RollKage

angusmcbeth

I don't know what it is, but your pictures look beautiful. Are you forcing Ambient Occlusion or something?

edit: Im guessing SSAO isn't a possibiltiy in this game yet, though.

I can't remember, I'll check when I get home but I don't think so as I tried manually forcing some options on like that via the GPU driver panel earlier and that... didn't go well.

I made sure to land right on the border of Münar twilight as I wanted to do some dark and light shots (you can probably see how flat the sunlight is coming in), but alas, I couldn't get a shot of one jumping over the other.

There are lights inside the vehicles, rendering is set too 'fantastic' (not sure what specific features that entails) at 2560x1440 using 8xAA with lights 64 and shadow cascade is up on 32, then imgur resizes them unless you link directly to the full resolution picture.

[edit] AO is grayed out as not supported, everything else is default (no app specific settings)

Edited by NoMrBond

Weapons, fancy wheel colliders, destructable terrain....these are all really nice....but all we really need is a halfpipe
A quarterpipe turned out to be more use-able than I'd imagined, I've increased the steering lock a bit to get rotation and the lip is a few degrees from vertical to make up for the spring decompression throwing it away from the ramp but it's working quite well. I don't think I can run the 400 parts to make a halfpipe though :(

s3w7.png

A quarterpipe turned out to be more use-able than I'd imagined, I've increased the steering lock a bit to get rotation and the lip is a few degrees from vertical to make up for the spring decompression throwing it away from the ramp but it's working quite well. I don't think I can run the 400 parts to make a halfpipe though :(

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/s3w7.png

http://youtu.be/8ajOj2ri7-0

Impressive jumping. I wonder how high you can go without wiping out.

B9 has bigger square panels. You probably can get away with reducing parts by making the ramp less smooth. Looking at your video you can also get away with making the ramp narrower, again significantly reducing parts.

Impressive jumping. I wonder how high you can go without wiping out.

B9 has bigger square panels. You probably can get away with reducing parts by making the ramp less smooth. Looking at your video you can also get away with making the ramp narrower, again significantly reducing parts.

The problem seems to be the faster I go the more the suspension rebounds at the top and throws it out from the ramp so it's different ramp angle at the top for different speeds. A giant ramp with 4 or 8m panels seems do-able though.

Brilliant!

I have thought about making a set of basic parts to make a RollKage challenge before. The quality in the last few posts tells me I don't need to, but it might be cool if I do.

Show me your stunts, ramps, halfpipes, loops, wall of death, etc.. I like high speed too....My best so far under normal gravity, 210ms before losing it and flipping out....driver deceased. Im sure I could have gone faster, just ran out of even ground....(I was also using our new top secret wheels - expect some news on that soon)

Again, thanks for taking the time to post your screenshots, video, and brilliant creations.

The RollKage Team

Yeah....the RollKage team have conquered gravity. It might not be to everyones taste, its sci fi its starwars landspeeder, eonar scout bikes tech....its an anti grav train through float city, next stop hoversville!

Personally, I can't wait to speed across the plains of duna

That doesn't sound to hard, I could probably have a basic quarterpipe done in maybe an hour if I don't try too hard, I promise no textures.

Edit:

I'm having some trouble with the collider, unfortunately unity demands that colliders be convex and this is a concave surface so it gets fiddly and the way I tried first seems to not be working

uB2XW7g.jpg

Edit again:

I'm getting somewhere, but also it feels like I'm not. It's colliding properly now, here's the latest test run

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Greys

Did you manage to get the collider working? You should remove your mesh collider use some box colliders positioned on the ramp and bottom.

Edit: basically place the box colliders the way darren is building his ramps!

Edited by zitronen

That doesn't sound to hard, I could probably have a basic quarterpipe done in maybe an hour if I don't try too hard, I promise no textures.

Edit:

I'm having some trouble with the collider, unfortunately unity demands that colliders be convex and this is a concave surface so it gets fiddly and the way I tried first seems to not be working

~snip~

Edit again:

I'm getting somewhere, but also it feels like I'm not. It's colliding properly now, here's the latest test run

~snip~

Do you think it would be a good idea to make sections? You'd only need 7 or 8 vs the 80 parts I'm using and could have size 3 attach nodes to line them up. I think if they had a reasonable (or very large) mass and size 3 nodes they'd hold up quite well to a 1-2T vehicle. There'd be a bit of flexibility as well. (excuse my poor paint skills :blush:)

jnc6.png

Right now I have the collider as a bunch of sections to make the arc of the ramp, and that seems to be causing some weird collider behavior.

When I approach the ramp at high speed it randomly flies into the air before I get there, not a very useful feature in a ramp.

I have a theory and a plan but it's going to take a bunch of extra work from the beginning and I had to sleep; I also have to deal with a bunch of chores now that I've woken up

The couple of times I did manage to go up it, it worked marvalously, though because I was using a drone I lacked torque for orientation in the air, and as was experienced before, the ramp will need a flair tailored to the vehicle to account for suspension whip and whatnot, that will have to be done with plates because it will be different every time.

@Greys

Unity+KSP would be a far more accessible world if they did some work with the way the colliders work, but there are probably a hundred good reasons it works the way it does that I just don't know about yet. Nice try with the ramps, show us your screenshots if you manage to get it all working!!!

While I'm waiting for the landspeeders here's a rocket assisted big air, I had to go at half throttle in the end - I want stronger ramps.

Darren, that makes you the official RollKage big air record holder! Very nice. Tell me more about your craft you used for this. Suggest some rules.

177m high from 64m = 113m!

Edited by angusmcbeth

Darren, that makes you the official RollKage big air record holder! Very nice. Tell me more about your craft you used for this. Suggest some rules.

177m high from 64m = 113m!

I discovered that MechJeb will control the towing vehicle as long as the craft I'm driving is within about 300m of it, so the rocket car goes in a straight line (kill rotation and MechJeb steers it with wing/rudder parts) at whatever throttle is set and I switch focus to the buggy (connected with an un-docked Kas rope) and can steer and/or decouple the KAS without effecting the towing vehicle. I just had to upgrade the steering curve on the extremes a bit to turn enough at high speed.

I'm not sure about Big Air rules, no rockets/jets/wings for vertical lift? I should maybe disqualify myself and say you have to land the jump without parachutes to qualify - I think that'll limit the height though.

I'm entirely confused about if I'm making progress, sometimes it flies up, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it explodes, sometimes it doesn't, but I got up to 167m in mostly one piece, and the ramp even stayed there! I'm beginning to think that KSP/Unity just don't support this existing, and that I should make my own thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.