Industrial Flames & Explosions, Inc. - Version 1.4.2 Now Available!

JordanCox2

What rocket do you guys use most frequently?  

1,385 members have voted

1. 1. What rocket do you guys use most frequently?

This poll is closed to new votes

I was just about to remind you about that. Is it still being worked on or did a problem come up?

Nope, I\'m still working on it. Slowly but surely! I haven\'t begun modeling just yet, since I\'m still gathering resources.

Last I recall an e-mail was sent to request for reference images before the modeling process began.

I haven\'t heard anything from the email I sent to the Sierra Nevada Corporation, so I\'ll try a few more things over the next several weeks. However, I wouldn\'t expect any major news until mid to late January, since I\'m going to be taking it easy through the holidays... After working on several major projects in a row, I don\'t want to get burnt out, ya know? ;)

A word of warning, based on my experiences: launching an aerodynamic vehicle on top of a rocket in KSP is REALLY REALLY HARD

So much this

It\'s not that hard without RCS though.

Say, you should split the body in two, and make half an RCS tank.

So much this

It\'s not that hard without RCS though.

Say, you should split the body in two, and make half an RCS tank.

It looks so stupid with RCS jets firing constantly on ascent though... I\'d rather have it be naturally stable, by whatever means.

Then atmospheric flight would be absolutely horrific. It needs to glide back into a regular reentry!

The wings would have drag but the hull parts wouldn\'t. At launch they\'d act like forward fins for the rocket, then during reentry they\'d be wings for the orbiter

dude I just said that ^^^^

What i suggest is just doing it Kerbal style. Build it, test it, watch it explode, build it again to try and not explode, repeat. my two most popular videos feature designs which took HOURS and HOURS of explosions and dead kerbals to get to work. I didn\'t mind watching huge explosions but sometimes to achieve you just gotta do

AAR:

So I decided to take a trip to the Mun in the Altair, atop the SLS.

Aside from wishing for ASAS and gimballing (but fully recognizing that currently the game would happily shake any of these rockets apart with them) the launch went flawlessly. As usual for most packs, I felt little need to shepherd my fuel, so went for a direct burn TMI. I launched, tilted downrange gradually until I was pointed directly at the Mun shortly after SRB separation, and just kept on the throttle through the first stage and part of the second. This put me on a good course to intercept the Mun... actually, I intercepted a little *too* well, and had to fire a correcting burn on entering munar SOI to aoid becoming another fantastically large crater on its surface. (Obviously, we know why the Mun has such evenly-circular gigantic mares. Previous launches. :P)

Casually inserted into Munar orbit with something like a quarter of the second-stage tank left. Certainly the rebalancing has been a vast improvement as normally I\'d have had an almost full second stage tank.

Not being one to waste fuel, I decided to use the leftovers for my deorbiting burn. Once done with that, I waited patiently for my rapidly approaching munar landing. The Altair, despite being fairly touchy on the helm, performed admirably, but I had burned barely a tenth of the onboard fuel of the lander stage when I\'d successfully set her down, and had to keep the throttle exceedingly low to avoid flying off back into the void.

Despite my aversion to wasting fuel, I decided to leave the lander stage where it was and use the ascent stage alone to navigate back to Kerbin.

The ascent stage was VERY jumpy on the helm, even with the precision mode enabled. Some careful maneuvering got me n the right course, though, and shortly I was headed back home... with two-thirds of the ascent-stage fuel remaining. Enough that I managed a powered landing... almost... when i got it home. The wildly exaggerated maneuvers were what did me in, costing me the ascent engine and fuel tank in a crash, but returning the kerbonauts safely to the merciful soil of their home continent.

Analysis: I like the rebalance. it works well, despite some lingering control problems. The lander model, as I\'ve stated earlier, is amazing; though I\'m hoping for an official rebalance for it as well... I\'m not trying to nag on this, just providing feedback. When I get back from vacationing with my girlfriend\'s family, I\'ll probably try my hand at my own rebalance. The first thing I plan on trying for that is simply cutting the thrust values of both lander and ascent phases in half, while leaving their consumption rates untouched, then tinkering from there. I\'ll also be planning on ONLY using the lander stage to perform my de-orbit and landing, rather than my typical \'waste-not\' philosophy re. fuel.

Hey guys! I hope you all had a great Christmas!

As we\'re moving into 2012, I want to show all of you my to-do list for the new year. The items on the list aren\'t in any specific order, and I\'ll work on each project when I feel it\'s the right time.

• [li]Altair Rebalance
    Taking the info and data I\'ve obtained since its release, I\'ll be able to better fine-tune Altair.[/li]
    [li]Orion CSM Redesign
    This is a project I\'ve had my sights on for a while. It will be a complete redesign of the Orion CSM, including a new, custom command pod.[/li]
    [li]Altair Parachute/Docking System (planned)
    I\'ll build and release a parachute that 'goes with' Altair and looks like a docking system. Then, once we\'re able to dock, I\'ll swap it out for an official docking system.[/li]
    [li]Intrepid IV Rocket
    This rocket will be inspired by the Delta IV Rocket. When finished, the entire family will be available (Medium, Medium+, Heavy)[/li]
    [li]Aurora Spaceplane (Dream Chaser)
    This project is currently a work in progress. At the moment, I\'m gathering resources and data... Modeling will commence sometime in 2012.[/li]
    [li]Intrepid V Heavy
    The heavy variant of the Intrepid V was supposed to be released in version 1.3 with the rest of the rocket. However, due to issues during testing, I didn\'t want it to delay the release, so I put it on hold for a little bit.[/li]

I may or may not have forgotten a few things, but as new projects come to mind, I\'ll add them to the list. Eventually, this list will be moved to the main post between the Changelog and my personal note... Nevertheless,

Can\'t wait. Will the orion update make it a multi part unit for basic manuevering, etc like the cyclone?

The CSM maneuverability will function the same as it does now. The command pod won\'t have any maneuvering abilities on its own, but the service module will.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

It\'s incredible to me how heated the political? debates regarding spaceflight get :x

NovaSilisko 1 day ago

Sucks this will take years to finish to go to the? mun.

venku1222 1 day ago

@venku1222

Dammit NASA, hurry up! I want to meet? the Kerbals!

BloGojira 1 day ago