RollKage

angusmcbeth

Hey guys, I've really been enjoying this mod, good work. I had a question though. I wanted to make a massive wheel for a mobile launchpad. So I changed the rescaleFactor to 2 on a copy of the config file. This does resize the wheel to double the size, but when taking a vehicle to the runway with said wheel it behaves strangely. The wheel seems to float above the surface and the tyre doesn't spin. Is there something else I'm missing in the cfg file that I should be changing also? This was with the Kerchelin Jumbo.

I'm not 100% sure how wheels react to rescaling, but I'm pretty sure the actual radius of the wheel collier doesn't change. So even though you scaled the wheel geometry and the "fake" collider, the real wheel collider is still the same size, so is now no longer touching the ground. I can PM you a working version later today.

I'm not 100% sure how wheels react to rescaling, but I'm pretty sure the actual radius of the wheel collier doesn't change. So even though you scaled the wheel geometry and the "fake" collider, the real wheel collider is still the same size, so is now no longer touching the ground. I can PM you a working version later today.

It's kinda hit-and-miss but it does sometimes scale with it. Before you released the 0.5m Kerchelins I made gokart tires by rescaling the RoveMax M1s via part.cfg and everything scaled properly...for the most part. Spring rates didn't, but that was it. However I could never get the big tank-steer wheels to scale properly.

For the record I have not yet tried resizing any of the Kerchelins. I might shrink the big sand tires down though, partially as an experiment and partially because I like building really tiny rovers and feel they're a bit oversized for my needs.

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

It's kinda hit-and-miss but it does sometimes scale with it. Before you released the 0.5m Kerchelins I made gokart tires by rescaling the RoveMax M1s via part.cfg and everything scaled properly...for the most part. Spring rates didn't, but that was it. However I could never get the big tank-steer wheels to scale properly.

For the record I have not yet tried resizing any of the Kerchelins. I might shrink the big sand tires down though, partially as an experiment and partially because I like building really tiny rovers and feel they're a bit oversized for my needs.

The Kerchelin Extremes look good scaled down....I think we should add a more 'spacey' type wheel in a more sane size, for the more serious player. I like the design of that military wheel with the hexagonal matrix instead of air.

IspBUR0.png

Yeah pretty top secret :) must have had some of your boys peek through the windows at the lab..

Yeah no. Our independently developed xeno based adjustable power hover systems are far superior for over-land transport than the Wayland system, which looks to be based on old RCS tech from the videos you posted. Our system is unmatched in terms of hover stability and cool ground effect.

The Kerchelin Extremes look good scaled down....I think we should add a more 'spacey' type wheel in a more sane size, for the more serious player. I like the design of that military wheel with the hexagonal matrix instead of air.

Ooooohh. Those are about the size I was gonna go for, too, and they look perfect like that. In scale with the cage and the kerbals.

I do have an idea of something that may work (this is working off very old memories of when I actually did use Unity so bear with me if its very wrong)

Use 8 linear raycasts to detect terrain within a certain distance (say, 0.25m from the wheel surface), if terrain is detected, select the raycast with the closest terrain collision and line up the wheelcollider with that raycast.

In my head this would be a viable solution, but as I said it was a long time since I did anything in Unity like this.

Interesting idea. A few problems with it, though. The issue with moving wheel colliders or multiple wheel colliders to control behavior is that you end up with suspension issues. If you don't plan to have suspension, or instead use hinges to control it and depend on physics external to the wheelcollider module, at this point it might be a dependable solution. I'm not sure if parttools can actually export hinges yet though. It doesn't pull out everything you can do in Unity.

Finally managed to land a Kerbukohd-RK series rover on Moho.

0WZTpT5.jpg

The hardest place I've landed something thus far, I hear Tylo is the worst, sounds like a project for after 0.21

Edited by NoMrBond

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of, has anybody figured out how to make custom command seats yet? I assume it's just a matter of putting a transform somewhere but I haven't tried. Also shouldn't it be relatively easy to include the command seat into the rollkage via MODEL{}ing?

I might do that later for ****s.

It looks like it should be pretty easy. I just had a look at the seat in blender and the config file, and sure enough, there's a "seatPivot" transform (as named by the "seatPivotName" attribute in the config file)..

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.