First mission to Minmus! (Picture heavy!)

Odo

As the title states, I've just completed my first successful landing on the Kerbin moon, Minmus! Below is the documented journey of Bill and Jeb, as told in Bill's journal. Enjoy :)

Day 4: We've finally landed! With a whole extra tank of fuel as well, it was quite a balancing act to land like this, but it was worth the extra fuel.

I was getting sick of listening to Jeb rant about how he thinks Minmus is made of Mint Icecream. Now I can finally prove him wrong. It's obviously salt!

2rcbdw4.jpg

Day 4: I got the honors of being the first one on Minmus. Jeb got to be the first on the Mun, so its only fair. Planting flag.

Upon further inspection it seems that this planet actually IS made of Mint Icecream. Perhaps Jeb isnt as insane as we all thought he was.

2ro1ikp.jpg

9ruov8.jpg

Day 4: The gravity here is exceptionally low! It's as though theres no gravity at all! I can hear Jeb calling. I'll give him the O.K. to come out now.

mign83.jpg

Day 4: Jeb's come out to join the party!

2m5aujm.jpg

Day 4: Jeb's immediately buried his face into the Mint Icecream. I told him hed get an icecream head ache if he continued to eat like that, but I dont think he cared.

357hq3a.jpg

Day 4: Time to go to bed. We'll sleep through the night, and in the morning we'll get busy on research this moon. I've released that extra fuel tank and am now positioning the lander on its legs, extending solarpanels, and undocking our Rover. Itll all be ready when morning comes. Jeb hasnt come inside yet. Still eating icecream I presume.

o8avlx.jpg

Day 5: Jeb has volunteered to stay behind and keep watch at the lander. For obvious reasons. Im the only one with any serious attitude here. I've gotten in the rover and am heading for a large hill just south of our lander. Will be taking samples of the icecream there and comparing it with the icecream on this flat ground we've landed on.

fvz05s.jpg

Day 5: Note to self: Due to extremely low gravity, the Rover is having issues getting any traction.

1jaykj.jpg

Day 5: Uh oh. Looks like that tumble has given the Rover a flat. Good thing we've got a spare in the trunk.

2naohkz.jpg

Day 5: Taking "samples" of the icecream up on this hill. No wonder Jeb cant keep his mouth off it. It's delicious!

Night is falling. I've parked the Rover back at the landing site, and Jeb and I have retired to the ole' bunks. I think Jeb has hidden some icecream in the lander somewhere. I can smell it.

33f495l.jpg

Day 6: Once again, Jeb has volunteered to stay behind and watch the lander while I go and do research. He has assured me that one of us standing guard is necessary, as their might be icecream monsters on this planet. Im setting off on foot this time, as the Rover proved to be a bad idea in such low gravity. Our standard RCS packs are making it easy for me to cover ground very quickly. Will be on the top of the Mountain in no time.

2q83gy0.jpg

Day 6: I'm on top of the world!

23ktd7c.jpg

Day 6: Extreme base jumping! Hey! I can see Kerbin from here!

3142zig.jpg

Day 6: Bill iz stoopid.

Day 7: I slept well last night. Today is our last day on Minmus. Jeb is getting one last bite of icecream and then we're heading back to Kerbin.

2ludixx.jpg

Day 7: Ground control has sent us a radio transmission saying we should leave the Gas tank behind, as a memorial of sorts. We've also installed a probe body on the Rover so it can be used unmanned once we get back for further exploration. We have Lift off! Good bye Rover!

2ymxe9d.jpg

Day 7: Good bye Minmus!

2vl2wdl.jpg

Day 7: Ahh.. Space sure is beautiful.

2s84t1z.jpg

Day 7: We've successfully preformed the escape burn, and have fallen back into Kerbin's sphere of influence. In 9 days and 13 hours we will be burning to get into Kerbin's atmosphere. This will most likely be my last log until then.

307olew.jpg

qracnl.jpg

Day 9: I'm sure of it. Jeb's hidden some icecream somewhere on board. This morning when I woke up his helmet was smeared with the stuff, laying on the ground. He's passed out on his bunk with icecream on his mouth. I'll find his stash yet!

Day 12: I found Jeb's icecream! He hid it inside the spare space suit hanging near the airlock. I've taken half and hidden it under my pillow. Serves him right for not sharing!

Day 13: Soe thaz wher you hid my icekreem.

Day 14: My icecream is gone! That thieving Jeb must of found it somehow! Curses! He's got a new hiding spot too. Hopefully Ill be able to find it before the journeys end.

Day 16: I never found the icecream again. Perhaps Jeb isnt as stupid as he looks. We're entering the Kerbin atmosphere. Chutes deployed, and burning retrograde!

sczvxk.jpg

Day 16: Touch down! We've landed in what appears to be an ocean. Mission control says they've got a pinpoint on our location, and are sending rescue boats. We've still got quite a bit of fuel, a stark contrast to our Mun mission.

25tb0nb.jpg

Day 16: In the mean time, me and Jeb are going swimming. It's good to be back on Kerbin!

16c9llg.jpg

Day 16: Mission success!

dh8ugy.jpg

Thanks for reading about my next major milestone in Kerbal space program! This mission was extremely fun and a test of my skill :) I couldnt of made it without docking and refueling at my first space station:

Space Station Columbus:

Crew Capacity: 6 Kerbals

Docking Capacity: 4 ships, and 2 space bikes, landers, or probes.

Orbit: 100km by 100km around Kerbin

Liquid Fuel capacity: 1500

2vbvf41.jpg

I'd also like to thank Margaul for his excellent docking tutorial. Without that, my station wouldnt be possible, and neither would this mission :)

If youd like to read about my Mun Mission, the link is hidden somewhere in the text above, see if you can find it!

Happy rocketeering! :D

Very impressive accomplishments and constructions! Amazing job landing that beast on its tailpipe, too.

Question: How did you keep hot lander nozzle from melting into the ice cream surface of Minmus? Is there a cryogenic cooling mod I don't know about? :D

Very impressive accomplishments and constructions! Amazing job landing that beast on its tailpipe, too.

Question: How did you keep hot lander nozzle from melting into the ice cream surface of Minmus? Is there a cryogenic cooling mod I don't know about? :D

Jeb got out and blew on the engine ;)

I love Minmus! So much fun. And the station looks awesome! Great job!

Thanks! I've actually just got a rover on Duna miraculously. An unmanned one thank goodness, because otherwise theyd be stranded (used every drop of fuel)

More interestingly, I got to it using the exact same rocket I used to get to Minmus and Mun. Perhaps its more advanced then I had thought.

Ill probably have a thread about the Rover tomorrow. Im trying to find the face on Duna :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.