RollKage

angusmcbeth

More bits done. Some of you might not like the military look, but others will probably love it. There will of course be the usual array of bright colour (like the OLD rollkage)....possibly a shiny one too.

Single seater version remade with panniers and fuel tanks. Still some polishing to do. I suck at unwrapping and texturing, so back to basic colours again.

B1mEK7s.png

New Single seat rollkage stripped of parts

AIKKVvs.jpg

WideKage and extenders almost ready too

FaLCHDE.png

All working as it should (so far!) Although, Bill might not agree..

PSMa5Mp.png

I'll start a new development thread (instead of bumping this) as soon as I have new stuff ready to show.

Edited by angusmcbeth

Make an extender twice the length of the current ones so vehicles can have a longer, more stable wheelbase and Dunabuggies can be built with dimensions like a real VW Bug based dune buggy. Long in front, short in back.

Make an extender twice the length of the current ones so vehicles can have a longer, more stable wheelbase and Dunabuggies can be built with dimensions like a real VW Bug based dune buggy. Long in front, short in back.

Due to the way ksp works, you don't really need a too long wheelbase. A wide wheelbase is oftenly more important.

First of all, thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

Very nice.....and that Kerbal city mod has raised garages too......

Tommygun, I am sure your transport museum is doing well, I hope the new parts will make the grade!

Add KAS storage support to those panniers? My rovers always need a few parts replaced now and then...

I gained permission a while ago to add KAS tech to this parts pack. I might take this idea up, but I would like to learn to animate the part before I do this, so I can have an opening lid. What I really want to use KAS for is making a pack away shelter (tent?) that fits on the back and can be taken off and deployed, but I don't have the skills.

Due to the way ksp works, you don't really need a too long wheelbase. A wide wheelbase is oftenly more important.

I agree with both of you, a longer extender for coolness, but sideways tipping is a bigger problem for me in KSP than flipping. Wide wheelbase+ low center of gravity.

Any new pics? I can't wait for you to release the new parts!
Thank You Angus, love the new stuff already

Thanks guys! In real life I have been busy moving house (boring) AND having my first real life flying lesson (I have to get back up there ASAP! Brilliant!) Electricfox is too busy to help out, and Zitronen has other stuff to be getting on with (but he has offered to help with any plugin work or setting up wheels) So, its me only at the moment and progress hasn't been great. I'm not quitting though, just busy with other stuff that needs done. It'll take a while.

As the last screenshot had a military theme, I thought for balance I would make a screenshot more suited to the superior gender of our species. I would not want to appear sexist in any way and I'm not suggesting that ladies are not interested military stuff, but having said that, I would like to present the prototype for the rear wide extender, in HOT PINK!.....just look at all that room for the shopping!

IBjmrXi.jpg

Edited by angusmcbeth

While true, good luck fitting a decent amount of science equipment on a vehicle built with a short wheelbase.

I4DqyCM.jpg

That's one of the rovers I've built in career mode using these slidey wheels. It's virtually unflippable, even at 40+m/s, but due to it's relatively long wheelbase it can fit enough science gear to harvest entire nodes worth of science at once. So there is plenty of reason to have a long wheelbase in KSP.

It's also worth noting that that thing is bloody heavy. A hair over 2 tons last I checked. Need some carbon fiber chassis parts around here.....

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry guys. Real life in general is taking over for me at the moment ( Kids, Christmas shopping, the missus, etc....)

I will put a test version of the new cage up tonight for you to try out. It only has temporary colliders for now so it might be a bit fiddly.

I would like to add:

front and back nodes as requested

ability to change textures with gui

different shapes of the extender part

Large fuel tank for the wide rollcage

I will add these as time allows.

Again, sorry about keeping you waiting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.