Ever used a E.V.A to push your ship out of danger?

novusuniversitas

On a return trip from the Mun. When all of the sudden my port side engine decides to blow up, And to make matters worse I was on my return burn and fell short. To the point that my ship was going to break free from the Mun and head out to who knows where. Afraid of losing another kerbal after poor Jeb crashed into Minmus, I decided to try a retro grade push with Bill on E.V.A. to see if I could get back into orbit, And low and behold it actually worked. I had to go back into the capsule to refuel over a dozen times but I managed to achieve a highly elliptical orbit by pushing my ship on E.V.A.

Could not be more proud of myself. :D

Anybody ever tried landing on the Mun on E.V.A. from orbit? Because I was going to try that if my push didn't work.

I've never rescued anyone like that. But I did once deorbit some debris once using the same method. I jettisoned the final stage to have it have a periapsis of 21km, so I just got out and pushed it a bit so it would despawn :) Things like that are fairly easily done, although can be time consuming. Much more challenging is rendezvousing with an orbiting ship using EVA. I've done it a few times. Last night, while on Pol, Bill decided to go to orbit without the ship. Then the other 2 (lesser astronauts) flew the ship up to him.

Like that, no, but I have gone EVA to right ships that have tipped before. It obviously only works on relatively light ships, but I have done it once or two. I've also done the same with a flipped rover once. That or I've gone EVA to push a sat/ship in to place near a station and that sort of thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.