[WIN/MAC/LINUX] KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool v1.6.9 [New MATLAB Version!]

2 hours ago, Makrom said:

okay, I´m using the multi flyby maneuver tool and LVD,  I can do the trajectory and translate it to principia with some tweaking, but still got far from the planet, can´t find a way for to predict the desired altitude

Could you provide me with the LVD MAT case file you are working with?  It can be hard for me to understand what you're struggling with without being able to see it.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Arrowstar said:

Thanks!  And which part of the scenario is the problem?  Where are you not getting close enough?

Here, this is the application of the maneuver of that file into principia, I tweake a bit the time, I forward 215 days for the time of the maneuver,  also I tweak the timing of the maneuver as much as I could, as you can see the predicted trajectory is not even closer to the orbit of venus, , on the venus frame reference, the ship is very far, is not like the proposed trajectory of ksptot,

https://imgur.com/G9XoNVa

6 minutes ago, Makrom said:

Here, this is the application of the maneuver of that file into principia, I tweake a bit the time, I forward 215 days for the time of the maneuver,  also I tweak the timing of the maneuver as much as I could, as you can see the predicted trajectory is not even closer to the orbit of venus, , on the venus frame reference, the ship is very far, is not like the proposed trajectory of ksptot,

https://imgur.com/G9XoNVa

Can you send me a picture of what the trajectory looks like when you use the burns in KSP as provided by LVD?  And can you send another picture with a close up of the Kerbin departure burn?

Here's why.  I suspect that your departure burn isn't being modeled correctly and you're not in the right place.  That is, the true anomaly of the burn is probably not where you think it is in KSP.  There's basically no way for LVD to be as off as you're showing it is without there being a modeling error somewhere.  If you track that down, you should have the answer to the issue.

I am trying to run this on Linux but I keep getting an error message whenever I try to start it.

Here is the error:

MathWorks::System::IUserException in WebControllerFactory::create(): [Error using matlab.internal.cef.webwindow
MATLABWindow application failed to launch. Unable to launch the MATLABWindow application. The exit code was: 127

Error in matlab.internal.webwindow/createImplementation (line 315)

Error in matlab.internal.webwindow (line 163)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.platformhost.CEFFigurePlatformHost/createView (line 65)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.FigureController/createView (line 500)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.componentframework.WebComponentController/add (line 87)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.WebCanvasContainerController/add (line 43)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.componentframework.WebControllerFactory/create (line 94)

Error in projectMain (line 43)]

Any idea what might be causing this or what I might be able to do to solve this issue?

14 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Can you send me a picture of what the trajectory looks like when you use the burns in KSP as provided by LVD?  And can you send another picture with a close up of the Kerbin departure burn?

Here's why.  I suspect that your departure burn isn't being modeled correctly and you're not in the right place.  That is, the true anomaly of the burn is probably not where you think it is in KSP.  There's basically no way for LVD to be as off as you're showing it is without there being a modeling error somewhere.  If you track that down, you should have the answer to the issue.

I already did that with the previous pic, there you can see the trajectory as it results with the parameters provided by LVD, there s only 1 burn, principia predictions are very accurate, so there´s no need to do the burn.

I agree with you that there is a problem with the timing, that´s what I have seen from the beginning of this post, but, afaik, I just put the parameters provided by LVD into principia, with the results already known.

10 minutes ago, Makrom said:

I already did that with the previous pic, there you can see the trajectory as it results with the parameters provided by LVD, there s only 1 burn, principia predictions are very accurate, so there´s no need to do the burn.

I agree with you that there is a problem with the timing, that´s what I have seen from the beginning of this post, but, afaik, I just put the parameters provided by LVD into principia, with the results already known.

Okay, how about this.  Can you give me orbital elements for the vehicle immediately before and after the Kerbin departure burn when you execute it in KSP?

1 hour ago, PentaSteve said:

I am trying to run this on Linux but I keep getting an error message whenever I try to start it.

Here is the error:

MathWorks::System::IUserException in WebControllerFactory::create(): [Error using matlab.internal.cef.webwindow
MATLABWindow application failed to launch. Unable to launch the MATLABWindow application. The exit code was: 127

Error in matlab.internal.webwindow/createImplementation (line 315)

Error in matlab.internal.webwindow (line 163)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.platformhost.CEFFigurePlatformHost/createView (line 65)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.FigureController/createView (line 500)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.componentframework.WebComponentController/add (line 87)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.controller.WebCanvasContainerController/add (line 43)

Error in matlab.ui.internal.componentframework.WebControllerFactory/create (line 94)

Error in projectMain (line 43)]

Any idea what might be causing this or what I might be able to do to solve this issue?

Take a look at the Workaround section of this page.  Some of the comments may also have fixes you can try.  Substitute any reference to the MATLAB install directory with the MCR directory.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/397138-why-do-i-get-a-matlabwindow-application-failed-to-launch-error-when-launching-live-editor-app-des

4 hours ago, Arrowstar said:

Okay, how about this.  Can you give me orbital elements for the vehicle immediately before and after the Kerbin departure burn when you execute it in KSP?

I think I got it, taking care of closer timing and some tweaking on the final trajectory in Principia.

https://imgur.com/5hZj5sT

https://imgur.com/87KIf2U

Here you can see the differences between the data as come out from LVD and the tweaking on Prp

https://imgur.com/UekMdEx

In timing, LVD show 217 days, 4 hours and 33 minutes, in Prp is 217 days, 4 hours and 20  minutes, pretty close inmho

and this is my last test, to the left you see the LVD output without N-body gravity, to the right, the same maneuver but this time with N-body gravity, as you can see, there is no difference between both data outputs, except for the time, not sure if this is right.

https://imgur.com/xuPbQOW

Edited by Makrom

Hey @Arrowstar, hope all is well,

Just finished creating a new 1.12.5 save and installed MATLAB and your pre-release10. I'm getting this error when trying to import an orbit on the flight screen:

Spoiler

SPTOT v1.6.10 PR3
MATLAB 9.12.0.1956245 (R2022a) Update 2
DATE: 2023/03/16 00:00:33
========================================
Read doubles from KSPTOT Connect failed: Expected input to match one of these values:

'little-endian', 'big-endian'

The input, 'bigEndian', did not match any of the valid values.
    file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra0\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\createTcpIpClient.m'
    name: 'createTcpIpClient'
    line: 34

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra0\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\readDoublesFromKSPTOTConnect.m'
    name: 'readDoublesFromKSPTOTConnect'
    line: 17

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra0\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\getSingularOrbitFromKSPTOTConnect.m'
    name: 'getSingularOrbitFromKSPTOTConnect'
    line: 11

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra0\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\orbitPanelGetOrbitFromKSPTOTConnectActiveVesselCallBack.m'
    name: 'orbitPanelGetOrbitFromKSPTOTConnectActiveVesselCallBack'
    line: 4

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra0\KSPTrajector\kspTOT_SingleUIs\OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App.mlapp'
    name: 'OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App.getOrbitFromKSPActiveVesselMenu_Callback'
    line: 877

file: 'D:\MATLAB Runtime\v912\mcr\toolbox\matlab\appdesigner\appdesigner\runtime\+appdesigner\+internal\+service\AppManagementService.m'
    name: 'AppManagementService.executeCallback'
    line: 138

file: 'D:\MATLAB Runtime\v912\mcr\toolbox\matlab\appdesigner\appdesigner\runtime\+matlab\+apps\AppBase.m'
    name: '@(source,event)executeCallback(appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService.instance(),app,callback,requiresEventData,event)'
    line: 63

Index exceeds the number of array elements. Index must not exceed 0.

Error in getSingularOrbitFromKSPTOTConnect (line 16)

Error in orbitPanelGetOrbitFromKSPTOTConnectActiveVesselCallBack (line 4)

Error in OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App/getOrbitFromKSPActiveVesselMenu_Callback (line 877)

Error in appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService/executeCallback (line 138)

Error in matlab.apps.AppBase>@(source,event)executeCallback(appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService.instance(),app,callback,requiresEventData,event) (line 63)

Error using matlab.ui.internal.controller.WebMenuController/fireActionEvent
Error while evaluating Menu Callback.

The whitelist is OK, but it's weird I have no MATLAB path in my environment variables. Things run fine without, the errors are only if I try to use connect.

Appreciate any help, thanks

Hi everyone!

Tonight I've built KSPTOT v1.6.10 pre-release 4.  Here's the change log:

• LVD: Implemented ability to only plot certain events in the View Profiles.
  • LVD: Events are now numbered in the listbox string with equal number of digits for each event. Also frozen events now get a snowflake symbol instead of **.
  • LVD: Added DERIVEst method for computing gradients and Jacobians.
  • LVD: Fixed bug with getPositOfBodyWRTSun()
  • LVD: Update NOMAD 4 mex  that allows for parallel processing while optimizing.
  • Lots and lots of bug fixes, mostly within LVD.

@Gilph, there should be a fix in there for the bug you described.  Let me know if it worked or not.

As always, if you find any bugs, please let me know!  Happy orbiting. :)

Still errors, but slightly different. Trying to load orbit into the 2 burn orbit change tool

Spoiler

SPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/16 19:18:06
Warning: ReadAsyncMode is not a valid property for this interface.
Read doubles from KSPTOT Connect failed: Write to KSPTOT Connect failed: Expected input number 2, data, to be nonempty.
    file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\writeDataToKSPTOTConnect.m'
    name: 'writeDataToKSPTOTConnect'
    line: 49

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\readDoublesFromKSPTOTConnect.m'
    line: 46

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\getSingularOrbitFromKSPTOTConnect.m'

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\orbitPanelGetOrbitFromKSPTOTConnectActiveVesselCallBack.m'

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\kspTOT_SingleUIs\OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App.mlapp'

file: 'D:\MATLAB Runtime\v912\mcr\toolbox\matlab\appdesigner\appdesigner\runtime\+appdesigner\+internal\+service\AppManagementService.m'

file: 'D:\MATLAB Runtime\v912\mcr\toolbox\matlab\appdesigner\appdesigner\runtime\+matlab\+apps\AppBase.m'
    name: '@(source,event)executeCallback(appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService.instance(),app,callback,requiresEventData,event)'

Error in OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App/getOrbitFromKSPActiveVesselMenu_Callback (line 877)

Error in appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService/executeCallback (line 138)

Error in matlab.apps.AppBase>@(source,event)executeCallback(appdesigner.internal.service.AppManagementService.instance(),app,callback,requiresEventData,event) (line 63)

8 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Still errors, but slightly different. Trying to load orbit into the 2 burn orbit change tool

Hide contents

SPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/16 19:18:06
Read doubles from KSPTOT Connect failed: Write to KSPTOT Connect failed: Expected input number 2, data, to be nonempty.
    file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\writeDataToKSPTOTConnect.m'
    line: 49

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\readDoublesFromKSPTOTConnect.m'

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\getSingularOrbitFromKSPTOTConnect.m'

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\gui_setup\orbitPanelGetOrbitFromKSPTOTConnectActiveVesselCallBack.m'

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\kspTOT_SingleUIs\OptimalTwoBurnOrpoodleange_App.mlapp'

Thanks for the note.  That looks like just a warning, so you should still be able to upload a maneuver properly.  Does it not work for you? 

Regardless, I've got it fixed and I'll upload a new verison of PR4 here soon.

The warnings went away, but the same errors seem to be there. I tries to create a bodies file and it was not successful either

Edit1: I just tested with 1.6.9 standard release and all looks good.

Spoiler

KSPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/16 22:18:01
    line: 50

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\getBodiesINIFileFromKSP.m'
    name: 'getBodiesINIFileFromKSP'
    line: 8

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\kspTOT_SingleUIs\mainGUI_App.mlapp'
    name: 'mainGUI_App.createNewBodiesFileFromKSP_Callback'
    line: 321

Edited by Gilph

46 minutes ago, Gilph said:

The warnings went away, but the same errors seem to be there. I tries to create a bodies file and it was not successful either

Edit1: I just tested with 1.6.9 standard release and all looks good.

Reveal hidden contents

KSPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/16 22:18:01

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\helper_methods\ksptot_connect\getBodiesINIFileFromKSP.m'
    name: 'getBodiesINIFileFromKSP'
    line: 8

file: 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\me\mcrCache9.12\KSPTra1\KSPTrajector\kspTOT_SingleUIs\mainGUI_App.mlapp'
    name: 'mainGUI_App.createNewBodiesFileFromKSP_Callback'
    line: 321

Alright, go ahead and redownload the PR4 package once more.  I think I've got it figured out.  I honestly have no idea why this broke all of a sudden though.  Something changed here though at some point.  Hopefully these changes fix the issue.

Good Morning,

Getting closer. I was able to make a bodies file (the fclose warning occured when I did that), but the import into the 2 burn orbit change still throws the error.

FYI: I don't need the new PR functionality, 1.6.9 works for my use. This is not time sensitive for me, so there is no urgency on my part.  Are you able to reproduce?

Spoiler

_  __ _____ _____ _______ ____ _______ 
 | |/ // ____|  __ \__   __/ __ \__   __|
 | ' /| (___ | |__) | | | | |  | | | | 
 |  <  \___ \|  ___/  | | | |  | | | | 
 | . \ ____) | |      | | | |__| | | |  
 |_|\_\_____/|_|      |_|  \____/  |_|  
KSPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/17 07:44:34
Warning: The fclose method does not close the connection. Instead, clear the interface object to close the connection.

5 hours ago, Gilph said:

Good Morning,

Getting closer. I was able to make a bodies file (the fclose warning occured when I did that), but the import into the 2 burn orbit change still throws the error.

FYI: I don't need the new PR functionality, 1.6.9 works for my use. This is not time sensitive for me, so there is no urgency on my part.  Are you able to reproduce?

Hide contents

_  __ _____ _____ _______ ____ _______ 
 | |/ // ____|  __ \__   __/ __ \__   __|
 | ' /| (___ | |__) | | | | |  | | | | 
 |  <  \___ \|  ___/  | | | |  | | | | 
 | . \ ____) | |      | | | |__| | | |  
 |_|\_\_____/|_|      |_|  \____/  |_|  
KSPTOT v1.6.10 PR4
DATE: 2023/03/17 07:44:34
Warning: The fclose method does not close the connection. Instead, clear the interface object to close the connection.

I ended up reverting some files back to a late 2022 state and I think that's resolved it.  Give it one more go for me.

27 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

I ended up reverting some files back to a late 2022 state and I think that's resolved it.  Give it one more go for me.

Yep, was able to import orbit into a few different windows. Thanks very much.

3 minutes ago, Gilph said:

You also. Were you able to reproduce on your end? I would be concerned if I was the only one having the problem.

Yes, I was able to reproduce the issues on my end.  It was an issue with the new way that MATLAB implemented their tcp/ip connection interface.  Reverting to the old way resolved the issue.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some news regarding the next pre-release of KSPTOT, whenever it is that I decide to build that.  First, KSPTOT will be moving to MATLAB MATLAB R2023a as of the next PR.  This is primarily because there's a free 5%-10% performance increase that comes with this next version just about everywhere in KSPTOT, and I'd like you all (and me!) to be able to take advantage of it. 

Second, Launch Vehicle Designer (LVD) will be getting a slight appearance overhaul in a few ways as of the next pre-release.

1. There is now an option to display the color of sequential events as the text color in the listbox for easier identification of which event is which on the display.  The listbox background automatically adjusts to a tone of grey that best displays those colors.
  2. The warning and alerts area now has a new look that I think will be slightly less clunky and hopefully easier to read.
  3. There's a new option to completely get rid of the rulers and grids in the display area when you render the orbit.  You can now display or not the Axes box in your View Profiles.  (View -> Edit View Settings)

When all is said and done, here's what you end up with.  Let me know what you think!

hXYCEea.png