Industrial Flames & Explosions, Inc. - Version 1.4.2 Now Available!

JordanCox2

What rocket do you guys use most frequently?  

1,385 members have voted

1. 1. What rocket do you guys use most frequently?

This poll is closed to new votes

It seems that the Intrepid V has some problems leaning to the left after lift off.

Gonna try a completely clean install at some point, but multiple tests has both the Intrepid V 400 and 500 with heavy lean.

It seems that the Intrepid V has some problems leaning to the left after lift off.

Gonna try a completely clean install at some point, but multiple tests has both the Intrepid V 400 and 500 with heavy lean.

It\'s a known problem. I noticed it while I was testing the Intrepid V, but I didn\'t find the lean substantial enough to delay the release, since it\'s easily correctable. However, I\'m working to find a solution for version 1.4.

In other news, I started working on my Münar Lander today, since I\'m still waiting to receive more documents for Aurora. If you haven\'t been following my previous posts about the lander, it\'s being modeled after Altair. It\'s also going to be big enough to fit snugly inside the SLS\'s payload fairing. From leg to leg, it will be around 3.25m in diameter. Once things start to progress a little bit more, I\'ll post a few WIP pics.

Alright, everyone! I was able to get a lot of work done tonight, so here\'s a WIP picture of Altair\'s frame. I still have a lot to do, but getting the frame finished is a HUGE step in the right direction! Obviously, it hasn\'t been textured, but the model is finished. Enjoy!

By the way, the diameter of the frame alone is 1.8 meters... just in case you\'re curious.

fTIIk.jpg

Jordan, I have a question for you. Have you got any plans for how you\'re going to implement Aurora?

I\'m thinking of doing a space plane for my pack in the future, but experiments with the existing wings hasn\'t given me a lot of confidence. I\'ve got no idea how to make a plane stable, let alone useful.

Sounds about right, it was about as big as the Ares Vs payload area;

Sigh, I miss Constellation.

Yeah, 3.25m is obviously my limit due to the SLS\'s payload fairing size. Since we don\'t have animations yet, I can\'t design the legs to be folded in during liftoff then extend afterwards, so I had to take the extra leg length into consideration as well.

Jordan, I have a question for you. Have you got any plans for how you\'re going to implement Aurora?

I\'m thinking of doing a space plane for my pack in the future, but experiments with the existing wings hasn\'t given me a lot of confidence. I\'ve got no idea how to make a plane stable, let alone useful.

Honestly, I don\'t. Aurora is my long-term project. I want it done right, so I\'m definitely going to take my time on it. I\'m actually waiting to see how Deusoverkill configures the Kliper he\'s been working on. However, I know for a fact that Aurora will be composed of several parts (command pod, RCS, ASAS, etc.), and once assembled, it will look like a spaceplane. That\'s really the only concrete plan I have at the moment...

Honestly, I don\'t. Aurora is my long-term project. I want it done right, so I\'m definitely going to take my time on it. I\'m actually waiting to see how Deusoverkill configures the Kliper he\'s been working on. However, I know for a fact that Aurora will be composed of several parts (command pod, RCS, ASAS, etc.), and once assembled, it will look like a spaceplane. That\'s really the only concrete plan I have at the moment...

Cool. Sounds pretty similar to my plan. :)

Can\'t wait for the munar lander. Ive landed on the Mun dozens of times using the Intrepid II plus lander legs. Will it be a dual stage lander like Altair and the Lunar Lander or will the whole thing be coming back to kerbin?

Guest Flixxbeatz

Sounds about right, it was about as big as the Ares Vs payload area;

Sigh, I miss Constellation.

That was just... epic. :D

I made my own intrepid 2 using a lot of mods. It\'s really easy to orbit with it.

1st stage:

- 6 SRB\'s (from the challenger pack) burn the 90 secs to get the ship out of the lower atmosphere.

2nd stage:

-The big Intrepid SLS engine and fuel tank get it out of the upper atmosphere.

3rd stage:

-Orbiting module uses its engines to achieve a stable orbit.

Guest Flixxbeatz

I made my own intrepid 2 using a lot of mods. It\'s really easy to orbit with it.

1st stage:

- 6 SRB\'s (from the challenger pack) burn the 90 secs to get the ship out of the lower atmosphere.

2nd stage:

-The big Intrepid SLS engine and fuel tank get it out of the upper atmosphere.

3rd stage:

-Orbiting module uses its engines to achieve a stable orbit.

Here\'s my

Looks odd, but flies well :D

I might redo it, this time using 1.75m parts. :)

Can\'t wait for the munar lander. Ive landed on the Mun dozens of times using the Intrepid II plus lander legs. Will it be a dual stage lander like Altair and the Lunar Lander or will the whole thing be coming back to kerbin?

It will have both descent and ascent modules. The ascent module will be the SLS\'s new custom command pod until we can rendezvous and dock with other vehicles.

I\'ll just say this--make sure that your Mun ascent stage is rigged for 'fire in the hole' staging, because it\'ll not only help with using it for an abort system, but it should help prevent damage from the descent stage exploding when you fire the ascent engine...

the new pod

The entire lander will be devoted to the SLS. As you can see in the small image below, the Ascent Module is going to be the new 'Command Pod.' The Intrepid II CSM isn\'t getting its true Orion makeover until we can rendezvous and dock with other vehicles.

altairminimum200803.JPG

The entire lander will be devoted to the SLS. As you can see in the small image below, the Ascent Module is going to be the new 'Command Pod.' The Intrepid II CSM isn\'t getting its true Orion makeover until we can rendezvous and dock with other vehicles.

altairminimum200803.JPG

fair enough

This pack. Is. Immense. I can hardly criticise it.

In the space of about three hours I launched my first Intrepid II which made it to the moon, using the second stage all the way up to the Munar Deorbit Burn. Then I took off again and did two or three separate transfer orbits to get a Munar Limbo going, then returned to Kerbin.

Shortly after I managed to convince Bob to get back into the Orion capsule to launch atop the SLS, carrying below their seats a strange combination of plants in boxes and sensor packages with a metallic bit with a dish stuck to it on the bottom. Two transfers later, they had made it to 1 million metres, the designated HKO. Bill completed an EVA to open up and check all the sensor boxes and plant pots and then they jettisoned the satellite, performing a few docking-test maneuvers to test the Orion\'s RCS capabilities. They then de-orbited and experienced over 15 Gees in as many seconds. Bob was said to have \'thrown his own poop at the recovery team\' when he was removed from the capsule, which landed in a small lake.

Oops, went a bit overboard there. ;D I\'ll get a picture of my mission payload another day.

My only grievance with this pack was the lack of power on the Intrepid V 500 Series and the strange yaw to the left on the first stage of the SLS and V.

This pack. Is. Immense. I can hardly criticise it.

In the space of about three hours I launched my first Intrepid II which made it to the moon, using the second stage all the way up to the Munar Deorbit Burn. Then I took off again and did two or three separate transfer orbits to get a Munar Limbo going, then returned to Kerbin.

Shortly after I managed to convince Bob to get back into the Orion capsule to launch atop the SLS, carrying below their seats a strange combination of plants in boxes and sensor packages with a metallic bit with a dish stuck to it on the bottom. Two transfers later, they had made it to 1 million metres, the designated HKO. Bill completed an EVA to open up and check all the sensor boxes and plant pots and then they jettisoned the satellite, performing a few docking-test maneuvers to test the Orion\'s RCS capabilities. They then de-orbited and experienced over 15 Gees in as many seconds. Bob was said to have \'thrown his own poop at the recovery team\' when he was removed from the capsule, which landed in a small lake.

Oops, went a bit overboard there. ;D I\'ll get a picture of my mission payload another day.

My only grievance with this pack was the lack of power on the Intrepid V 500 Series and the strange yaw to the left on the first stage of the SLS and V.

Yeah, I\'m working on finding a solution to the lean problems, but I\'m pretty satisfied with the Intrepid V\'s power. It\'s only supposed to be used to deploy satellites and probes, so I\'ll probably keep it the way it is until I build Aurora. Don\'t forget, you can always add more SRB\'s to give the Intrepid V more power.

haha! The SLS is massively, monumenally overkill. It\'s less for \'getting to the Mun\' than it is \'achieving solar escape velocity, then braking, landing on the mun, achieving a solar flyby, then returning to kerbin.\'

I exaggerate, but only slightly.

This whole pack is so laughably overpowred. Whcih doesn\'t make it any less awesome, m ind you, it\'s just that we really need other planets to push their capabilities.