Greetings kerbalnauts

Jarin

Just discovered this game a week ago (I'd heard various things about it beforehand, but hadn't worked up the curiosity to look), and already "Kerbal Rocketry" is well on its way to replacing "Vogon Poetry" in my programming vocabulary (I.e. "It's Vogon poetry, but it'll do the job."). :D

Greatest achievement: Full two-tank refueling station at 150km (included achievement: learning to bloody dock) with a 4-way docking strut between them. I'd say return trip from the Mun, but I was following a tutorial video, so that hardly counts.

Funniest moment, imagining this scene at Kerbin Space Command:

"Sir, I have good news and bad news... the good news is, the nuclear engine test was a success!"

"Great! ... what's the bad news?"

"Well... we kind of forgot any batteries and didn't extend the solar panels... so the RGU died at full burn while orbit-correcting. The test frame is currently on its way past the Mun and looks to be escaping Kerbin entirely before it runs out of fuel."

SO, random stuff out of the way, I've got a couple questions. Firstly, I've been running stock everything to learn how the game works, but I'm curious about mods. Are there any that are considered pretty universal for use? I know almost everyone seems to use MekJeb, but what about others? I'd really like to avoid anything that's at all overpowered, but variety is nice. I've seen "Kethane" get mentioned a lot?

Secondly, I'm having issues with heavy-lifting. A six-way asparagus-staged system (3 pairs of large tanks + mainsails) is the best I've managed, but it's horribly unstable, both while staging (boom), and with spinning badly during burn. Besides-which, the entire concept of asparagus-staging, while clever and efficent, sort of strikes me as a kludge, and a sort of exploit to the lack of proper drag calculations. Any good recommendations for lifter designs, or where to get started?

(not-a-spambot-#1)

Hellow fellow kerbonaut! Loved the "vogon poetry" thing xD

About mods: well KSPX is a must have, as its dev is now part of the official dev team, so most parts will end up in the vanilla game. Kethane is a complete resources research/mining mod. A good alternative to mechjeb is Protractor. But the list is endless, you can find pretty much any thing you need.

About asparagus staging, it's kind of legit, although very hard to do IRL (there's a thread about this somewhere). Don't mind the spinning too much, it's harmless and actually pretty usefull when you jetison your boosters. And also, struts, struts, struts... But i'm no professionnal, check some tutorials on youtube to get examples (scott manley is the man)

Welcome aboard!