MechJeb fail...

hansman1982

Two things:

1. Loaded KSP up today and had a rocket headed for Moho. Booted up the rocket to have a black screen and the ALT read 666666. Turns out, something happened and the probe left the universe.

2. MechJeb messed up my Duna landing (I'm counting it for my Kerbal ribbon, though):

screenshot6.png

GAAA REAGAN SMASH MECHJEB!!!!

It's probably a highly realistic simulation of what NASA presently uses...that and I don't have the time to play the game to trial and error learn how to land.

Actually, I won't put it on my ribbons because it didn't properly touch down.

Also, without MechJeb the game would be highly unplayable for me due to lag.

Is it more satisfying to hand land, sure (Minimus!), but if my computer can't look at land while launching and/or landing without terrible lag, I'd never land.

You don't have time to learn how to do it but you have time to watch the game play itself for you? It's duna. Deploy drogue chutes. Then deploy other chutes. Fire rocket near ground if needed. Pretty easy.

If lots of parts make you lag then that sounds like a good time to see what the smallest number of parts you can use to get somewhere is. I'm not sure how Mechjeb is making it so your game doesn't lag, so I won't even touch on that.

Have you turned terrain detail to the lowest you can? Disabled terrain scatters? Done the ocean lagfix?

Edited by Clamps

Also, without MechJeb the game would be highly unplayable for me due to lag.

Is it more satisfying to hand land, sure (Minimus!), but if my computer can't look at land while launching and/or landing without terrible lag, I'd never land.

I'm not sure what sort of lag you have, but my laptop here lags with just a Kerbal standing still on Kerbin. I just managed to land on Pol last night with nothing but stock, probably heading home tonight. I did a Duna return the other day. This laptop is meant for work, is fairly decent, but is not by any means a game machine. I'm glad it runs KSP well enough that I can do stuff - it simple hates Minecraft and that is unplayable, so I don't play it. If KSP were lagging as bad as what you imply, I'd simply not play it (or get a better computer).

With MechJeb it allows me to keep it in map view while it lands. Same with launches. I just like it figured I flew to the Mun and back not even using maneuver nodes (helluva lucky Mun shot back when I first got the game and played 3-4 hours a day) I can live with using MechJeb. If it makes the experience more enjoyable for me (roughly equal) then hooray me.

I think everyone is free to play however they want. I personally use MechJeb a lot because I don't get much fun from the piloting part of the game. You're gonna tell me that's the goal of the game, well I'll tell you it isn't for me. I'm getting my fun from building things, seeing them fly, visiting other planets, etc. I'm an explorer, that's how I like to play. And don't you dare tell me I'm having less fun than any of you.

I think everyone is free to play however they want. I personally use MechJeb a lot because I don't get much fun from the piloting part of the game. You're gonna tell me that's the goal of the game, well I'll tell you it isn't for me. I'm getting my fun from building things, seeing them fly, visiting other planets, etc. I'm an explorer, that's how I like to play. And don't you dare tell me I'm having less fun than any of you.

Well said Stupid_Chris. I use MechJeb (1.9.8) and love the game wayyyyyy tooooooo much. Everthing I've done with Mechjeb (so far) I've also done the hands-on-the-controls way at least once. However, to manually go through slow plodding launches (to orbit) as many as 10-15 times a day just wouldn't be any fun for me. As a matter of fact it would be completely boring and ruin the game. I too, like Stupid_Chris, am an explorer extraordinaire and master builder of all things rockety. Nothing shall slow down my conquest of the Kerbalverse ... such as boring, repetitive, carpal tunnel syndrome producing, been there done that a zillion times before manual tasks. Ask any commercial pilot if they would like to have their autopilot removed so they can start having more "fun" flying every day. :0.0:

So, rock on hansman1982, be proud of them there badges and ribbons and go forth and conquer the Kerbal cosmos and blaze star-trails for the rest of us. Also, to all of you hands-on only Kerbalnauts, many kudos for your extraordinary digital (as in fingers) accomplishments. Most importantly be one with your Kerbal brothers and sisters, be them "auto" or "manual". - PEACE

Hmmmm, I wonder what Captain Kirk would say about this continual "auto" vs "manual" conflict, hmmmm ...

Answer >>> http://bogscifi.forumotions.net/t260-let-that-be-your-last-battlefield-episode-70

Edited by Ming

Well said. While liftoff, achieving orbit, orbital maneuvers and landing have grown boring, I'm not sure they'd be much different without MechJeb. Sure I could take a week and perfect my landing technique for each planet and moon I'd much rather experiment with the construction of the rocket, trying each time to get one that is closer to something that would be usable in real life.

I find the people who strap 30 rockets together for launch to be quite unrealistic, but to each their own.

(I also get the feeling this is a HOT debate topic that will never go away)

MechJeb has fail many of my landing, keep a close eye on it when closing with the ground, I tend to turn it off for the last hundred meters and finish the landing manually. Especially on uneven landing zone!

I hope SQUAD makes Mechjeb unusable in career mode.

There again, you're literally forcing the way you play on everyone else. It's literally none of your business how I want to play my career mode. There's no competition, so it's not unfair for anyone. If I want to have MechJeb in my career mode, I'll have it, even if that means I'm not piloting my own rockets. The only person this affects is myself and no one else.

If you don't want it, feel free to not download it, but leave those who use it alone. That's all.

Even then, if it were a competition it's a readily accessible mod that anyone can download.

MechJeb makes the game more enjoyable for me and allows for much less painful launches from Kerbin.

What Mercy said is no different than me hoping they make the flight physics so incredibly difficult non-MechJeb users have no choice but to use it for everything.

Please do not get caught in an argument over automate vs manual. KSP is a singleplayer game, honestly nobody anything does in a singleplayer game should affect you in any negative fashion.

If you can accomplish awesome feats, more power to you. I don't think one user using MJ over manual devalues anything another player does. Personally I really enjoy using MJ. I don't have a great mind for math or planning rendezvous or calculating TWR or things of that nature. If I didn't have it I'd probably get frustrated and not enjoy it as much.

KSP is just a game.

Nobody forces anyone else to use MJ in their own singleplayer environment.

There again, you're literally forcing the way you play on everyone else. It's literally none of your business how I want to play my career mode. There's no competition, so it's not unfair for anyone. If I want to have MechJeb in my career mode, I'll have it, even if that means I'm not piloting my own rockets. The only person this affects is myself and no one else.

If you don't want it, feel free to not download it, but leave those who use it alone. That's all.

Well, if SQUAD ever implement a goals system (E.G - Land on different bodies, complete missions and such to gain money and get new tech.), it is rather unfair on those that actually want to play the game. How is someone getting extra features before all others because they used a bot to do all their work for them fair? At all?

It will leave many Manpatrick's behind in the space race, everyone should be on equal footing.

Career mode should be straight up stock only if you ask me, provided they implement resources and such.

snip--

Stay civil. There is absolutely no need to continue this argument that gets restarted with exactly the same material every single time anyone posts anything dealing with mechjeb.

If you cannot refrain from arguing a cyclical rehash I will be forced to close this thread. Please don't make me do that.

Edited by Rich

If you cannot refrain from arguing a cyclical rehash I will be forced to close this thread. Please don't make me do that.

May as well do it, i dont think a thread about how an autopilot crashed a probe is worth having it open

i mean, since "dont use mechjeb and try to land it yourself" is now "arguing a cyclical rehash", what do you want us to do?

May as well do it, i dont think a thread about how an autopilot crashed a probe is worth having it open

i mean, since "dont use mechjeb and try to land it yourself" is now "arguing a cyclical rehash", what do you want us to do?

What people can do is stop looking down your nose at people that use MechJeb. No one wants to hear it. People are free to play the game as they see fit, what they are not free to do is make other people feel inadequate or otherwise unwelcome for the way they choose to play the game. If you do not like MechJeb, please stay out of threads where it's being discussed, it's that simple.

Discussion is fine, but when a thread devolves into players thumbing their nose at others, well, the thread is done turned sour like milk and needs to be poured down the drain.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager