Enjoy!

updated 21/06/2013

A simple rover building system.

Pack Includes:

Mk1-EF RollKage

RollKage Universal Extender

and 3 types of advanced Kerchelin wheels

Engine style RTG

The RollKage and extender parts come in 6 colours, To remove any colours you don't want permanently , simply delete the corresponding named cfg files inside the part folder.

(usually the cfg file is called 'part.cfg' but in this case it will be named red.cfg, yellow.cfg, etc)

WIP and stuff we are talking about adding:

tidy up the cfgs on the structural parts, make the parts weigh more

add a battery

add headlights

add an engine or generator (added)

add more wheels (added 1 set total 3)

add a pickup truck style piece

We hope you enjoy these parts. This is still work in progress. With the addition of a couple of stock pieces, you can make a very fun, very safe* buggy!

Original concept, bits and bobs, office teas and scones,design: AngusMcBeth

3D modelling and fixing AngusMcBeths models,design: Electronicfox

Wheel and suspension setup, design: Zitronen

Development thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/34014-WIP-Rover-RollKage

Please do not redistribute without prior consent.

FcZbDN2.png

onJIpYK.png

*no warranty implied

Edited by angusmcbeth

It was great fun to work with angus and electronicfox!

And there is still more to come...

I will add a list of planned additions asap. Electronicfox and Zitronen are halfway through working on a new set of wheels, and I will be making some basic parts, learning some more stuff about unity and losing my temper at blender. We do not expect to update for a couple of weeks and will probably only add a few parts here and there until we see how people use this pack.

Thanks

Angus

Edit:Wheels finished, adding tomorrow.

Edited by angusmcbeth

Just down loaded and tried. NICE.

Couple of comments:

While I was able to attach two seat one in front of the other, there is not a "pretty" way to add more than one seat. I would suggest making a additional part either wider or longer. Two to four Kerbal capacity would be nice. Is this what you me by a truck part?

There is no place to attach a probe core, orientated with the direction of the cage. Suggestion add a node at the back of the cage.

There is sizable jump on loading. I just tested on Kerbin, but it might be a problem on a low gravity world. Maybe having the shocks start extended? Would help with placement in the VAB/SPH too. This might be a limitation of the game I don't know.

Very Nice Mod, hope you continue development. By the way my test vehicle was .62 tons. Contained 2 extenders with wheels mounted, roll cage, short girder with 400 battery and probe core mounted "inside", and a two rtg on the side. During the test crash only the seat went flying. Considering the violence of the collision that is impressive.

Edited by Sathurn

Just down loaded and tried. NICE.

Couple of comments:

While I was able to attach two seat one in front of the other, there is not a "pretty" way to add more than one seat. I would suggest making a additional part either wider or longer. Two to four Kerbal capacity would be nice. Is this what you me by a truck part?

There is no place to attach a probe core, orientated with the direction of the cage. Suggestion add a node at the back of the cage.

There is sizable jump on loading. I just tested on Kerbin, but it might be a problem on a low gravity world. Maybe having the shocks start extended? Would help with placement in the VAB/SPH too. This might be a limitation of the game I don't know.

Very Nice Mod, hope you continue development. By the way my test vehicle was .62 tons. Contained 2 extenders with wheels mounted, roll cage, short girder with 400 battery and probe core mounted "inside", and a two rtg on the side. During the test crash only the seat went flying. Considering the violence of the collision that is impressive.

A wider version of the rollkage to accomodate more kerbals is placced.

For the wheels, they mus start in ther compressed state, this is a limitation of the game (I#d assume to prevent wheels clipping with the ground on loading).

Got any reference images of what you're after? I'll see if its within the realm of possibility.

Well I don't really know. Mostly just things that look more NASAish. But if you need ideas, you could do something like this:

B33F74B4-B41F-AF07-FD7B7C294F3C45F4_1.jpg

And if possible, maybe you could make some sort of omni-directional tire like this:

0-FT-MECANUM-SET.jpg

Well I don't really know. Mostly just things that look more NASAish. But if you need ideas, you could do something like this:

B33F74B4-B41F-AF07-FD7B7C294F3C45F4_1.jpg

And if possible, maybe you could make some sort of omni-directional tire like this:

0-FT-MECANUM-SET.jpg

The first would be possible, thats pretty simple, but the second would require some plugin magic, way out of our capabilities right now. We'll see how these sets go.

The first would be possible, thats pretty simple, but the second would require some plugin magic, way out of our capabilities right now. We'll see how these sets go.

I just remembered another one. Could you make the rover wheels from the .20 update video? Those things are beautiful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.