RollKage

angusmcbeth

Thanks, I also have a second parking lot, but it's off the coast and 700 meters under water.........some experiments just don't work.

There is also one RTG power Rollkage running wild up North after it's unmanned command pod got knock off and destroyed, the vehicle just kept going and going........

Looks great!

Which ones are those big monster truck like wheels in the middle back?

They are part of Devo's Rover pack:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-20-freelancer-rover-body-mk1-wayland-corp/

These new wheels are the best!

3IMXoYX.jpg

Jet Rover~

With the new V-Twin RTG, it looks great and I love the effect, but as appropriate as the circle ridges along the heads are, the way KSP handles fine grain textures makes them not look very good at any range

Up Close http://i.imgur.com/ee969Fu.jpg

A bit farther away http://i.imgur.com/LHgJvRM.jpg

And then you can go back to the first picture for even further.

It's KSP's fault but I really do think it detracts from what is otherwise a great part.

Glad you are liking the new Kerchelin Technology wheels! Regarding the rtg part..I really liked the model ingame, but having said that, none of the RollKage crew have really had a chance to play much. Our main 3D artist, Electronicfox, makes low poly 3D models for industry, so you can be assured that it will not have an abnormal impact on your PC performance. I am sure you understand this as you mention that it is a fine texture that produces these ridges, and not the mesh.

We will look at this Greys as we have some time to play for a while now. We might even offer an alternative as we are looking at different ways to use an engine style part.

Thanks for the feedback Greys!

The texture funkiness is indeed a problem in the game engine,increasing the AA setting may help this a little, but I understand this option is not good for everyone.

it will be the normal map creating the problem, unity is trying to force light info into too few pixels. I'll sort out a fix for this later today.

--edit---

After some faffing around, the only real fixes are either removing the ridges altogether (I personally love the ridges, theyre sexy...but not klingon-ridges sexy), or increasing the size of the part (which is a bit silly).

Im open to suggestions or votes as to what to do with this part.

Edited by electronicfox

How do you get the engines to go into the rollcage extenders like that? The best I could come up with was putting them on the underside and rotating them, which doesn't really work.

Right now thats the best method to it, but this may be subject to change.

How do you get the engines to go into the rollcage extenders like that? The best I could come up with was putting them on the underside and rotating them, which doesn't really work.
Right now thats the best method to it, but this may be subject to change.

I have run into a problem when mounting the engine this way.

The vehicle tends to bottom out when going over a ramp at high speeds.

This causes the front engine to hit the ramp and be destroyed.

This also tends to destroy the command pod under the RollKage.

I have run into a problem when mounting the engine this way.

The vehicle tends to bottom out when going over a ramp at high speeds.

This causes the front engine to hit the ramp and be destroyed.

This also tends to destroy the command pod under the RollKage.

Mount the wheels lower? :P

I joke, right now the engines are quite weighty (as to keep with the nature of the RTG), and the wheels are meant for fairly light rovers so there is a good chance of bottoming out or pulling wheelies if not properly balanced. But keep in mind that these engines will be changed into a better device, which will be lighter and more fitting to the pack, right now its just a better looking RTG.

I finally got round to do some thrashing and crashing with the new update.

On my worst spill I literally destroyed everything except the cage, the rear and front extenders, the wheels and the seat inside. The cage did exactly what it was supposed to do but I was a bit sad to see the wheels didn't even get scratched. In a next attempt to destroy the wheels ran them into the runway lights at 40+ m/s (double the speed the fastest stock wheels can get up to :confused:) but all it did was send my rover into a wild spin.

I place my engine on the front tip (or back, for rear mounted engines) of the extender, then rotate inwards, you can place it inside the rollkage part and rotate outwards too.. I'll do a screenshot.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by angusmcbeth

@angusmcbeth

Can i ask you to replace .MBM textures to .PNG please?

The wheels are too dark to me :)

I did notice that the wheels were the only parts that had been done that way. I will speak to the RollKage team and get a decision on this. Its all very much WIP

Thanks for the feedback!

even if you don't go with PNG given it's loading issues, there's also TSA which is editable and nearly as native as MBM

Edit: TGA.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35225-Some-lesser-known-bits-of-info-for-addon-developers

I don't use TGA myself because it would make hexcans take up 16 times more space, bringing it to 53MB instead of 3.8MB, but this shouldn't be a problem with a set with fewer unique parts.

Edited by Greys

I added some weak suspenatrons for sprung axles and the most fun I can have with wheels in KSP, just need some rougher ground to play on. Thanks :)

Nice! Love seeing user videos!

I have the textures in uncompressed TAG format now, just need to find a good way to distribute it.

Very nice NoMrBond! Thanks for taking all the time to make your posts, we love to see what people do with these parts. 175ms on the ground...you beat me my 12ms!!, my best so far is 163....we have a very fast wheel planned for an update or maybe even a separate release which I think you will like!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.