[0.24.2] Wolf Aerospace - Perfectrons / L.E.S. Pack [11.08.2014]

PDCWolf

But fixing that problem would introduce problems for all of us who don't use DRE and FAR. Maybe it should be a seperate download?

I was not planing on including said fix on the pack, it was going to be like an exclusive thing for him and whoever does the same thing.

Or you can angle one the engines on bottom slightly to left or right, this will cause the turn and flip. I think this would work better.

This is what I said. As it is the only way to solve the problem without making the LES a multi-part one or using plugins.

By the way, I prefer the player to be the one controlling the turns, since you can decide which way you want to eject. Maybe I make them eject to the left and somebody comes with a mod that adds launch tower and the guy ends up smashing his crew against the launch tower because my LES ejected to that side.

I can't make a single model for every user or every playstyle. I try to keep a balance between wide application and freedom of use. The BPC and the integrated decoupler are parts that are useful to almost everyone, playstile aside, and that's why they are going into the main version. The off-center thrust is going to be like a little gift. On the other hand, making the tower turn to a single side will cause problems to both new players (Decreased user-friendlyness) and players that use other stuff (like the example I wrote above with the launch tower).

Edited by PDCWolf

I was not planing on including said fix on the pack, it was going to be like an exclusive thing for him and whoever does the same thing.

This is what I said. As it is the only way to solve the problem without making the LES a multi-part one or using plugins.

By the way, I prefer the player to be the one controlling the turns, since you can decide which way you want to eject. Maybe I make them eject to the left and somebody comes with a mod that adds launch tower and the guy ends up smashing his crew against the launch tower because my LES ejected to that side.

I can't make a single model for every user or every playstyle. I try to keep a balance between wide application and freedom of use. The BPC and the integrated decoupler are parts that are useful to almost everyone, playstile aside, and that's why they are going into the main version. The off-center thrust is going to be like a little gift. On the other hand, making the tower turn to a single side will cause problems to both new players (Decreased user-friendlyness) and players that use other stuff (like the example I wrote above with the launch tower).

There has to be a way to make the launch tower not flip around uncontrollably for both evenly weighted and unevenly weighted capsules..

what if you added gimbaling to the launch escape rockets?

There has to be a way to make the launch tower not flip around uncontrollably for both evenly weighted and unevenly weighted capsules..

I don't know, but feel that complicating things further is not a good solution.

Adding gimbaling would mean more turn capacity. It could solve Zander's problem, indeed, but would work awfully and cause risk of flipping on pods with torque enabled. I'm saying "Could" because I don't really know how much vectoring would be required to stop Zander's flipping problem.

Maybe if you could post a video,gif or something, then I can have a better undestanding of your problem.

The idea was to imitate real life sounding rockets. High speed to high altitudes, a lot of Gs and very specific purpose.

I'm looking forward to this as I've not found any which both look and work like I think they should yet.

Adding gimbaling would mean more turn capacity. It could solve Zander's problem, indeed, but would work awfully and cause risk of flipping on pods with torque enabled. I'm saying "Could" because I don't really know how much vectoring would be required to stop Zander's flipping problem.

Maybe if you could post a video,gif or something, then I can have a better undestanding of your problem.

Even a small amount of weight will cause it. try putting a single radial parachute and battery on one side of the command module and you will see it.

What's the acceleration on the LES?

Edit: I just looked up what I'd modified my NovaPunch LES to, it has the same thrust as yours, but is heavier and burns longer. Almost like we based the stats on the same thing.

Edited by Thorbane

A question. Much as I love the BPC etc., any chance you could make an Apollo-style tower for Big Gemini? Only the slightest nose cone.

bigaltcf.jpg

I didn't really understood your request or the schematics, but if you are willing to explain a bit more (or have more understandable schematics at hand) then sure, I can do that.

Beautiful. I hope your BPC will work with the SDHI Service Module System. I guess the BPC attaches to the top node of the docking port?

I'm actually doing it so that the entire thing fits one of the SDHI Clamp-O-Tron+chute.

also, the BPC will work kind of as a fairing, separating in 2.

What's the acceleration on the LES?

Edit: I just looked up what I'd modified my NovaPunch LES to, it has the same thrust as yours, but is heavier and burns longer. Almost like we based the stats on the same thing.

I started with the KSPX escape tower and tweaked it from there. I wanted something stronger than the KSPX one and began working with that in mind. The pictures died but the original version of the Apollo tower wasn't taller than the KSPX one.

I didn't really understood your request or the schematics, but if you are willing to explain a bit more (or have more understandable schematics at hand) then sure, I can do that.

Ah, sorry. :]

The Apollo LES you modeled has built into it the "BPC Apex nosecone", i.e. a small nosecone that is part of the tower. Basically, I'm asking you to make it much smaller and flatter (cut white nosecone at red horizontal line) Also, to extend the struts further down, approx to where the red arrows show (or farther), and remove the mounting blocks so it's just that same girder continuing down and stopping.

Those should allow mounting the LES atop Big Gemini, per the specs (Big G used a modified Apollo LES).

IqzZd2J.png

If you're really generous, you could test it ingame atop Frizzank's Gemini pod using this rescale (which makes Gemini life-size): https://www.dropbox.com/s/89h5824hby2xsei/FASA.cfg

Ah, sorry. :]

The Apollo LES you modeled has built into it the "BPC Apex nosecone", i.e. a small nosecone that is part of the tower. Basically, I'm asking you to make it much smaller and flatter (cut white nosecone at red horizontal line) Also, to extend the struts further down, approx to where the red arrows show (or farther), and remove the mounting blocks so it's just that same girder continuing down and stopping.

Those should allow mounting the LES atop Big Gemini, per the specs (Big G used a modified Apollo LES).

IqzZd2J.png

If you're really generous, you could test it ingame atop Frizzank's Gemini pod using this rescale (which makes Gemini life-size): https://www.dropbox.com/s/89h5824hby2xsei/FASA.cfg

Great, now that I understand I'll start working on it ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really sorry everyone, my rig died 27/12/13 (What a christmas present) and its still on hold. For now I'm stuck on my notebook and it barely runs KSP. As soon as I get my rig back (might end up fixing it myself), I will continue with the parts.

As I said, I'm really sorry for this, but it escapes my control.

Really sorry everyone, my rig died 27/12/13 (What a christmas present) and its still on hold. For now I'm stuck on my notebook and it barely runs KSP. As soon as I get my rig back (might end up fixing it myself), I will continue with the parts.

As I said, I'm really sorry for this, but it escapes my control.

I second what wasmic said you delivered us nice parts which of course still work :D you don't need to be sorry.

Given that the command pods in RealismOverhaul have an offset center of mass, how to deal with it when triggering the LES, without having the pod doing pirouettes? I have tried to add a gimbal module to these parts but the gimbal wouldn't work.

SFJackBauer: well, it's actually no bad thing, since the point of an LES is "up and away" not just up. Hence the pitch motor in the nose of the Apollo LES. In fact there was discussion earlier in this thread about offsetting the thrust transform to ensure turning on abort.

But, as for adding gimbals: you gave it the same transform that the ModuleEngines uses?

PDCWolf: best of luck getting your new rig up and running, and no hurry. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.