+ [Part] [1.6] Davon supply mod v025

PrivateFlip

I don't suppose you could add a way to detect if there's a kethane mining operation on the moon the station is orbiting, and decrease the delivery time to 1 day if so? The mod assumes all fuel comes from Kerbin. I've been editing the CFG so far to set delay to 1 day each for Mun and Minimus, but that's cheating if I haven't already set up my mining operation.

No RCS was fired from the station, I suspect its purely a function of the length of the station turning, and the large amount of mass I was docking.

Regardless, I would recommend DRASTICALLY losing up requirement. Why is it there in the first place?

If a station were to move even 10 degrees from orbit, why does the resupply ship care?

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason it was there is because I wanted it the mod to have some limitations and not be another infinite fuel generator. When i wrote the plugin i had it on 1 degree which more than fine around Kerbin, never had any issues and I tested the **** out of it. I was even going to put it to 0,5 but then I feared this would create issues around low gravity objects like Minmus, so i drastically increased it to 5 which appeared to give more than enough room around Minmus. The last thing I wanted is for people to really have to watch their step. So I was really suprised to get Ultraturbopanda and your reports. Initially I believed there would be something wrong else with the logic exactly because the allowed deviation was so high but I couldn't find anything. Then through rigorous testing after receiving your report I stumbled on the bug mentioned above, which, to be clear, was really a design oversight on my part. My testing never had inclinations so close to zero so it never reared it's head, it would require some luck to get it close enough to matter unless :blush: of course the station wasn't maneuvered there by a human but by a machine, like mechjeb, which, although i never use it, probably does exactly that.

I could set it to 10, but from your reports I just know its something else and I of course hope this was it. If the problem persists despite the fix making it two times as big isn't going solve it and I will probably drop it altogether.

I don't suppose you could add a way to detect if there's a kethane mining operation on the moon the station is orbiting, and decrease the delivery time to 1 day if so? The mod assumes all fuel comes from Kerbin. I've been editing the CFG so far to set delay to 1 day each for Mun and Minimus, but that's cheating if I haven't already set up my mining operation.

That's technically feasible. It could check if there are vessels landed on the planet and then check if they contain Kethane, but such a mechanic would break realism when the Kethane patch was depleted, or the particular Kethane was actually shipped in from elsewhere. Taking all that into account would require more complicated code. It might be a better idea if Kethane users wanted such functionality to have some dedicated relay system where you would deliver fuel to a ground station which would then with delay be delivered to an orbiting station. It's much easier to make something like that from the ground up and it would integrate better with the Kethane game mechanic than to try and squeeze it in the current mod in a somewhat acceptable way.

As for the cheating, I think its just what you think is reasonable and permit yourself (in a single player game).

Edited by PrivateFlip

• 2 months later...

bump

Update: Made mod compatible with KSP .22 by adding the logistics hub to the “Specialized Construction†tech tree node. Preliminary testing shows the plugin and part to still be compatible with the latest version of KSP. Some more extensive testing will be completed in the coming week as the plugin has had some unforeseen issues come up despite testing in earlier releases.

Planned features:

-to also have the ability to have Kerbals brought from and to the station. Khaoscorp has already placed hatch to this end when making the new model.

-next KSP update when economy is likely to be introduced I will have the Logistics Hub bill the player for all deliveries.

Sounds cool. I think I'll try it out. I'm going to start a new career anyway due to a bug (can't load any ships from my VAB, happened after trying the MechJeb dev build 83, compatible with .22), so once I get this MechJeb will probably be out and I can try making a refueling space station. I'm no good at making ships that have much fuel left over after orbit, so this will really help me. Thanks for the mod. Say, does anyone know someone that did some sort of series with this mod installed? I'd like to see it in action. :)

Hey, I'm just about to try this out. Sounds awesome. One feature request I haven't seen mentioned is the ability to make our own delivery ships. Think you could do that? :)

You actually don't see any ships delivering fuel. :( You make a delivery request from the Logistics Hub and a few days later the fuel is made available in the part or in the station the part is attached to, so don't expect to come across any vessels ala 'SpaceX Dragon' en-route to the station.

Sounds cool. I think I'll try it out. I'm going to start a new career anyway due to a bug (can't load any ships from my VAB, happened after trying the MechJeb dev build 83, compatible with .22), so once I get this MechJeb will probably be out and I can try making a refueling space station. I'm no good at making ships that have much fuel left over after orbit, so this will really help me. Thanks for the mod. Say, does anyone know someone that did some sort of series with this mod installed? I'd like to see it in action. :)

I'm afraid you might be disappointed, because before you can actually can get the Logistics Hub to deliver fuel to you, you have to first activate it by delivering very big quantities of fuel to it. So if you're not yet able to get ships with much fuel left to orbit, you won't be able to activate it in an appreciable time. (I of course do not know exactly where you're at in the game and how much fuel you can deliver if you make a dedicated fuel supply ship)

The mod is aimed at players for whom delivering huge amounts of fuel to kerbin orbit is becoming somewhat repetitive. To this end the mod is intentionally 'nerfed' this way so only players who have already developed good fuel supply capabilities within their own space program can at some point outsource this capability. The primary reason why players, who use this mod, want this is because the fuel supply missions themselves can become a little boring after you've done a few dozen of them.

I realize this also ties to my answer to SmiteZero suggestion: the mod is more aimed towards being a balanced utility which allows you to better enjoy other parts of the game.

I hope this cleared things up and thank you for taking an interest in this mod!

Edited by PrivateFlip

Anyone else not able to use this in 0.22? I "purchase" the supply mod part in the research tree, yet when I go into the VAB I cannot click it and it says it needs to be purchased from the R&D. I go back into R&D and lo and behold the part is no longer purchased.... ad infinitum :(

Anyone else not able to use this in 0.22? I "purchase" the supply mod part in the research tree, yet when I go into the VAB I cannot click it and it says it needs to be purchased from the R&D. I go back into R&D and lo and behold the part is no longer purchased.... ad infinitum :(

Hello MuadDib,

I did not experience such a problem myself in testing as well as my main game, but I've looked into it again in response to your comment.

If I install the mod after I unlock the node I do get a notice in the VAB requesting me to purchase it in R&D. In the R&D I then click the supply mod, which up to that point is set to '60000c'. It gives me a popup asking me if i want to research the part. Clicking research shows the part as 'owned'. Going to the VAB now allows me to use the part.

If I install the mod before researching the node the part is immediately available.

I'm therefore unable to reproduce the bug at this point, however, looking around, I do find similar problems with other mods on the forum.

The OP in this thread is experiencing a similar problem with mechjeb. And this one too.

This thread describes something similar with the Z-400 Rechargable Battery

In this thread Tiberion mentions the following two solutions:

Public Service Announcement:

If you add new parts that will be unlocked in career mode while KSP is open, you should restart KSP, or at the very least change scenes from the Space Center (for which the R&D window is just an overlay) to the SPH or VAB and then come back after reloading the database but BEFORE entering the R&D screen. You can bork your save file good and proper if you don't.

Just restarting is safest. :P

If you were using any mod that included a custom tech tree (using Treeloader) then you may be suffering from a bug where mods not included in the original tree when it was made won't show up in career mode as purchased. So make sure you have the newest version of the Treeloader DLL from the official thread.

Does any of the above apply to you?

If not, could you send me your savefile? This will greatly help me in tracking down the issue. (The savefile is called "persistent.sfs" and it can be found after opening the folder corresponding to the game you are experiencing the problem in the '/saves' folder in your main KSP directory.)

Looking into the savefile it shows the Logistics Hub as unlocked. When i try to use the savegame in game the part is immediately available for me. I do not use Treeloader.

I would like to help you out, but at this point I'm at a loss. In addition the Treeloader thread as well as Tiberion comments mention a variety of issues with mods and Treeloader, so I'm leaning toward the suggestion your problem has something to do with that mod.

It only works in orbit within overall Kerbin SoI (as in in orbit around kerbin, mun, or minmus). This was never meant as a 'fix all' or free fuel type of mod. Rather it takes away alot of the boring repeat missions one needs to keep main station fueled to refuel interplanetary missions as they come up from Kerbin.

Would it be possible to have supply services on other planets if we, for instance, construct ground facilities on that planet?

The current plugin can already facilitate supply services on other planets. All that is needed is editing this line

DeliveryTimeList = Kerbin, 2, Mun, 6, Minmus, 11

with the desired planet and followed by the delivery delay.

This will however have an impact on gameplay and was not the intention of this mod like KhaosCorp explained above. In the vanilla game/real life there is little point to arrange for regular fuel supply missions from Kerbin to Duna just to allow another ship to refuel there. Since all fuel is sourced from kerbin it would make much more sense, both economically and the amount of hassle for the player, to have the other ship bring the necessary fuel itself.

I can however imagine a somewhat different fuel supply mod like you suggest, which functions as a deep space supply station and requires a base to be established on the surface; the story being that the station is being supplied by the base below. It could for instance measure the dry weight of kerbal assets on the planet surface and count this amount towards a minimum for activation of the station. A Kethane light so to speak.

There are no technical difficulties to make other conditionals, like having a base on the planet, a factor for activation of the module. Furthermore I wouldn't mind making such a mod if there was some demand for it. I am however a bit hesitant to add these features to the current mod.

Edited by PrivateFlip

How about skimming small amounts of fuel from the atmo of some bodies. For example, saturn's moon titan has methane & ethane clouds, organic compounds, and lakes of hydrocarbons. Maybe we can get a "robotic fuel skimming" station that consumes a certain amount of fuel each go, before paying it back with a bit extra. It'd be relatively small amounts of fuel at high cost (maybe 1/4 the fuel the current part delivers, requiring 25%-50% of what was delivered for another run, high electrical cost, small chance of losing a skimmer) but it would certainly be useful to get even small amounts of fuel out there.

I imagine a part that houses 4 skimmers, and the fuel used for each launch, the skimmers themselves looking somewhat like NASA's X-43 hypersonic scramjet. Set it to active and every orbit it will send one down (model disappears) while consuming a large quantity of power (remote guidance control computers, right?). If power runs out, you lose the skimmer. If it makes it back, it resupplies the part outputs the excess (maybe variable?) and sends another. When you set it to inactive it will still consume power until the current skimmer is back and it's load is accepted, it will also set itself to inactive if there is no tank space left to fill. It would also be possible to bring and store extra skimmers in a separate skimmer bay in case you lose one, as well as running multiple control stations to double your resource rate as long as you have the power for both.

Also, for setup, I imagine it would be much more particular about its positioning (specific orbit range per body, such as between 200km and 225km), and would require a few orbits of running at full power to scan the planets atmosphere. Afterwards, the same button can be used to start and stop the skimming operation.

I can however imagine a somewhat different fuel supply mod like you suggest, which functions as a deep space supply station and requires a base to be established on the surface; the story being that the station is being supplied by the base below. It could for instance measure the dry weight of kerbal assets on the planet surface and count this amount towards a minimum for activation of the station. A Kethane light so to speak.

I was imagining more like it would automatically subtract a chunk of fuel from a certain vessel on the surface and, after the delay, bring it to the station. This way you could still use KAS, Kethane, etcetera to construct your base and then just use your mod to automate the reusable launches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.