+ [Part] [1.6] Davon supply mod v025

PrivateFlip

Seems like DS mod's "engine" feature is breaking MechJeb's delta-v calculation - it shows nothing in VAB. Is it safe to just remove that "engine" from cfg file or it's needed for resupply or different stuff?

The engine is deleted the moment the part is loaded into the flight scene and as such is non essential to the operation of the mod, so you could delete it. However you would experience a bug in the editor where instead of rotating the part's icon, the icon will expand when hovering the mouse over the part's tile in the VAB, which would block the view on your screen. This bug is merely a visual one, after holding your mouse over the tile for several seconds the icon will become so large that it disappears again as it expands outside the walls of the VAB.

(From what I gathered this is a known bug where having more than two resources in a part without an engine causes these display issues of the part's icon in the editor.)

• 2 months later...

I really love this idea! I'm downloading to try this mod out. Quick question (and I apologize for not reading the 10 pages to see if this was asked), but here goes...

If I wanted to modify this mod slightly to add more resources, is that possible? I'm thinking of TAC Life Support Supplies.

Also a neat idea, not sure if you can implement such a thing: Let's say I have a drilling unit on a Kethane patch, an orbital refinery, and a transport "tanker" vehicle. The idea is that the transport delivers kethane to the orbiting refinery from the wellhead, refuels at the station and lands again to bring up the next load of Kethane.

So the question would be, how or if a complementary plugin could be written that would be able to figure out how much fuel the transport was using per trip. The plugin would then automatically deduct the approprate value of Kethane from the deposit "delivering" it to the station for the cost of the calculated amount of fuel the transport needed to do so. I know this sounds "pie in the sky", but it sure would make for a very interesting companion to Kethane!

Thanks for your time.

My refueling missions to my station can now be GREATLY reduced (uses a few resources this doesn't cover). :D Can it be used on a Mun or Minmus base (landed) or does it have to be in orbit? If I find the answer I'll edit that question out :)

@PrivateFlip -- That bug doesn't require an engine; just any sort of module, you could add modulegenerator or moduleSAS and they'd also fix the issue.

Thanks, will change that next update!

I really love this idea! I'm downloading to try this mod out. Quick question (and I apologize for not reading the 10 pages to see if this was asked), but here goes...

If I wanted to modify this mod slightly to add more resources, is that possible? I'm thinking of TAC Life Support Supplies.

Jip, relativly easy. The following link describes what needs to be done: link.

Aside from adding the resource section to the part.cfg, you also have to add the resource name to the "ManagedResources" list in the module section ("DavonRestrictedResourceSupplyModule") of the part.cfg

Also a neat idea, not sure if you can implement such a thing: Let's say I have a drilling unit on a Kethane patch, an orbital refinery, and a transport "tanker" vehicle. The idea is that the transport delivers kethane to the orbiting refinery from the wellhead, refuels at the station and lands again to bring up the next load of Kethane.

So the question would be, how or if a complementary plugin could be written that would be able to figure out how much fuel the transport was using per trip. The plugin would then automatically deduct the approprate value of Kethane from the deposit "delivering" it to the station for the cost of the calculated amount of fuel the transport needed to do so. I know this sounds "pie in the sky", but it sure would make for a very interesting companion to Kethane!

Thanks for your time.

I've written this thing a while back. Not exactly what you requested, but might be an acceptable alternative. It now use a very ugly part, but you could add the module to any part you want of course.

On an entirely different note, I'm now working on a mod which, in short, will allow you to fly one flight from say Kerbin launchpad to your spacestation. You would then be able to plan repeat missions based on this flights. These flights would happen mostly in the background, but a similar vessel to the one you used would end up rendezvousing with the station on every completion. And hopefully I would also get them to dock (if I for the live of me can figure out how to convert an local/world position into an orbit.position or find another way.) If this all works, I'll add return missions, planetary landings and missions consisting of multiple phases.

This is all in very early stages at this point.

My refueling missions to my station can now be GREATLY reduced (uses a few resources this doesn't cover). :D Can it be used on a Mun or Minmus base (landed) or does it have to be in orbit? If I find the answer I'll edit that question out :)

you have to be in orbit...

I'm confused. I've docked a fully loaded Davon Supply into orbit. It's currently at 15% supplied. It still has half its internal tank, but it won't seem to accept it, just says "accepting supplys"

AHA! Turns out I forgot to launch it with full monoprollant. I had extra, so I'm good.

Edited by The Destroyer

Hey flip!

First, thank you for this awesome mod :)

I've a question regarding your other plugin, the "RestrictedFuelTransfer": does it still work in 23.5?

I tried to make a logistic part to get my ExPL-Metal and RocketParts into orbit for an orbital ship yard, but I'm not able to select any vessel on the ground (tried it with mun and kerbin).

I added your plugin to a part and edited the ressources accordingly, any idea what's wrong?

Regards,

Stage

@PrivateFlip : Btw I found a cool mod synergy with your station component.

- Install Modular Fuels

- Use Module Manager to remove default resources & assign a MF tank type to your part

- Use the same Module Manager config to update the "ManagedResources" to everything possible in the tank type.

- Add part to ship & assign my choice resource loadout

I tested it and it properly ignores anything you don't choose, requires everything you do, takes its 3x supply to activate properly, and delivers proper resources with no glitches.

Now have mine configured to handle Extra-Planetary Launchpads, Kethane, Near Future Propulsion, KSP Interstellar, & TAC Life Support resources. THANK YOU for simplifying my LKO resource managing nightmare :P

If you do another release you might want to consider making a built in definition for Modular Fuel Tanks so people don't have to guess how much it should hold (I just used an arbitrary number). Would solve alot of the requests you get for customized resource mixes. (EDIT: Or I could clean mine up and post it for people if you don't mind)

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

- The logistics hub is unlocked with the "Adv. Fuel Systems" tech tree node.

- You can find the station under the Utility category.

- Bring part to the desired destination for activation and press supply. Take into account the station will fail to operate on an orbit which greatly exceeds the orbit on which is was activated.

- In order to activate the hub you will first have to supply it with several times the fuel capacity of the station. To do so supply it with resources, transfer them into the station and press Supply. The first time you might have to hit supply twice, because the station first needs to deploy itself. Repeat until Supplies is at 100%. Unless you have some very serious heavy lifting capability you will have to make at least one or two additional fuel supply runs. To successfully supply-activate the hub, it's orbit should remain stable throughout this phase. It will reset your progress to zero if is doesn't. (There's more then enough margin for small variations caused by repeated docking.)

- Recources can only be supplied to the part in equal proportions to their max capacity, which means LiquidFuel, Oxidizer and MonoPropellant should be supplied at the same time.

- The activation is locked to the celestial body where the activation takes place. If is is towed to another SOI after activation it will perform a factory reset requiring you to activate it once more on location. This hub is limited to Kerbin, Mun and Minmus.

Edited by PrivateFlip

have you considered doing this with other fuel types? Like Interstellar mod/monoprop

Yes, but i decided not to do so. I did make the mod quite easy to modify, so you can add the resources you like.

I do however like this idea:

@PrivateFlip : Btw I found a cool mod synergy with your station component.

- Install Modular Fuels

- Use Module Manager to remove default resources & assign a MF tank type to your part

- Use the same Module Manager config to update the "ManagedResources" to everything possible in the tank type.

- Add part to ship & assign my choice resource loadout

If you do another release you might want to consider making a built in definition for Modular Fuel Tanks so people don't have to guess how much it should hold (I just used an arbitrary number). Would solve alot of the requests you get for customized resource mixes. (EDIT: Or I could clean mine up and post it for people if you don't mind)

If I add a definition for modular fuel tanks, which I'll assume means adding an MF partmodule do the tanks, would it bother users which do not have modular fuel tanks installed? I'm not to eager to creating dependencies on other mods. If it doens't this seems like a pretty cool solution: i could ask some authoritative person to define the max resource amount for the different resources, and advice all future additional resource requests to install Modular Fuels.

Is this mod still being maintained? Spaceport is going down soon.

I knew, but thanks for the reminder. Have moved the mod to curse.

Not familiar with curse but read some discontent over Squads decision to do so, will give it a chance though.

I do however like this idea:

If I add a definition for modular fuel tanks, which I'll assume means adding an MF partmodule do the tanks, would it bother users which do not have modular fuel tanks installed? I'm not to eager to creating dependencies on other mods. If it doens't this seems like a pretty cool solution: i could ask some authoritative person to define the max resource amount for the different resources, and advice all future additional resource requests to install Modular Fuels.

Depends on how you set it up I think really. Your could take a look at the Spherical & Toroidal Tanks mod as a working example. It has built-in configs for both Modular & Real fuels without actually requiring a dependency for them. Its actually what I used to learn how to set up Modular Fuel files configs :P

Optionally you could do what I would have ended up doing (if i cleaned my file up) is setting up a separate MM cfg file with a requires flag. If it doesn't find the modular fuels dll (I think thats what it looks for for that flag, would have to double check the module manager thread) then the code in that extra config file would just be ignored. Use that to insert the tank module so it only runs if its needed :)

As for the tank capacity its more or less arbitrary depending on how much you want the tank to hold. For the most part I think most of the resources (unless you fiddle with the "utilization" values/overrides on your tank is a simple 1:1 ratio, though XenonGas is like 56:1 ratio in MF lol. Fuel mass is auto calculated based on whatever the actual Resource Definition is, so while setting up a Jumbo-64 for 6400 metal (Extraplanetary) sounds good in theory, doesn't necessarily mean you can get it into orbit lol. The Mass override n the Tank is used to add "extra" mass to the tank total to account for things like cooling/compression systems. In theory you could also penalize someone for choosing to "cheat" with a specific resource... its an option but its going to be hard to get in place & start up :P

EDIT: Figured I would just post mine as an example

TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = ExDavonSuperlist
basemass = 0.000625 * volume
TANK
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = full
maxAmount = 45%
}
TANK
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = full
maxAmount = 55%
}
TANK
{
name = MonoPropellant
mass = 0.000625
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
TANK
{
name = XenonGas
mass = 0.000625
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
utilization = 56.0
note = (pressurized)
}
TANK
{
name = Argon
mass = 0.000825
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Ammonia
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdWater
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = LqdMethane
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = RocketParts
utilization = 0.17391
mass = 0.0025
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (EL)
}
TANK
{
name = Metal
fillable = false
utilization = 0.17391
mass = 0.039
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (EL)
}
TANK
{
name = Ore
fillable = false
utilization = 0.17391
mass = 0.0275
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (EL)
}
TANK
{
name = Food
utilization = 0.78207
mass = 0.0003166535
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
} TANK
{
name = Water
utilization = 0.78207
mass = 0.0017977746
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
} TANK
{
name = Oxygen
utilization = 0.78207
mass = 0.0004290144
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
}
TANK
{
name = CarbonDioxide
fillable = false
utilization = 0.00010214628
mass = 0.000511
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
}
TANK
{
name = Waste
fillable = false
utilization = .0000112361
mass = 0.000056
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
}
TANK
{
name = WasteWater
fillable = false
utilization = 0.00039530614
mass = 0.001977
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (TAC-LS)
}
TANK
{
name = Lithium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Deuterium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Tritium
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Helium-3
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = UF4
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = ThF4
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Uranium Nitride
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Actinides
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Depleted Fuels
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
note = (KSPI)
}
TANK
{
name = Kethane
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
}
}

@PART[DavonStationLogisticsHub]:FINAL // Logistics Hub Update
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 7150
type = ExDavonSuperlist
}
@MODULE[DavonRestrictedResourceSupplyModule]
{
@ManagedResources = LiquidFuel, Oxidizer, MonoPropellant, XenonGas, Argon, Ammonia, LqdWater, LqdMethane, Ore, Kethane, Food, Water, Oxygen, Deuterium, Lithium, UF4, ThF4
}
}

Not all the resources are managed and some like Ore & Kethane can't be "preloaded" into cargo before launch which makes them hard to enable a station for. I use them mostly to save me the frustration of mining on Kerbin lol. The volumne I have set is just simply added up the resource values that where on your default hub. This version doesn't use the "requires" to prevent the thing from adding it if MF isn't installed but that could probably be added easily.

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

• 2 months later...
Does this work with 0.24? Costing credits for each load of fuel would be a easy way for me to burn some of my excess cash and make my life easier!

Not yet, but that's the plan. Probably over the weekend, have already written the logic for the cost calculation, just need to have the mod deduct the amount and need to establish a good price per kilo for the transportation component of the bill.

(For those who already have some more play time for .24, I would particularly interested in the what would be perceived as the price per kilo to LKO for a conventional and somewhat overpriced rocket.)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The basic function of this mod was to supply stations in orbit with fuel without the player having to fly those potentially repetitive missions themselves. A key concept was the mod requiring the player to pay a certain cost before the station would become active and could be used to request deliveries.

In practice this cost came down to first bringing the overly heavy station in orbit and subsequently by having the player make a number of large fuel deliveries before the station would activate. Although it might have all felt a little excessive, it did also make the use afterwards of this mod feel more balanced.

However with the introduction of budgets the player can now simply be asked to pay a price for supply services. Therefore in this version the logistics hub remains as heavy as ever but there are a number of changes for career mode.

Players in career mode who've omitted reading the release note will be pleasantly surprised when the station immediately activates upon hitting the supply button in orbit. They will also be surprised, although less pleasantly, when requesting their first delivery, which will deduct a whopping 100.000+ funds for a complete refill. (They might also discover there are no refunds either)

The bill is made up of two components: the cost of the resources themselves and a launch cost based on the total mass of the delivery. For Kerbin this price lies near three thousand funds per ton which although definitely on the very very high side is still in the same order of magnitude of the normal launch cost per ton for a standard rocket design.

The mod has been altered to no longer make a full delivery of all the managed resources. It instead only request a a delivery of the amount required to refill each resource in the part on the moment of making the request. This way players can regulate the amounts ordered of each resources and they will only be billed for what they use.

Edited by PrivateFlip

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.