-release updates the following within Launch Vehicle Designer (LVD):

• Resolves an issue with the way non-sequential events are handled that could cause propagation to occur incorrectly.
  • Enhances propagation performance by minimizing the number of times state data are copied.
  • Added a validator that checks to see if a spacecraft is outside the SoI radius of the body it is currently orbiting.  Good for knowing if you need to tick that "consider SoI" checkbox.
  • The edit constraints dialog box now has tooltips for the listbox that shows the various constraints.  Displays bounds and scale factors.
  • Other minor performance tweaks.

If you use the non-sequential events within LVD, please consider updating to this release as the bug fix is fairly important.  Also please let me know if you see any issues with the way tank masses are being tracked, as this is directly impacted by bullet point #2.

Thanks and happy orbiting!

On 6/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, Arrowstar said:

If you're flying east, then surface velocity will be less than orbital velocity because the surface is rotating in the same direction as your orbit.  The surface of the Earth at the equator is moving 0.4 km/s so this is not that surprising.  But if you still think it's off and can provide a MAT file I'll take a look.

I've checked it against my actual data and it's way off. Use the last MAT file I linked you via PM. Here is the comparison:

qfL3BXX.png

As to the function value coast - I can't remember what I was doing in which file. When I see it again I will include a MAT file

Edited by Drew Kerman

57 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I've checked it against my actual data and it's way off. Use the last MAT file I linked you via PM. Here is the comparison:

qfL3BXX.png

I'll dig into it more and see what I can come up with.  Some preliminary tests I can didn't suggest anything was off but I'll need to check against KSP itself perhaps to see if that sheds any light.

Hi everyone,

Tonight I've built KSPTOT v1.6.4 pre-release 2.  This build is a performance-enhancing build designed to decrease the amount of time it takes to run a script.  Here's the change log:

• When the launch clamps are enabled, script propagation time has been decreased 5x to 10x for those events.
  • Added a new option to events: the integrator initial step size.  This can be used to improve propagator performance.  The default value tends to work just fine in most cases, though. :)
  • Some other minor performance tweaks.

Right now I've only got the Windows build up because the Linux build is taking forever.  But I'll add the linux binary to the ZIP when I have them done.

Please let me know if you find any bugs.  Thanks!

@Drew Kerman, I haven't had time to look into the surface speed issue yet.  It's on the agenda though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, Drew Kerman said:

qfL3BXX.png

As to the function value coast - I can't remember what I was doing in which file. When I see it again I will include a MAT file

I checked my "Surface Velocity" calculations in LVD against the last version of KER and KSP 1.7.  They matched down to the hundredth of a meter per second for the four different cases I looked at, so I'm thinking that maybe you're pulling the wrong value from kOS or comparing the wrong thing from LVD.  I would need to know more about the process you're using to be sure.

Only other thought would be that if the rotational period/rate of the body you're comparing against is wrong, that would also do it.  I checked Kerbin but not the other bodies, so if your data was from another body, that would be something to look into too.

Hrmmm, well I do have Kerbin’s rotation slowed slightly via Kopernicus cfg but outputting the bodies file should have picked that up right? I’ll take a closer look when I’m back home next week - it could be kOS getting the surface speed wrong instead. I don’t recall ever comparing it to the KER read outs in my launch vids

@Arrowstar I'm home and checked - my kOS numbers are spot-on but I think the real problem is LVD not properly accelerating the rocket - so the diff in speeds isn't calculation error but simulation error. Maybe not even simulation error I may have just set things up wrong. I will take more care on the next launch and see if I can remove the problem.

@Arrowstar both PR1 and PR2 of 1.6.4 give me the following error: Operands to the || and && operators must be convertible to logical scalar values

I see this in the Warnings & Alerts section when I create a new file, import data from the game, enter the TA from the imported data into a TA coast event and set the coast number to 1 (so, to propagate a single full orbit of the object). Reverted back to the 1.6.3 final release and it worked as expected

Edited by Drew Kerman