Industrial Flames & Explosions, Inc. - Version 1.4.2 Now Available!

JordanCox2

What rocket do you guys use most frequently?  

1,385 members have voted

1. 1. What rocket do you guys use most frequently?

This poll is closed to new votes

I tested a few new thrust and burn time configurations for the 5 Segment Solid Rocket Booster this morning, and I\'m pretty satisfied with the new configuration. I kept the burn time at 100 seconds, but weakened the thrust by 33%. As a result, it\'s not as pointlessly easy to launch your rocket into orbit anymore, however it still maintains a relatively high ease of use.

Just so all of you are aware, here is my to-do list for version 1.1:

[list type=decimal]

[li]Adjust the thrust and burn time configuration for 5 Segment SRB[/li]

[li]Fix a few minor Part.cfg errors that I managed to overlook[/li]

[li]Begin part optimization process by reducing the texture sizes for basic textures[/li]

[li]Build a 2.50m to 1.25m interstage for the SLS (Ares IV style, as requested)[/li]

Also, the Orion Command/Service Module isn\'t my official lander. It\'s a Command/Service Module, so I\'m not going to build an Advanced S.A.S. for it. I just threw a pair of lander legs on it, because I wasn\'t patient enough at the time to build an actual lander... and it surprisingly worked :P After the Atlas V, my plan is to build an official Munar Lander that\'s modeled after Altair, so you can look forward to that as well.

Also, the Orion Command/Service Module isn\'t my official lander. It\'s a Command/Service Module, so I\'m not going to build an Advanced S.A.S. for it. I just threw a pair of lander legs on it, because I wasn\'t patient enough at the time to build an actual lander... and it surprisingly worked :P After the Atlas V, my plan is to build an official Munar Lander that\'s modeled after Altair, so you can look forward to that as well.

A Münar lander like this?

6384410891_3d9e03ac19_b.jpg

2007-12-18 Altair Concept (3) di Lorenzo Giacobbo, su Flickr

Where you have SAS now, you should make it ASAS - the two don\'t mix too well currently anyway.

As a stopgap until you have everything done.

I\'m really having a tough time working with the Advanced S.A.S. Modules... Whenever I make them for my rockets (even now, when I tried converting all of them from SASModule to AdvSASModule), the control gauge goes crazy, and I have zero control over my rocket. It just goes straight up. Pitch, roll and yaw controls are useless >:( If I\'m not understanding how to use these things correctly, please let me know, so I can make this better for everyone.

No they\'re just sort of broken on big rockets right now, unless you turn down the 'gain' on their numbers to like '.001' or so - but that makes them useless for landers and such, and the way they work it doesnt work to have 2 differently tuned modules on the ship either.

Right now ASAS is best used for the upper stages for attitude control, like the Intrepid\'s lander - it really likes to roll around a bit when you\'re retroburning, even with precision controls - ASAS tightens that up.

I fly without ASAS on for big rockets, its easier to manage them typically.

I\'m really having a tough time working with the Advanced S.A.S. Modules... Whenever I make them for my rockets (even now, when I tried converting all of them from SASModule to AdvSASModule), the control gauge goes crazy, and I have zero control over my rocket. It just goes straight up. Pitch, roll and yaw controls are useless >:( If I\'m not understanding how to use these things correctly, please let me know, so I can make this better for everyone.

That\'s...the point. It controls your rocket for you.

No they\'re just sort of broken on big rockets right now, unless you turn down the 'gain' on their numbers to like '.001' or so - but that makes them useless for landers and such, and the way they work it doesnt work to have 2 differently tuned modules on the ship either.

Right now ASAS is best used for the upper stages for attitude control, like the Intrepid\'s lander - it really likes to roll around a bit when you\'re retroburning, even with precision controls - ASAS tightens that up.

I fly without ASAS on for big rockets, its easier to manage them typically.

Is there a way to disable the ASAS on the lander until we need it on the Mun? So, it doesn\'t interfere with any of the regular SAS\'s during liftoff, etc? Just out of curiosity (and laziness), I tested the Ultraflex Solar Array as an ASAS, but it still threw the entire rocket off...

Is there a way to disable the ASAS on the lander until we need it on the Mun? So, it doesn\'t interfere with any of the regular SAS\'s during liftoff, etc? Just out of curiosity (and laziness), I tested the Ultraflex Solar Array as an ASAS, but it still threw the entire rocket off...

The simplest way is to turn off the RCS. When I did my recent moon shot I only turned the ASAS on for take off and munar Landing. By switching off the RCS in between , the SAS module had full play.

Well, if don\'t put gimbals or wings on the lower stages, and leave RCS off until you need it, it could work.

You\'ll also want to stage away the reg. SAS module before the Mun so the reverse doesn\'t happen.

The simplest way is to turn off the RCS. When I did my recent moon shot I only turned the ASAS on for take off and munar Landing. By switching off the RCS in between , the SAS module had full play.

But that\'s the thing... I don\'t use the RCS until I land on the Mun. It stays off during ascent, transmunar injection, etc. However, I do use regular SAS for spin control and to dampen the movement of the ship. It stays on the entire time... It\'s just that whenever SAS is activated, ASAS is also activated, and it totally screws over my entire ship.

Figured out my problem: The new parts take about a minute each to load. Why does that happen with some parts, I never understood it.

I know. Some of my parts take terribly too long to load. I\'m constantly working to improve them as I go.

I just released version 1.1. Changes are noted in the changelog. I\'ll also keep working on the Advanced S.A.S. issue. Hopefully, I\'ll be able to figure something out for a future update.

I use just ASAS and not SAS. I made a second set of parts from the original ones in the pack and removed the SAS properties. I slapped a single ASAS on the rocket and I was good to go. I feel like I\'m probably one of the few people that like ASAS and not SAS and use it exclusively.

And to be a pain in the butt, could you change the textures on the Orion CSM Fuel/RCS Tank? They look exactly the same. I just threw some different colored lines for my use, dunno if anyone else gets them mixed up.

Last but not least, I friggin\' love this pack!

Hey guys,

Throughout the day today, I\'ve been working to better optimize my parts for the game. The first part (the textures) have already been optimized and released in the 1.1 update. Right now, I\'m working on the second half of optimization (the polygon count). I\'m not sure exactly when I\'ll be releasing the next update, since I need to re-export each part and Thanksgiving is coming up, but I\'m hoping it will be soon.

Until then, I can report some very exciting news! As of Version 1.1, the 5 Segment SRB has a load time of 52.3 seconds. WAY too long, and I\'m sorry for that... :-[ However, after significantly dropping the polygon count (while keeping the part looking nice), the new load times are reporting around 14.8 seconds! That\'s a 72 percent improvement! Reducing the polygon count will dramatically improve gameplay (on my part), so I\'m working extra hard to finish this as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience!

And to be a pain in the butt, could you change the textures on the Orion CSM Fuel/RCS Tank? They look exactly the same. I just threw some different colored lines for my use, dunno if anyone else gets them mixed up.

Heh, My first 3 successful moon intercepts were spoilt in the final stages by realizing I\'d left the lander fuel at home and brought along an extra helping of RCS fuel :D

Hey everyone! I just released Version 1.2. I worked through the night to get my parts fully optimized for all of you, since you guys definitely need them! I can happily report that reducing the polygon count drastically decreased the load time, and improved game performance as well! With only the stock parts and my parts installed, KSP would take around 3 minutes and 28 seconds to load... With several mods installed, that time could easily be doubled or tripled! I am terribly sorry for not considering that to begin with. :-[ However, after part optimization and polygon count reduction, KSP only takes around 1 minute and 32 seconds to load the same parts! That is a load time improvement of 56%! 8)

I\'ve also retextured the Orion CSM RCS Fuel Tank to avoid confusion with the Orion CSM Fuel Tank, so people like i0nicx and kizza42 won\'t reach the Mun only to discover they brought an extra RCS Fuel Tank ;)

These adjustments were definitely necessary before moving on to my next project. If you experience any other issues, please let me know.

I\'ve also retextured the Orion CSM RCS Fuel Tank to avoid confusion with the Orion CSM Fuel Tank, so people like i0nicx and kizza42 won\'t reach the Mun only to discover they brought an extra RCS Fuel Tank ;)

Thanks for the hard work sir. KSP now loads in half the time w00t!

Here\'s my landing from last night(don\'t mind the RCS/Fuel textures):

6fJUz.jpg

Thanks for the hard work sir. KSP now loads in half the time w00t!

Awesome! Thanks for your patience while I sorted everything out ;)

Did you forget to mention the decoupler you added? my god it\'s awesome

Nope. It was released in version 1.1, but I\'m glad you\'re enjoying it! :)

I\'m not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but whenever I try to open the premade .craft files it doesn\'t allow me to. It\'s just like what happens when you try to open a ship using parts from an uninstalled mod.

By the way, I\'m on a Mac using OSX.

I think the upper stage of the crew SLS is too tall, and the decoupler is too short.

Look at the current concept:

ss20111123204108.png

Howson wanted the Ares IV interstage, so he could make the Ares IV. I\'ll eventually make the crew SLS interstage... probably sometime next week.

I\'m not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but whenever I try to open the premade .craft files it doesn\'t allow me to. It\'s just like what happens when you try to open a ship using parts from an uninstalled mod.

By the way, I\'m on a Mac using OSX.

I tested v1.2 on my MacBook before the release, and I didn\'t get any errors... Did you delete all of my previous parts before installing the new ones? The current .craft files are not backwards compatible with the original Intrepid II releases... only versions 1.0 and up of the IFE re-release.