[In progress] Duneshot 7 - Mobile Command Vehicle/Operations Centre

RedDwarfIV

The Mobile Command Vehicle [also known as the Mobile Operations Centre] is a large rover capable of carring eight Kerbals [the current population of the Southern Duna Anomaly Research Site is 12] and speeds of up to 23.8m/s on Kerbin. It has its own thread in the Spacecraft Exchange here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36599-Mobile-Operations-Centre

L6JNHMm.png

iAT0oeb.pngGoddard_Engineering_Logo_resize.png

For Duneshot 7, we will be sending a multiple Kerbal mobile research platform and command vehicle, the Goddard Intrepid T-50, atop the Veto Aerospace Echo Light stack. The Echo Light is intended for payloads which will not weight heavily on the stack. Echo Standard launchers have been known to destroy themselves from the core stage being too overpowered for small payloads near or during booster seperation. This will be fitted with a Duna landing stage in orbit, one fitted with parachutes and retro thrusters, so that there will be no risk of parachutes ripping pieces from the vehicle itself when they open. Behind the landing stage, there will be one or more Jumbo-64 tanked interplanetary stages. Likely these stages will become new fuel storage sections for the spacestation in low Duna orbit.

nsjWYN6.jpg

cmPE8EX.png

WuXTxNk.png

edWEyue.png

JgqGl1r.png

yhNJJKt.png

6yny84e.png

DdjbYts.png

To be continued.

Edited by RedDwarfIV

My oddest looking rocket ever.

This is the Duna landing stage. It comes equipped with 12 side parachutes, 12 drogue parachutes, and two main parachutes, as well as six sets of small retro thrusters to ease landing. It is meant to use part of the interplanetary stage to slow for parachute speed.

ilg641N.png

I managed to get this into a highly elliptical orbit before losing electrical power.

Unfortunately, I discovered this upon docking:

gheN01g.png

XmRn1cK.png

I will be sending up a new MOCV with a more projected and ejectable docking port.

Edited by RedDwarfIV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.