Favorite planet?

What's your favorite planet in the solar system(dwarf planets included) and why? Mines probably venus, its like a junkie screwup sister to the earth, yet still very fascinating from its rotation period to its weather patterns. its my dream to visit venus one day even if its a one way trip :sealed:

I think I'll have to go with Jupiter, named after the king of the gods and it's definitely the king of the solar system (if the sun doesn't count).

So many great works of fiction are set in the Jovian system and it works well since it's sort of like a scaled down version of the solar system, with destinations that are reachable within days, not years. You get variety, but in a convenient, easy to manage package!

... not too mention it just looks cool, what with the big red spot 'n all :cool:

Earth by far. As interesting as it would be to visit another planet, the Earth truly is an amazing place. It's the only planet I can walk around in a T-shirt, we have an amazing array of different of geographies, landscapes, and climates. The diversity of life we have here is truly mind boggling at times.

Got to agree with Spaceman Spiffy. Jupiter is like a giant space playground. So many awesome crazy moons. However, if we're not talking about moons at all, just the planet surface, then really I guess Earth is, but since we've had thousands of years to explore it (while we were a civilised species), Mars is probably the next one. The many ways it is similar and different to Earth, the geological features we're studying, all quite fascinating. Venus is pretty cool too, but it's scary.

But again, if you take moons into the question, Jupiter. I mean seriously, the Gallilean moons are amazing. They look like the sort of thing that could only be invented by a science fiction writer.

Edited by Kerbface

I would have to say, as of right now, 4 Vesta. I'll have to see if I change my post in 2014...

Vesta? But that's not a planet, it's an asteroid. Maybe Dwarf planet, I think there is a little bit of debate about that.

Vesta? But that's not a planet, it's an asteroid. Maybe Dwarf planet, I think there is a little bit of debate about that.

Vesta is classed as a "minor planet", along with about 570,000 other useless pieces of rock and dust.

Im divided between Mercury (because we know so little but know how little we know about it) or Makemake (because it sounds like something from lilo & stitch (hawaii anybody???) and it has no known satellites.

I'm a big fan of Jupiter. I'd like to imagine a bunch of helium-3 mining colonies floating around Jupiter in the future. Maybe even a cloud city

Jupiter has way too strong gravity for cities, but any other gas giant would do. On Jupiter, your city might float, but you'd be crushed.

Well my favorite in the Solar System is Mercury, It's tidaly locked so imagine the view on the Terminator line. My favorite Exoplanet however is Kepler 22B as it's theorized to be like Laythe and has potential for Extra Terrestrial Life.

I was about to say would it be cool to make anime characters based on the planets, and then I thought about it a bit more and laughed since it's been done before. Derp.

My favorite planet is Earth, since I live here. And also Tuxido Mask is dreamy.

Well my favorite in the Solar System is Mercury, It's tidaly locked so imagine the view on the Terminator line. My favorite Exoplanet however is Kepler 22B as it's theorized to be like Laythe and has potential for Extra Terrestrial Life.

Just so you know, MErcury isnt tidally looked. It is a 3/2 resonance. It was I believe Pioner 5 that passed by it on two different occasions, but it happend to pass after two orbits of mercury, so that myth started to prevail. Check out this link

Jupiter has always been scary to me, with its big red stormy spot and its agressive orange.

My favourite planet is Earth, I love the atmosphere, the views, it has this really cool moon you should definitely see it when you're there! Oh and the fact that my girlfriend lives on Earth gives it a few bonus points..

Second to earth it would be Saturn, the rings would be a brilliant sight, and there are tens of moons with a lot of unique features. the giant crater on mimas, the volcanic activities on Enceladus. don't get me started on Titan!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.