[0.24.2] Wolf Aerospace - Perfectrons / L.E.S. Pack [11.08.2014]

PDCWolf

SFJackBauer: well, it's actually no bad thing, since the point of an LES is "up and away" not just up. Hence the pitch motor in the nose of the Apollo LES. In fact there was discussion earlier in this thread about offsetting the thrust transform to ensure turning on abort.

But, as for adding gimbals: you gave it the same transform that the ModuleEngines uses?

It is a bad thing when the thing almost stop in the air spinning. I tried to mimic the pitch motor by adding small solid rockets in various places, but its a no-go. Yes, same transform.

Whats wrong with your rig power supply or motherboard

Not sure, I know the problem is on one those by seeing how the computer fails. Problem is power supply was still under warranty so I had to take my pc to a local technician (which I don't trust) because the problem could be a faulty power supply. Somehow it's taking him more than a month to say "Hey, the problem is not the power supply"

Given that the command pods in RealismOverhaul have an offset center of mass, how to deal with it when triggering the LES, without having the pod doing pirouettes? I have tried to add a gimbal module to these parts but the gimbal wouldn't work.

Is there a way to use those pods without having to download the entire mod? I -think- I have a solution.

It is a bad thing when the thing almost stop in the air spinning. I tried to mimic the pitch motor by adding small solid rockets in various places, but its a no-go. Yes, same transform.

Gimbals would never work since the engines are above the CoM and KSP has no idea how vectoring should work when that happens.

• 1 month later...

For those of you using RO and pods with offset CoM: Is this OK enough?

l8RtcW9.gif

As you can see it starts straight and about a second before flameout it starts turning towards the weighted side. When pitch reaches 0º, flameout occurs. In short, it pushes you out and then to the side a bit (Because fuel drains out, so CG shifts towards its original position).

First off, that's a brilliant pad abort test. :D

Second, are these compatible with 0.23 as is, or do I need to make a few .cfg tweaks? (if I need to do tweaks, I can do it myself. :))

Thank you, it took like 15 tests to get to that point, all other tests ended up spinning mid air or the escape tower ripping itself off the pod. The downloads are all compatible with 0.23, even if it says "0.22" on the spaceport title (I should get that updated soon).

That's bloody amazing. Excellent work!

(In case you didn't know that's EXACTLY how it works in real life: pitch motor makes it tip, and at burnout the canard opens to flip the pod bottom-side-into-airstream).

Well, that's it then, I'll upload the offset variant soon. Keep in mind that adding something very heavy or very tall between the capsule and the tower will have an effect on how the tower behaves, you can go from what you saw in the gif to back where the problem started in a few hundreds of kilos or a couple of meters. This is because, to solve the issue, I angled 2 of the thrusters by 3.5 degrees so that the thrust goes through the CoM (Pretty much what the shuttle did with its SSMEs for those that don't understand) which means either making a space between the tower and the capsule or adding a lot of weight between them is going to throw off the CoM and make the tower go crazy. Remember you do not need decouplers for the tower either, so that's one less problem. Adding a stack parachute clipped inside the pod will work, and I believe adding a rescaled (to fit R.O.) docking port/chute from sumghai's mod will also work.

BTW, I'm working on the "Big Gemini" escape tower you requested. I may open a thread on the addon development section so that I can post clay renders without being looked at suspiciously.

Edited by PDCWolf

Wolf, ever planned the Mercury Redstone LES? or an Orion's? There's not one vessel without your mod in my game :) Keep it up

Both are planned and coming. I also plan to make the Tycho Deep Space LES and a few other designs I saw around.

The weighted test looks absolutely perfect.

I am also looking forward to your BPCs! Have you considered putting multiple attachment nodes under the BPC? This way the BPC can sit in the right place regardless of if you have nothing, a docking port, or an inline parachute + docking port sitting on top of the capsule.

If you would like a version of the weight offset for the stock kerbal size:

@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:Final
{
CoMOffset = 0, 0, -0.12
}

(It should be identical to the Realism Overhaul offset but with the 1.6 rescale removed from the offset.)

Edited by lasmori

PDCWolf: Excellent! And thanks so much on the Big G tower: you can see how needed it is...

http://i.imgur.com/BODi7Upl.png

(Note this is a NP2 tower, not one of your excellent ones yet, and it's not a Gemini either, it's the Argo from Reaching from the Stars)

Oh wow, that looks... well, I don't really have a word for it. Anyways, I got my hands on the Gemini with its nosecone from FASA (Decompiled them for reference) so yeah, expect some progress.

The weighted test looks absolutely perfect.

I am also looking forward to your BPCs! Have you considered putting multiple attachment nodes under the BPC? This way the BPC can sit in the right place regardless of if you have nothing, a docking port, or an inline parachute + docking port sitting on top of the capsule.

About the BPC thing, I made contact with sumghai some time ago, wanted to "combine" his aeroshell and docking port/chute so that I could redistribute them separately (and plugin-free) while crediting him and liking to the rest of his awesome work, but for some reason he never answered (or maybe I'm expecting an answer that isn't supposed to be there). I'll give the matter some more time, if nothing happens then I'm making my own.

The separtrons are fantastic. Grabbed them last night, tested this morning. Much better looking than KWs or stock. My slight problem with them is when I attach them, the default position is rotated into the tank. I'll upload a pic if it's not clear, but I have to rotate it 180 degrees to get it on the outside. It's something to do with the attach nodes in the cfg, but I'm not sure which one or what to change it to. Could you help?

Loving the work, btw!

• 3 weeks later...

i used them first on the new Big Boosters in the ARM pack, and they get lost in the texture it's a bit annoying. Also they require a lot of turning around, seems the surface of attachment isn't the right one...

Is there a way you could make a "blow off" cover over the nozzles on the perfectron separation boosters? (A cover with a red spot over each booster nozzle with text that says "Warning: LOADED") They are nice as they are, but that would make them even better.

Edited by Ruedii
details

• 3 weeks later...

The separatrons are awesome. I love that they're very low profile (since real ones would be seamlessly integrated into the body of the rocket itself rather than sticking out like a huge sore thumb.) I actually copied and modified a lateraltron to use liquid fuel, so if I plan on dumping a stage that still has some fuel left in it, I'll place a few facing up, and it will burn it off and deorbit the stage for me.

The separtrons are fantastic. Grabbed them last night, tested this morning. Much better looking than KWs or stock. My slight problem with them is when I attach them, the default position is rotated into the tank. I'll upload a pic if it's not clear, but I have to rotate it 180 degrees to get it on the outside. It's something to do with the attach nodes in the cfg, but I'm not sure which one or what to change it to. Could you help?

Loving the work, btw!

Same here. Probably just need a tweak in the config.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone happen to have this that could upload to Curse, or even just share it on Dropbox?

Only if the mod came with a license that allows redistribution. The opening post doesn't include a license unfortunately, so it's hard to tell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.