[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

Hey guys, I've been thinking about changing KSPTOT's logo for a little bit now and I wanted to ask your opinions.  I've been playing with Midjourney, the AI image generator, and it's come up with some pretty cool ideas for me.  Out of about 30 or so images, I've narrowed down the ones I really like to these four and I was wondering if you all had a preference.  "Keep the original logo" is also a preference too!

Keep in mind these have to be shown at ~50 px square and that they will have transparent backgrounds, not white or grey.

A) Da9MWHa.png

B) 1mCVLrm.png

C) EKViisc.png

D) hX2uTqk.png

What do you think?

I prefer the first one.   (With the disclaimer that I am just from viewing the full scale images.  I'm not sure whether/how much the rescale to 50x50 would affect that).

But ultimately it is your project Arrowstar, so pick whichever one you think is better.

2 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

I prefer the first one.   (With the disclaimer that I am just from viewing the full scale images.  I'm not sure whether/how much the rescale to 50x50 would affect that).

But ultimately it is your project Arrowstar, so pick whichever one you think is better.

Thanks!  You bring up a great point.  Here's what they would look like at 50 px x 50 px, which would be their approximate size as an icon.

A) 367xrpp.png

B) DSUQXf1.png

C) YZmVgwv.png

D) vUq7n11.png

I should have shared these as well. :)

Hey everyone, I've got some more news regarding visual changes to KSPTOT.  The other day I decided I was finally interested enough in adding a dark mode for the software, so I created what I call "visual themes".  These are user definable sets of colors applied to most UI elements that make up the KSPTOT GUI windows.  Going forward, KSPTOT will ship with two themes by default: the typical light theme and a dark theme.  However, there's nothing stopping you from using the Theme Editor to make your own. 

You can access the Theme Editor from the main KSPTOT GUI (View -> Edit Themes).  It looks like this.

yfGqXn0.png

Every type of editable widget has its own tab where you can set colors.  (In the future, I could also do fonts, but I'm leaving that out for now.)  An example representation of a GUI with the selected theme as currently defined is shown on the bottom of the window.  Here's I've got a "blue theme" defined, but there's nothing stopping you from going all unicorn vomit rainbows if you really want, haha.

You can select and apply a theme by double clicking on the theme in the list box on the left or by checking the Active Theme checkbox at the top of the UI.  The effects take place across every KSPTOT UI instantaneously.

I think Launch Vehicle Designer looks particularly good in a dark theme, but all tools and windows have this functionality.

payZQHR.png

Let me know what you think!

I have a small issue installing the MATLAB runtime library on Linux: running ./install (with and without root privileges) from the unzipped MATLAB directory (as written in the OP) does nothing, I tried plenty of things, none worked... And copy-pasting the files to /usr/local/MATLAB/R2022a/ doesn't work, either. Maybe there's an issue with the download link?

Apparently, running ./install is supposed to bring an installer window, but when I tried the window disappeared as soon as it appeared every time.

Using   -agreeToLicense yes -destinationFolder /usr/local/MATLAB/R2022a -mode silent   yields nothing.

P.S. I like the current icon better :)

2 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I have a small issue installing the MATLAB runtime library on Linux: running ./install (with and without root privileges) from the unzipped MATLAB directory (as written in the OP) does nothing, I tried plenty of things, none worked... And copy-pasting the files to /usr/local/MATLAB/R2022a/ doesn't work, either. Maybe there's an issue with the download link?

Apparently, running ./install is supposed to bring an installer window, but when I tried the window disappeared as soon as it appeared every time.

Using   -agreeToLicense yes -destinationFolder /usr/local/MATLAB/R2022a -mode silent   yields nothing.

P.S. I like the current icon better :)

Do you get any error messages in the terminal window?

3 hours ago, RaceToTheMun said:

any indepth tutorial on how to do a multi fly bys 

There isn't really, but the general idea with using Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer is:

1. Select your minimum and maximum launch bounds
  2. Set your waypoints, starting from your departure planets and ending with your final body you want to go to.  The middle bodies will be used for gravity assists.
  3. Set your initial orbit around the first waypoint body.
  4. Push the compute button.

Let me know if you have any particular questions!

19 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Do you get any error messages in the terminal window?

Nah, it literally just said "Installing... Finished."

In the meantime I checked my HD, nothing named "MATLAB" or "R2022a", except the unzipped directory in ~/Downloads.

1 minute ago, Nazalassa said:

Nah, it literally just said "Installing... Finished."

In the meantime I checked my HD, nothing named "MATLAB" or "R2022a", except the unzipped directory in ~/Downloads.

Does anything in this conversation help?

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/229857-why-do-i-see-preparing-installation-files-installing-finished-in-the-terminal-window-wh

On 3/26/2023 at 10:30 PM, Arrowstar said:

Thanks!  You bring up a great point.  Here's what they would look like at 50 px x 50 px, which would be their approximate size as an icon.

A) 367xrpp.png

B) DSUQXf1.png

C) YZmVgwv.png

D) vUq7n11.png

I should have shared these as well. :)

They are kinda cool, but less of a match of what TOT does than the original. so my first vote is to keep it, second will be D

On 3/29/2023 at 1:36 PM, Arrowstar said:

Hey everyone, I've got some more news regarding visual changes to KSPTOT.  The other day I decided I was finally interested enough in adding a dark mode for the software, so I created what I call "visual themes".  These are user definable sets of colors applied to most UI elements that make up the KSPTOT GUI windows.  Going forward, KSPTOT will ship with two themes by default: the typical light theme and a dark theme.  However, there's nothing stopping you from using the Theme Editor to make your own. 

You can access the Theme Editor from the main KSPTOT GUI (View -> Edit Themes).  It looks like this.

yfGqXn0.png

Every type of editable widget has its own tab where you can set colors.  (In the future, I could also do fonts, but I'm leaving that out for now.)  An example representation of a GUI with the selected theme as currently defined is shown on the bottom of the window.  Here's I've got a "blue theme" defined, but there's nothing stopping you from going all unicorn vomit rainbows if you really want, haha.

You can select and apply a theme by double clicking on the theme in the list box on the left or by checking the Active Theme checkbox at the top of the UI.  The effects take place across every KSPTOT UI instantaneously.

I think Launch Vehicle Designer looks particularly good in a dark theme, but all tools and windows have this functionality.

payZQHR.png

Let me know what you think!

Dark mode looks really good...

3 hours ago, AVaughan said:

I'm not sure how the install works on linux, but no possibility you are running out of disk space somewhere?  Possibly in some tmp directory where it tries to unpack everything?

I don't think it's running out of disk space, as I still have 360 GiB left.

On 4/2/2023 at 12:27 AM, Arrowstar said:

There isn't really, but the general idea with using Multi-Flyby Maneuver Sequencer is:

1. Select your minimum and maximum launch bounds
  2. Set your waypoints, starting from your departure planets and ending with your final body you want to go to.  The middle bodies will be used for gravity assists.
  3. Set your initial orbit around the first waypoint body.
  4. Push the compute button.

Let me know if you have any particular questions!

I copied the Manuever information but it doesn't intersect with Eve
The flyby is Ke-Ev-Mo btw

2 hours ago, RaceToTheMun said:

I copied the Manuever information but it doesn't intersect with Eve
The flyby is Ke-Ev-Mo btw

You're probably running into the "zero SOI radius" assumption.  It's a little complicated, but if you want to use MFMS results for actually running your manevuers, here's what you should do.

1. Generate the Flyby Maneuver Sequence.
  2. Tap the "Save Results to File for LVD" button and save the file to some location.
  3. Open Launch Vehicle Designer (LVD).
  4. In LVD, File -> New Mission Plan From MFMS Output.  Select the file you saved in Step (2).
  5. Optimization -> Optimize Mission.

See if that gets you a delta-v maneuver that intersects Eve.

Hey everyone,

There's another visual change coming to KSPTOT in the next version.  It's bothered me for a while now that the "main GUI" was always the porkchop plotter, since that isn't really the focus of the application anymore and hasn't been in years.  It stuck around in that role mostly for historical reasons.  I've decided to rework the user interface that you're presented with when you start KSPTOT.  Going forward, you'll see this instead.

Hp5w0T2.png

Like the other windows in KSPTOT, this one is theme-able as well.  I've moved the old "Tools" menu into this "Android home page" inspired layout and given each tool its own button and icon.  The old porkchop plot generator UI is still there under "Porkchop Plot Generator".   I think this will A) make it far more obvious that KSPTOT offers more than just porkchop plotting, and B) also make those tools a bit easier to access.

By the way, the icon for the Porkchop Plot Generator is temporary.  Unfortunately Midjourney stopped offering trials as I was generating icons, so I don't have that one yet.  If anyone has a Midjourney subscription and wants to help me generate an icon for it, please get in touch!

Speaking of icons, spoiler alert, I did pick a new KSPTOT icon and its there in the picture.    A new splash screen is coming too that I'm sort of excited to share with you in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. :)

5 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Nope.

I'm honestly not sure then.  You have no error messages, no logs, and apparently have permissions for everything.  I've never heard of this happening before.  Any chance the downloaded files are corrupted?  Can you try to download any of the other MCR packages and install them, just to see if they work?  Pick a couple from this list and see what happens: https://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/matlab-runtime.html

27 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

I'm honestly not sure then.  You have no error messages, no logs, and apparently have permissions for everything.  I've never heard of this happening before.  Any chance the downloaded files are corrupted?  Can you try to download any of the other MCR packages and install them, just to see if they work?  Pick a couple from this list and see what happens: https://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/matlab-runtime.html

I'll try. (in five minutes since I'm scheduling a system reboot rn)

27 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

A new splash screen is coming too

How long will it stay?