The opposite of a problem: Where Can I Go?

Usually when consulting a Delta-V map, you're trying to figure the Delta-V it will take to get somewhere. Well, I've made a pretty ship with less consideration for function than usual; where can I send it? With a set amount of Delta-V, how far can I go?

I found myself totting up and comparing stats and getting a pain in the head, so I decided to code something instead.

Where Can I Go?

http://gavingolden.com/wherecanigo/

Just stick in the Delta-V potential of your ship, let it know if you're already in orbit or not, and it'll tell you where you can go with it. All the info is taken from the KerbinDeltaVMap.png from the Wiki.

Except a little bit - I added a little indicator that says if it might be possible to aerobrake on the way. Because I don't have the maths for that, it's a flat 200m/s below the stated numbers from the map - but all it does is change the colour a bit to suggest that it might be possible. Suggestions for improvements of that welcome.

Bug fix 1.1: It was including the encounter value for landing on bodies twice. Must have been some nudity in Game of Thrones while I coded that line. Fixed!

1 April 2016: I updated the URL as the other domain expired while I've been trying to ignore KSP until antenna range works. Ignore the date, there's no surprises!

28 August 2019: Holy crap I'm still playing this game. URL was broken, updated it. Also, @severedsolo has made a nice in-game equivalent of this., check it out

Edited by GavinZac
Update URL

How do you compute the delta-v costs for each destination? :)

It's essentially using that map I linked to to get the delta-v costs for each body, just as you would if you were looking for a specific destination. Most of the time people are doing this for just one body and then designing a ship with that much delta-V to get them there.

This little app lets you say "I don't care about my destination, I just want to fly this ship!", and view at a glance the places it could take you.

This is a very cool thing! As a huge PHP fan, I say kudos sir!

...can I see your code?

Oh god! Sure, but please note it was banged out in 90 minutes so there is almost no commenting and there was no planning involved so some things are convoluted because they were actually meant to do other things... like Kerbal rockets, I guess.

Here's the source: http://mononyk.us/wherecanigo.php.txt

Oh god! Sure, but please note it was banged out in 90 minutes so there is almost no commenting and there was no planning involved so some things are convoluted because they were actually meant to do other things... like Kerbal rockets, I guess.

Here's the source: http://mononyk.us/wherecanigo.php.txt

Cool! Your first-draft code looks far neater and logical than mine usually does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
If you add a the best launch time for each possible place, checking your site will become a standard craft design/pre-launch step for me.

Wouldn't that change depending on the date in your game? I suppose, since everyone's Kerbal system starts off the same, it could just work it out from a date you've supplied.

Much as I like pageviews, it is possible to get those dates from Kerbal Alarm Clock, by asking to set an alarm for the next transfer window to whichever planet. I highly recommend the plugin itself anyway (it has completely changed the way I play the game, allowing fine grained control of multiple missions at once is great) so you should check it out.

I'm working on a Real Life project at the moment so I'll add that possibility to bottom of the todo list. Thank you for the suggestion and kind words.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Updated the URL.

Note that this will no longer be accurate from the launchpad as the 'new' atmospheric system means every launch is different, but from orbit to orbit it should be as accurate as ever.

• 10 months later...
17 minutes ago, toric5 said:

nice. the python version doesnt seem quite right though. it will only let me calc to the mun.

I'm not the author of any of this and don't provide support. Try submitting an issue:

https://github.com/Joshwoo70/wherecanigo/issues

... however, I suspect that you fell victim to the same bug that I did, by using Moho as your first test case; the labels are wrong for the Moho case:

elif place in ['Moho','moho']:
	print('Landed on Mun: ' + str(DV-LandedMoho) )
	print('14K Orbit around Mun: ' + str(DV-orbitMoho) )
	print('8 Hours Mun slingshot: ' + str(DV-MohoSlingshot) )

Edited by HebaruSan

This is a very interesting idea for a mod; I see the original concept is a few years old but awesome... Wonder If it'd also be easily doable to be able to specify what body the current ship is on in addition to allowing the other possible destinations (not nesscarly using a standard DV map). For example 2 extensions could be possible. 

1. Craft landed on Duna wanting to make a trip to Eve.

2. Craft in orbit/landed around Gilly wanting to goto Ike.

31 minutes ago, ToneStack said:

This is a very interesting idea for a mod; I see the original concept is a few years old but awesome... Wonder If it'd also be easily doable to be able to specify what body the current ship is on in addition to allowing the other possible destinations (not nesscarly using a standard DV map). For example 2 extensions could be possible. 

1. Craft landed on Duna wanting to make a trip to Eve.

2. Craft in orbit/landed around Gilly wanting to goto Ike.

You might be interested in my mod, link in my sig. It lists places you can go from the active craft's location by time and delta V, and it can automatically create maneuver nodes for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.