+ [Part] [1.6] Davon supply mod v025

PrivateFlip

Anyone who downloaded on the 19 or 20 th who are experiencing incomplete deliveries should redownload the plugin as i found a bug which has been corrected in the evening of the 20th (GMT). The fix also made sure fuel is now first delivered to the part and only then to the rest of the vessel, in addition it should now also deliver fuel to each part of the vessel and not only those part to which 'direct' fuel flow is possible from the hub.

does it supply ALL vessels in the SOI of the planet

or

does it only supple the vessel(s) with the "orbit limit" in the right click menu?

Nope. It only supplies the Station Logistics Hub itself and anything attached to it. This part can of course be part of a station. But you would still have to rendezvous with your ship the station to to get fuel. The hub itself is also the only part with "orbit limit" in its right click menu.

You may be happy to know that the download is only ~366kb. That couldn't take too long to download even on the slowest connection.

Thanks! It'll still take me some minutes (<64 kbps) but it's defintly worth it. Just hoping my connection doesn't cut too often...

Sincerely

Marrus Qerman

PS:

I'm in Space! Space! Spacespacespace! Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

How is development on this part going? Is it compatible with 0.21? I think it's very promising, but it could still use some work--feature-wise it's pretty good, but the texture definitely needs to be a bit more sensible (what are all those shapes?).

How is development on this part going? Is it compatible with 0.21? I think it's very promising, but it could still use some work--feature-wise it's pretty good, but the texture definitely needs to be a bit more sensible (what are all those shapes?).

The part is compatible with 0.21. Tested that two days ago when i was finally able to download 0.21, but in my excitment in playing 0.21 itself I totally forgot to mention it on spaceport.

Those shapes were supposed to be fuel tanks. :) I agree the textures could have some upgrading, but at this point there's no work underway to have that implemented. The main problem: I'm not very good at modeling and texturing both in knowledge and technique. From where I'm currently at there is a pretty steep learning curve to where the model would start to be any good and I have been kinda putting off making improvements to the textures because of this.

But posts like yours do indicate there are people interested at using the mod so maybe I can instead find a more professional modeler to do the modeling part of the operation.

Edited by PrivateFlip

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I'm having an issue. After delivering the module into orbit and docking with my fuel tug, I can supply it up to about 30%. That part is fine. On the second fuel dump, instead of going to 60, it says that the orbit has shifted too far and resets. I have replicated this several times, each with no fluctuation in my orbit. This has been going on in a 200k orbit of Kerbin with an eccentricity of less than 200 meters.

Edit: Burning a bit with my tug to increase eccentricity seems to have fixed the issue. I guess calculations get a bit weird when the periapsis and apoapsis trade places several times a second.

Edited by Ultraturbopanda
Solution

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I'm having an issue. After delivering the module into orbit and docking with my fuel tug, I can supply it up to about 30%. That part is fine. On the second fuel dump, instead of going to 60, it says that the orbit has shifted too far and resets. I have replicated this several times, each with no fluctuation in my orbit. This has been going on in a 200k orbit of Kerbin with an eccentricity of less than 200 meters.

At this point the deviation which is allowed should actually be extremely laxe. It is governed by the "MaxDeviationValue" in the part.cfg, which is currently set to 5 and would be comparable to changing an orbit parameter value with 5%, 5 degrees or ratio of 0.05, whichever applies, which around a heavy body like Kerbin should require quite a long burn.

The game does have issues with orbits with extreme low eccentricity. You can see that for yourselves when warping, upon ending the warp you can see the periapsis and apoapsis make a small jump, however the plugin has been made to completely ignore the parameter affected by this, so it shouldn't cause any issues for you.

I'm currently testing in 0.21 whether approaching the hub would cause any alterations in its orbit, my last guess, since I didn't actually do that in my testing in 0.21, but i was able the complete my second delivery with no issues.

Below the relevant results after my second delivery:

orbit parameters after second supply
SMA = 730410.239243016
ECC = 0.000338395145664194
INC = 0.82508899874075
LPE = 225.304031740757
LAN = 176.222907331797
MNA = 4.3935464075257

saved parameters for first supply
SMAsave = 730379.8
ECCsave = 0.0004073184
INCsave = 0.8252154
LPEsave = 249.2786
LANsave = 176.1983
MNAsave = 0.9784709

The orbit of my station also had low eccentricity, you can see tell by the relatively big jump in the LPE (argument of periapsis, I believe), which again is completely ignored by the plugin (along with MNA)

So Ultraturbopanda, I at this point cannot find a reason why this is happening. I can understand this is very frustrating and this is one of the things i would have liked to prevent at all cost, it's the main reason why the allowed deviation is set relatively high.

If you could please send me the quicksave file before the second delivery. It's okay if you already docked the fuel tug, but you shouldn't have pressed supply yet.

Edited by PrivateFlip

I gave this mod a whirl tonight and while it appears to work I can't convince myself it's really doing something I need/want. The basic package is pretty hefty so I used novapunch parts to launch it. Then followed up with stock refuelers. That went smoothly enough until I filled it for the 3rd time, it went to 99.99998% filled. So I put a little more of everything in and hit supply again, it went to 100%.

So far so good but what now? The 3 levels are all still low, do I have to keep topping this thing off? Or is this meant for static installations, ie does hitting delivery wait 2 days then fill this thing up? If so I don't know if it's really worth the bother tbh, 2kish fuel every 2 days only pays off after 6 days + whatever else it took to get it set up.

Using Kethane I can supply myself a lot faster and in bulk. Maybe I'm missing something or perhaps this just isn't useful to me.

I gave this mod a whirl tonight and while it appears to work I can't convince myself it's really doing something I need/want. The basic package is pretty hefty so I used novapunch parts to launch it. Then followed up with stock refuelers. That went smoothly enough until I filled it for the 3rd time, it went to 99.99998% filled. So I put a little more of everything in and hit supply again, it went to 100%.

So far so good but what now? The 3 levels are all still low, do I have to keep topping this thing off? Or is this meant for static installations, ie does hitting delivery wait 2 days then fill this thing up? If so I don't know if it's really worth the bother tbh, 2kish fuel every 2 days only pays off after 6 days + whatever else it took to get it set up.

Using Kethane I can supply myself a lot faster and in bulk. Maybe I'm missing something or perhaps this just isn't useful to me.

I have a station in lko and this is a god send for that. I'm running some missions to minimus atm, and being able to order supply drop, fly to min, and then return to the station and refuel knowing there will be fuel available is great.

If it's at hundred you're done. Right now you can request a delivery, and go do other stuff, if you go back after two days and check the delivery the fuel will be made available. The hub is meant for static installations, like a station. You would for instance switch back to your station a couple of times to request deliveries while you're one your way to Duna. Once you get back you would have the station topped off to refuel you interplanetary ship instead of having to fly the same repetitive refuel missions over and over.

But you're right, if your looking at in-universe time its definitely faster to refuel manually, this mod only takes away the sometimes repetitive chore of doing so with the intent of saving your precious out of game time so you can focus on doing more interesting stuff. Most Kethane users probably won't like this mod because for them the fun lies in the whole Kethane mining and conversion thing. Many players probably don't really mind flying refuel missions at all. To each their own.

(I'll try to clarify the Spaceport info so its a little more clear what the mod does)

Edited by PrivateFlip

I take it to the Mun, I then attach the beginnings of a station to it.

Then I fill it all of the way up, and hit Supply.

It then switches to "deploying in orbit", I wait and wait, around 7 days later it stops saying "deploying in orbit".

I then pump the fuel into the other tanks on the station and hit request delivery, it then acts like I never supplied it in the first place.

wtf?

If it's at hundred you're done. Right now you can request a delivery, and go do other stuff, if you go back after two days and check the delivery the fuel will be made available.

Ah ok, thanks for the reply. It was just that it hit 99.99998%, might want to check you've not got a rounding error somewhere. And you're right, I don't mind refuels, I can launch pretty big loads so I just hoist a cluster of cans into orbit with a docking port. Mechjeb semi-auto rendezvous while I forum surf. I built a massive kethane mining and refining effort round Minmus anyway so my interplanetary missions stop there where the gravity well is shallow.

I take it to the Mun, I then attach the beginnings of a station to it.

Then I fill it all of the way up, and hit Supply.

It then switches to "deploying in orbit", I wait and wait, around 7 days later it stops saying "deploying in orbit".

I then pump the fuel into the other tanks on the station and hit request delivery, it then acts like I never supplied it in the first place.

wtf?

Hitting request delivery should have given the message "not yet supply-activated" indicating the part is not yet active.

Once you hit Supply it should consume the fuel delivered to the station, it also should affirm this by saying "accepting supply". The first time you might have to hit supply twice, because the station first needs to deploy itself in orbit. (I've now updated the how to use instructions; my apologies for the inconvenience.) So at this point you only have to hit supply once more to deliver the fuel currently in the part.

Once you do so you'll find out it has only been supplied up to 30% or something and realize you have to do two more missions to the Mun to get the part activated. After doing so you can hit request delivery and it should affirm this by saying "delivery requested".

Several more refuels, and each time it reset the supply counter because it thinks I changed orbit (didn't).

Uninstall.

Sorry man. I don't know why that's happening.

EDIT: Bug fix 1 August 2013

-Fixed bug where station with inclination close to zero, could get incorrect reports their orbit had changed while in fact it stayed largely the same.

Edited by PrivateFlip

I was in a high Mun orbit, so even docking changes your orbit enough.

I'm going to assume you were really careful the second time around. Even on the highest orbits it would take over a minute of straight rcs burn to exceed the value.

When your inclination is very close to zero you could get effects where really small adjustments have a big impact on a specific orbit parameter, I suspect but don't know for sure this caused your issues. There was a similar report yesterday but I couldn't find a plausible reason.

Anyway, thank you for reporting the bug despite your troubles.

Ah ok, thanks for the reply. It was just that it hit 99.99998%, might want to check you've not got a rounding error somewhere.

Thanks, spotted it. Will be fixed in next update.

And you're right, I don't mind refuels, I can launch pretty big loads so I just hoist a cluster of cans into orbit with a docking port. Mechjeb semi-auto rendezvous while I forum surf. I built a massive kethane mining and refining effort round Minmus anyway so my interplanetary missions stop there where the gravity well is shallow.

Using Minmus or Mun as well for refuels probably makes a lot of sense if your using Kethane.

Added a small summary to spaceport so future visitors hopefully have a clearer picture of what to expect.

Summary:
In short this mod provides the following: It supplies a part which can be attached to a station, this part has then to be provided with fuel to be activated (LiquidFuel, 8640; Oxidizer, 10560; MonoPropellant, 2250). After activation the part can then be used to request fuel deliveries which take from 2 days in Kerbin orbit to 11 days to Minmus and contain LiquidFuel, 2880; Oxidizer, 3520; MonoPropellant, 750 per delivery.

I'm going to assume you were really careful the second time around. Even on the highest orbits it would take over a minute of straight rcs burn to exceed the value.

When your inclination is very close to zero you could get effects where really small adjustments have a big impact on a specific orbit parameter, I suspect but don't know for sure this caused your issues. There was a similar report yesterday but I couldn't find a plausible reason.

Anyway, thank you for reporting the bug despite your troubles.

No RCS was fired from the station, I suspect its purely a function of the length of the station turning, and the large amount of mass I was docking.

Regardless, I would recommend DRASTICALLY losing up requirement. Why is it there in the first place?

If a station were to move even 10 degrees from orbit, why does the resupply ship care?

No RCS was fired from the station, I suspect its purely a function of the length of the station turning, and the large amount of mass I was docking.

Regardless, I would recommend DRASTICALLY losing up requirement. Why is it there in the first place?

If a station were to move even 10 degrees from orbit, why does the resupply ship care?

When your talking about orbital...well anything at all...orbital mechanics in general, 10deg is a rather large amount, and can change many other orbital parameters by a good deal as well.

The 'resupply' ship if it were real would HAVE to care about a 10deg difference...just like you would yourself if you were to fly the mission....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.