Test flight mod

Jarin

Two mod requests. First, is there a mod that lets me load sub-assemblies when building rockets? I'd like to build my rover, test it separately, then load it onto my pre-built lifter. Secondly, and possibly a bit un-kerbal... is there a test-flight mod? I mean, pick a starting location and drop there to test without the problem of getting there. Three times now I've gotten a remote base unit to Minmus, only to realize after getting there that I forgot something critical, or built the lander wrong.

1st flight: landing gear installed upside-down (hey, I didn't know it flipped when it extended)

2nd flight: What do you mean, "manned missions still need battery power"? *base core dead in orbit, solar panels still collapsed*

3rd flight: Solar Recharger Drone, rendezvous with base core, recharge batteries, successful landing... "The drills extend SIDEWAYS, not vertically? Bloody hell. Oh, and our ladder is attached to block the cuplola module airlock, so Jeb can't even plant a flag. Someone go find Wernher Von Kerman and load him into the Duna Impactor..."

Yeah... I'd *really* like to be able to test these things in minmus-like gravity first, instead of taking an hour or two to get to the landing zone, then test. Any mods out there that could help?

Ok, all of these mods exist.

Subassemleys? Subassembly loader mod! You basically described the mod.

Also, use F5 to quicksave at important parts (stock game), and if you screw up, hold F9 to load that quicksave, BAM you are back there

If you want to go to other planets to test stuff, use HyperEdit. Works in 0.20.2.

Also, action groups can be toggled w/o electricity, so that's helpful.

Also, action groups can be toggled w/o electricity, so that's helpful.
Really? Nifty! I'll have to remember to try that. Assigning action groups was just one more thing I forgot to do before launching. And yeah, EVA activation might have worked but... see: ladder blocking hatch.

I figured mods like those probably existed somewhere. Thanks! Off to properly build my first mining outpost...

Edit: One more question... anything that'll let me transfer kerbals from one location to another on a ship without EVA? Like supposedly moving through docking ports?

Edit: One more question... anything that'll let me transfer kerbals from one location to another on a ship without EVA? Like supposedly moving through docking ports?

The Crew Manifest mods lets you do this. And it saves on embarrassing "Major Tom" moments if a routine EVA goes awry. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.