[0.24.2] Wolf Aerospace - Perfectrons / L.E.S. Pack [11.08.2014]

PDCWolf

Welcome to Wolf Aerospace!, Here you'll find a lot of useful bits and pieces to add to your rockets. What I want the most is to both fill gaps in the stock game (Launch escape systems, radial engines, solid rockets) and remake some stuff that doesn't quite fit my idea of how they should look (Perfectrons). Everything here is, or at least I make it look, stockalike. I also try to keep all the stuff balanced in both cost and performance so that they are not out of place in career.

RELEASES

Perfectrons 2 - v0.3

trons-293x261.jpg

The perfectrons are my attempt at realistically looking separation engines. Not only do they look cool, but they also make separations look realistic. They also pack quite a punch and fire in a short burst.

New version of the perfectrons, now with 2 extra flavors.

Retrotrons: A retro-rocket based alternative, ideal for separating main columns and other vertical stuff. - Now with less thrust and longer burn time.

Lateraltrons: The legacy perfectrons, now revamped to match the new look - Smaller version now included

Perfectrons: Now firing straight, so that you only need one to separate small stuff.

Video Demonstration:

WARNING: This download is not compatible with older versions of the perfectrons/LES released prior to 02-08-2014, you need to delete everything and redownload the parts you want. If you downloaded any of the packs after 02-08-2014, then there's no problem and the installation procedure is the normal one: Extract the aWolf folder into gamedata. From now on, downloads contain version numbers to avoid this kind of stuff, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Changelog

-v0.3 [02.08.2014]

•Fixed parts spawning facing the wrong way

•Moved perfectrons to control tab

•Moved the parts to General Rocketry node in the tech tree

-v0.2

•Model overhaul

•Renamed old perfectron to lateraltron

•Added two variants: Front facing variant, called perfectron, forward/backward facing variant for vertical separation, called retrotron.

-v0.1

•Initial release

Download: http://www./download/xv7brdvgvy5i88h/Perfectrons2.rar

L.E.S. Pack - V0.3.2

A pack of multiple Launch Escape Systems for all your capsule/payload ejection needs. All of them come in 2 sizes: 1.25m and 0.625m

LESPACK-293x261.jpg

Apollo-based L.E.S., comes in 1.60m (for RSS/RO), 1.25m and 0.625m sizes.

Soyuz TMA based L.E.S. comes in 1.25m and 0.625m sizes

Planned: Mercury based L.E.S., Dragon-based L.E.S., etc.

Watch them in action:

Watch the offset thrust variant "How to build" webm:

http://a.pomf.se/bimpcb.webm

-Ignore the actual pad test part, look at the second webm for how they perform on version 0.3.2-

Watch the offset thrust variant in action on version 0.3.2:

http://a.pomf.se/usqnmr.webm

Changelog

-v0.3.2 [11.08.2014]

•Reworked mesh and UVMaps for Apollo based LES.

•New textures for Apollo based LES.

•New visual effects

•Temporarily removed smoke particles, they will come back once squad fixes the EFFECT{} node

•Offset Thrust LES now performs way better (make sure you check the included webm links)

-v0.3 / v0.3.1

•Private versions, testing of new systems.

-v0.2 [02.08.2014]

•Moved 1.25 and 1.60m variants to specialized control node. You unlock them at the same time you unlock the Mk1-2 pod. Small variants stay in survivality.

-v0.1

•Initial release

Download: http://www./download/5l944rcrwx7vkcm/LESPack-v0.3.2.rar (Includes the 1.60m standard and a 1.60m version for RSS+FAR+Offset CG combo). Not compatible with versions released prior to 02/08/2014, read the warning

Please read:

The LES do include decouplers so you don't need to add your own. Follow the instrucions below (they are short, I promise) for optimal usage:

THE STAGING EVENT ACTIVATES BOTH THE ENGINES AND THE DECOUPLER

-For normal flight operation (No emergencies, just the normal LES separation when nearing orbit)

--Just use the staging event.

-For Emergencies

--Set the "Toggle engine" option to your abort action group (or whatever action group you want to use)

--Set the "Decouple" option to any other action group OR use the staging event. Given the fuel is depleted, the staging event will just separate the tower.

You can decouple the tower by using the docking port's "decouple node" option, but the tower won't go away, as docking ports have near 0 decoupling force.

License information:

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

This means:

•You can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

•You can remix, transform, and build upon the material

As long as you:

•Give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

•DON'T use the material for commercial purposes.

•Distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

Edited by PDCWolf

The Perfectrons have become a staple of my lift systems. A pair of those fired as brakes can get stages clear at separation, preventing pesky collisions as upper stage engines send lower stages spinning.

Thank you guys for the support. I added video demonstrations for the Apollo LES (the only one that is already finished).

Nice. Do the tower separation motors actually work?

Not -yet-. The point is I want to keep my parts plugin-free and the way the game handles modules by default is very limiting on some aspects, I'm trying to make them work and to be able to separate the LES without needing a stack separator.

Very nice PDCWolf, Could you please make a Perfectron variant that fires straight out? Kinda like this:

I had something close to that in my head, also some vertical separation motors.

Would you consider making a multi-part LES? That'd be the easiest way of doing that. Make the "main" LES part with separation boosters act as a decoupler, then attach the escape boosters to it. This way, in nominal flight, the escape boosters won't trigger, but the main part will decouple properly if staged. Also, it'd be really nice if you made a version of Soyuz LES that'd fit BobCat's Soyuz.

Would you consider making a multi-part LES? That'd be the easiest way of doing that. Make the "main" LES part with separation boosters act as a decoupler, then attach the escape boosters to it. This way, in nominal flight, the escape boosters won't trigger, but the main part will decouple properly if staged. Also, it'd be really nice if you made a version of Soyuz LES that'd fit BobCat's Soyuz.

If it turns out to be impossible to do it in one part, I'll consider doing them in 2 or 3.

A request: could you add a fuel dump part, preferably one that works with the Modular Fuel Tanks mod to be able to dump different fuels?

Currently I'm using a modded copy of the ant engine (very low ISP, very low thrust), but it would be nice to have a proper part.

Also, looks great!

Not really a request, keep doing you're thing, seems like you are on the path to KSP mod success, but i've been searching far and wide for an escape tower without a nose cone. I have NO IDEA how this could work, but it would be awesome if i could take a capsule, stick a docking port on it, but still put an LES on it with the 4 tower separation bolts on the lattice being the connection point. Anybody have thoughts on this?

edit: or possibly a nose cone that would go over the stock docking ports

Not really a request, keep doing you're thing, seems like you are on the path to KSP mod success, but i've been searching far and wide for an escape tower without a nose cone. I have NO IDEA how this could work, but it would be awesome if i could take a capsule, stick a docking port on it, but still put an LES on it with the 4 tower separation bolts on the lattice being the connection point. Anybody have thoughts on this?

If I'm not wrong, all it'll take is a radial attachment instead of a stack one, and obviously placed on the correct position. After I'm finished with the "standard" ones I'll try everything you guys suggested.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDecouple

ejectionForce = 250

explosiveNodeID = top

}

this will give any part decoupler functionality. It's just a straight yank from the stock decoupler code. I slapped this baby inside the cfg for a new set of docking ports i made for myself (Explode-O-Trons!) and they work fine, while still working as docking ports. I think. Haven't actually tried to re-dock with them yet. You'll wanna tweak the values to whatever node you need and how much force etc. Hope that helps.

edit: oops, didnt notice page 2. you could make like a small fairing that would hide the docking port, then when you jettison the escape tower the fairing would jettison too. or, alternatively, use an in-line docking port.

Edited by loppnessmonsta

You could do this with attachment node trickery. The stock docking ports have an attachment node above them - if you make the escape tower have a recessed attachment node, it would fit over the docking port just fine.

I'm more interested in a escape tower that allows for a parachute.

And, for that matter, a parachute that allows other things to be attached above it. If it had an integrated stack decoupler it could kill two birds with one stone.

Hey Wolf, loving the logo.

Been using your Perfectrons since you first released them, looking forward to whatever other small stage-assist engines you come up with.

Thank you. Wasted many hours in photoshop for that logo, too bad it's going to be replaced.

As a small update, my samsung HDD crashed, killing my main rig which I use for KSP and obviously modeling (and pretty much anything that requires power) I managed to recover the data, but I cannot use it since I cannot test the parts. The models are mostly done though.

Yikes man :( Sorry about the drive...

Just my two cents when I say: I think the Apollo based LES should be a little taller, I always find short stubby escape towers take away from the gracefulness that is a well built rocket :)

Cheers man

• 3 weeks later...

I have good news:

Not only did I receive my brand new 1TB WD Caviar Black but I also managed to recover 995 non damaged GB from my old drive, so, I'm already working with some stuff and I also discovered how to make the LES act as a escape tower and a decoupler.

I've also figured out how to make the vertical and lateral d̶e̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶r̶s̶ perfectrons without them looking bad

AND I have a surprise in mind, but it's big and it'll take some time.

Edited by PDCWolf
I accidentaly part naming

I have good news:

Not only did I receive my brand new 1TB WD Caviar Black but I also managed to recover 995 non damaged GB from my old drive, so, I'm already working with some stuff and I also discovered how to make the LES act as a escape tower and a decoupler.

Awesome news! I look forward to seeing the updates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.