+ [Part] [1.6] Davon supply mod v025

PrivateFlip

The intent of the mod is to provide an automated way for the at times repetitive chore of fuel supply missions but to do so in an acceptable, 'realistic' and non game breaking manner. I present to you the Davon Station Logistics Hub: the outsourcing solution for your resupply needs in the Kerbin locale. After transportation and proper activation of the Station Logistics Hub, it allows fuel resupply missions to the station to be undertaken by Davon industries on your request as part of Davon logistic services. Read manual before use. Limited to Kerbin and its moons. Delivery time may vary upon location. Terms of service apply.

Download on Kerbal CurseForge

Download on Space Dock

Modular Manager patch by @shoe7ess adding resource support for several popular mods.

The model is made by KhaosCorp

See this spotlight by by Kyle Kidd:

The Davon Medium Supply Station, produced by Davon Tech Ltd, is an integral part of Davon logistic services. After transportation and activation of the station, to be executed by KSP as described in contract 14-4626, Davon will start to offer its very affordable logistic services(tm) as set forth in aforementioned contract in regard to the so deployed and activated station. Upon a suitable service request by KSP, Davon will employ automated spacecraft to resupply the asset and make available any such resources to KSP operations on location. Read manual before use. Limited to Kerbin and its moons. Delivery time may vary upon location. KSP compatible docking port not included. Terms of service apply. Cost overruns will, presumably, not occur unless they do, regrettably, and lie with the emptor. Station will remain the property of Devon industries.

---Clearly an offer we can't refuse! (The drones used for supply are rated as the most sophisticated in their specific cost range according to their own manufacturer, but somehow they cannot be relied upon to locate the Medium Supply Station if it moves anything more than a legally very vaguely defined quantity. Davon will bill us even if they can't locate it so please be somewhat careful.)

Deployment

The high dry mass of the station, it has no fuel to begin with, requires you to already have some decent heavy lifting capability to bring in into orbit. 

-Bring station to desired location for activation and press deploy. Take into account the station will fail to operate on an orbit which greatly exceeds the orbit on which is was activated.

-When you are not playing in career mode you first have to supply it with several times the fuel capacity of the station in order to activate the station. This "supply activation" requires the you to already have developed some supply capabilities yourself. This way this part will not start to deliver relatively huge amounts of fuel while the player does not have the rockets and skills to do so. To supply activate the station proceed as follows:

• supply it with the same resources the module is used for, transfer them into the station and press Supply. Repeat until Supplies is at 100%. Station should remain static throughout this procedure. Unless you have some very serious heavy lifting capability you will have to make at least one or two additional fuel supply runs.
  • To successfully supply-activate the station, it's orbit should remain stable throughout this phase. It will reset your progress to zero if is doesn't. (There's more then enough margin for small variations caused by repeated docking.)

-When playing in career mode, no activitation is required. Instead you will be billed for each supply.

-The activation is locked to the celestial body where the activation takes place. If is is towed to another SOI after activation it will perform a factory reset requiring you to activate it once more on location. This station is limited to Kerbin, Mun and Minmus.

Operation

-After activation a fuel delivery can be requested from the station. The fuel delivery is delayed and the delivery time is dependent on SOI, for example Kerbin 2 days, Mun 6. I've tried to make the time a little bigger than the time it would take to do these resupplies for real.

-The size of the resupply is based on the empty part of the station's tanks at the time of making the request. So think before you make a request, because resupplying the entire part costs a lot of funds.

-After activation the station can be moved without serious consequence. However during the time between request and delivery its orbit should again remain stable. Furthermore the station will fail to operate on an orbit which greatly exceeds the orbit on which is was activated. (There's an indicator giving you the relative altitude of your orbit in regard to this limit)

Adding additional resources and changing the part

In its original form the part supplies liquid fuel, oxidizer and monoproppellant. It can however be modified to supply other resources or to make use of another part altogether. There are different ways to do this. One simple way, using Module Manager, is described in this post by hab136. Another method which involves changing a small text file is described in this guide created by HurricanKai

IIS4NLn.png

orr5e8z.png

xdSi7m0.png

Update 24 December 2018

-compiled against 1.6.0 libraries

-added functionality to show the cost of the delivery when pressing "Check delivery" before making an actual delivery.

Update 18 March 2017

-compiled for 1.4

Update 10 June 2017

-compiled for 1.3

Update 26 November 2016

-removed dependency on an functional ModuleAnimateGeneric being present in the part

Update 2 November 2016

-resolved issue where console was spammed with "a"s.

Update 25 Oktober 2016

-small changes to make the mod compatible with 1.2

Update 30 April 2016

-updated for KSP version 1.1.2

Update 22 November 2015

-updated for KSP version 1.0.5

Update 5 September 2015

-updated for KSP version 1.0.4

Update 3 May 2015

-updated for KSP version 1.0.2

Update 18 January 2015

-support for Kerbal Alarm Clock. This feature was added by hab136.

Update 20 December 2014

-made a compatible version for 0.90

Update 10 November 2014

-fixed bug where hub did not function around moons of Kerbin.

Update 30 Oktober 2014

-made a compatible version for 0.25

-planets/moons were the logistics hub is available not based on bodies listed in DeliveryTimeList in part.cfg, for customization

Update 2 August 2014

- the logistics hub now automatically makes available resources after delivery.

- in career mode the space program will be billed for each supply mission.

- in career mode the part will not require resources to be delivered to activate the logistics hub.

- only the amounts of resources will be ordered which are required to fill the logistics hub and billing is based on the amounts ordered. (This allows regulating the resources and resource amounts ordered by the space program)

Update 5 April 2014

Updated the mod to now use kerbal days.

Update 26 December 2013

Made a small patch where in KSP .23 the part's menu icon expanded instead of rotated in the VAB.

Update 18 Oktober 2013

Made mod compatible with KSP .22 by adding the logistics hub to the “Specialized Construction†tech tree node. Preliminary testing shows the plugin and part to still be compatible with the latest version of KSP.

Update 4 August 2013

-The model has been entirely redone by KhaosCorp.

Bug fix 1 August 2013

-Fixed bug where station with inclination close to zero, could get incorrect reports their orbit had changed while in fact it stayed largely the same.

Update 20 Jule 2013

-delivery will always be the equal to maximum delivery amount

-fuel will overflow into connected parts

-reduced number of buttons by one

-revised logic

-cleaned and restructured the code

Update 24 June 2013

Changed textures of the part. I'll make some more updates to the model as my texturing skills improve.

Update 22 June 2013

-The overall feedback suggest the original part was too heavy, big, and too difficult to launch. The model should be of higher quality, and easier to incorporate into stations.

A new model is has been made to address these issues. This new model is the "Davon Station Logistics Hub" It works exactly like the Supply Station, but it's lighter, smaller and can more easily added to stations. This model has been added to the zip on Spaceport. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/davon-supply-mod/

Some screenshots :

sjFYC6z.png

source code part of download, released under GPL (GNU General Public License)

Github repository

Edited by PrivateFlip
added link to modular manager patch for this mod

Let me be the first to say that this is an excellent idea! What I can offer is a couple of suggestions:

- Change the model. It does not look like is belongs in space, and looks unfinished (which is fine, from what I understand the mod is a proof of concept that needs feedback)

- Instead of different sized stations, you could have a series of tanks that can be attached to stations. They could be heavy and expensive to add balance. This way, the mod could still be utilized while providing creative freedom for space stations, etc.

I am offering you my services to help this mod to come along. I can model, do .cfg files, and test, although i am not a professional at any of these things. Good luck!

I look forward to giving this a shot, honestly getting things into space is my least favorite part of the game so eliminating supply runs is a huge boon to me. Just a word of warning though, the download counter on spaceport appears to have little to do with anything, mine lists some 1700 downloads last I checked and I'be gotten little to no traffic in my threads, and the downloads on all my other hosts combined is less than 100. I figure some web bots or search spiders are triggering the counter or something.

The model could be prettier, just making it gray and adding some ksp style lines on it would help.

It's also really really big, half it's length would be fine. Think of the aestetics for someone who runs a neatly designed space station with this whopper attached... it'd stick out everywhere. :)

I understand you don't want it surface attacheable. But this does limits the creativity of players. I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Could you at least add attachment nodes on the station side end? That way people can still work with it.

Does it resupply even when the player isn't attending the station? If I attach two of these to a station, can I resupply at twice the speed? (I have vessels that require over 10.000 liters of fuel)

But I like the concept. I used a cheat part for occasions like this, a large heavy part auto filling station for me. This way in my head I can at least imagine there to be a logical story behind it. I get the idea that you worry about this being a cheat part. I'd say make it have nice gameplay and don't worry about whether it is cheating or not. Let players figure out for themselves if they find it a valuable addition. When economy comes along it'll be much easier to balance this. Just make the player play fifty fold for a liter of fuel so that it's cheaper to send up your own refuellers. I 100% agree with your underlying intent to reduce the need for tedious resupply missions.

Let me be the first to say that this is an excellent idea! What I can offer is a couple of suggestions:

- Change the model. It does not look like is belongs in space, and looks unfinished (which is fine, from what I understand the mod is a proof of concept that needs feedback)

- Instead of different sized stations, you could have a series of tanks that can be attached to stations. They could be heavy and expensive to add balance. This way, the mod could still be utilized while providing creative freedom for space stations, etc.

I am offering you my services to help this mod to come along. I can model, do .cfg files, and test, although i am not a professional at any of these things. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. My moddeling skills are still very fresh. Having tanks or at least something a little more wieldy might be better. I felt, and still feel, it should however stand out a little in some way an not simply be an otherwise unrecognizable part which makes the fuel.

As for your offer, I think I should first try to get better at moddeling myself before soliciting your help, but I might take you up on that offer at some point.

I look forward to giving this a shot, honestly getting things into space is my least favorite part of the game so eliminating supply runs is a huge boon to me. Just a word of warning though, the download counter on spaceport appears to have little to do with anything, mine lists some 1700 downloads last I checked and I'be gotten little to no traffic in my threads, and the downloads on all my other hosts combined is less than 100. I figure some web bots or search spiders are triggering the counter or something.

This explains allot. Within minutes after uploading I already had two downloads so i figured there must be a massive number of people arriving at spaceport at any time for two of them to spot this one under "Newest add ons" ánd download it in within that time period.

Don't mind getting things into space, it's part of the challenge for me, but the same launch-rendezvous-approach-dock routine is starting to drag.

Edited by PrivateFlip

The model could be prettier, just making it gray and adding some ksp style lines on it would help.

It's also really really big, half it's length would be fine. Think of the aestetics for someone who runs a neatly designed space station with this whopper attached... it'd stick out everywhere. :) I understand you don't want it surface attacheable. But this does limits the creativity of players. I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Could you at least add attachment nodes on the station side end? That way people can still work with it.

Agreed. Both Shyhook and you suggest it should be designed to be part of a station. Initially I imagined it would be a standalone station which you could leave around other planets. I kinda sticked with that idea even after I decided it should be Kerbin only where it would make much more sense to be part of a station. I'll try to make some nicer, smaller tanks with that in mind (and two nodes and surface attach.)

Does it resupply even when the player isn't attending the station?

It depends what you mean. After you request a delivery, you can forget about the station and do whatever you want. You don't have to stay with the station while you wait for the delivery and the countdown will persist over saves and sessions. But after a delivery is completed it will not resupply again without you ordering a new one.

If I attach two of these to a station, can I resupply at twice the speed? (I have vessels that require over 10.000 liters of fuel)

Yes, both would be able to request a delivery so you would be able to get two deliveries in the same timespan. You could instead add several normal fueltanks to the mix. After each delivery you could store the fuel in those and request a new delivery. I imagine a 10.000 liter vessel spends enough time from home for multiple subsequent deliveries to be completed, since they only take two days to Kerbin orbit.

Edited by PrivateFlip

It depends what you mean. After you request a delivery, you can forget about the station and do whatever you want. You don't have to stay with the station while you wait for the delivery and the countdown will persist over saves and sessions. But after a delivery is completed it will not resupply again without you ordering a new one.

Thanks, That answers my question ;)

Yes, both would be able to request a delivery so you would be able to get two deliveries in the same timespan. You could instead add several normal fueltanks to the mix. After each delivery you could store the fuel in those and request a new delivery. I imagine a 10.000 liter vessel spends enough time from home for multiple subsequent deliveries to be completed, since they only take two days to Kerbin orbit.

Good point actually, I'm so used to having to be around the station while it reloads it's fuel (That cheat part) that this completely slipped my mind. :)

I like the idea of this mod. While it is a "cheat" mod, as other have said in a balance sense just make it expensive fuel.

However the model is just to big and too heavy. I would be very interested to know what launch vehicle you used. My test launch results in a collapse of the docking port joint even with 12 struts.

I like the idea of this mod. While it is a "cheat" mod, as other have said in a balance sense just make it expensive fuel.

However the model is just to big and too heavy. I would be very interested to know what launch vehicle you used. My test launch results in a collapse of the docking port joint even with 12 struts.

Here is how I did it Sathurn:

screenshot39.png

The fact its apparently too hard to launch is only one of the problems. It's clear from all the comments I have some more work to do.

Edited by PrivateFlip

"see spaceport for a full desc"

How could I've missed that *facepalm*

*After reading*

So basically, get it to a station, don't change the orbit, deliver fuel into the part, then order for some fuel, and takes some time.

I like this!

Edited by The Destroyer

Thanks for the advice. My moddeling skills are still very fresh. Having tanks or at least something a little more wieldy might be better. I felt, and still feel, it should however stand out a little in some way an not simply be an otherwise unrecognizable part which makes the fuel.

As for your offer, I think I should first try to get better at moddeling myself before soliciting your help, but I might take you up on that offer at some point.

This explains allot. Within minutes after uploading I already had two downloads so i figured there must be a massive number of people arriving at spaceport at any time for two of them to spot this one under "Newest add ons" ánd download it in within that time period.

Don't mind getting things into space, it's part of the challenge for me, but the same launch-rendezvous-approach-dock routine is starting to drag.

Good deal man. As I said good luck and I will be following closely!

Thanks I appreciate this mod. Much more RP than Hyperedit and allows me to avoid launching my heavy tanker for the 15th+ time when I would rather do other fun things. I docked this to a space station in orbit and then docked and retained my heavy tankers used to activate as storage. I then can run this a few times and offload it to those heavy storage tankers. Makes for a nice orbital supply station as you said "outsourced" so I can do the fun stuff. Look forward to additional models.

Thanks I appreciate this mod. Much more RP than Hyperedit and allows me to avoid launching my heavy tanker for the 15th+ time when I would rather do other fun things. I docked this to a space station in orbit and then docked and retained my heavy tankers used to activate as storage. I then can run this a few times and offload it to those heavy storage tankers. Makes for a nice orbital supply station as you said "outsourced" so I can do the fun stuff. Look forward to additional models.

Glad you like it!

If you have any advice on what kind of models should be there or what improvements you would like on the current model, let me know. I just updated the textures to something a little more sophisticated and plain.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of this mod is to replace manual labor in repetitive tasks, to do it fairly you must first prove that you are able to do it at all.

so you run a resupply run to prove you can, and then it will do it for you

Thank you! I have two in orbit now :D One in parking orbit, and the other with the beginnings of a Karmony Station (the FusTek download) that will be moved to Mun orbit when complete. May stack a few on that one to use as an interplanetary refuel stop.

I love the idea that once in Mun orbit I will be able to supply multiple lander missions from the station with a logical reason to explain where the gas is coming from :cool:

I also like the concept of proving I can do it myself with the initial supply.

My thoughts are along with most of the others- modular so we can add as much or as little as needed to a station, eventual textures etc.

When you go for the upgrade perhaps add a control station type look to the top, room for the operator and an energy req etc

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! I have two in orbit now :D One in parking orbit, and the other with the beginnings of a Karmony Station (the FusTek download) that will be moved to Mun orbit when complete. May stack a few on that one to use as an interplanetary refuel stop.

Why stack? You could use some normal fueltanks as an expanded reservoir. Delivery to Mun only takes six days, so if you switch back a couple of times during your half year interplanetary trip you to transfer the fuel to the normal tanks and request a new delivery you should be able to have enough fuel when you return home.

I love the idea that once in Mun orbit I will be able to supply multiple lander missions from the station with a logical reason to explain where the gas is coming from :cool:

I also like the concept of proving I can do it myself with the initial supply.

My thoughts are along with most of the others- modular so we can add as much or as little as needed to a station, eventual textures etc.

When you go for the upgrade perhaps add a control station type look to the top, room for the operator and an energy req etc

Glad you like it. Have made a small upgrade to the logic behind the part so it should be a little more user friendly but haven't yet improved the looks of the part.

Really like the idea! I'd use this thing almost instantly, but my holiday internet is too slow for downloading.

Definetly looking forward t this one :D Excuse me, KSP you have to handle one more mod... :P

Greetz from space holidays

Marrus Qerman

Really like the idea! I'd use this thing almost instantly, but my holiday internet is too slow for downloading.

Definetly looking forward t this one :D Excuse me, KSP you have to handle one more mod... :P

Greetz from space holidays

Marrus Qerman

You may be happy to know that the download is only ~366kb. That couldn't take too long to download even on the slowest connection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.