The KSP-TV discussion thread!

KasperVld

For all things KSP-TV!

How do you feel about the streams, what can be improved and what do you like already? This is where to discuss it.

Schedule (Timezone: GMT+0)

Edited by KasperVld

MaxMaps assured us that official streams, ie. streams done by squad employees, would be conducted as purely stock to give a correct impression of the actual game. Obviously mods actively being showcased are exempt from this rule, but Skunky spent most of the stream with mechjeb windows covering half the screen. Additionally, Skunky frequently talked over top of the showcased modder making it impossible to hear what was being said. Any future mod showcases should be conducted by the modder, skunky co-casting did nothing but detract from the point of the show. If a squad member absolutely HAS to be present, at the very least they should follow the already established all stock rules.

-snip- Skunky's attitude towards the game and towards Majiir brought down the quality of the stream a whole lot, along with his refusal to honour his instructions to NOT use MechJeb during streams.

Edited by KasperVld

We were under the impression that streams done by members of Squad would be core-only, why was this changed?

This, we were told that Squad employees would have to be stock only. Perhaps exceptions for when showcasing a mod, but what Skunky did was awful - He put mechjeb on his craft, told everyone to "suck it" and effectively challenged them to come at him, and then he got the mods to ban anyone who mentioned the word mechjeb. He kept starting stuff about mechjeb during the stream too, often interrupting Majiir to do so (Another problem - He hardly ever let Majiir get a word in because he would constantly talk over him). The ksptv launch was almost a complete disaster - Luckily the two guys that streamed after Skunky saved it. Schmoog and Yargnit had some really good quality streams. I didn't stick around for much of PD's stream, but he looked like it was decent too. That's the sort of content I'd love to tune in to see on ksptv

In my opinion, Skunky has shown time and time again that he is incapable of streaming to any large audience, every time he does there's always a storm. I would much prefer it if it was only community members who streamed on ksptv unless it's a dev stream showing off a new update (Something I'd also like to see return - The 0.18 dev streams were really good, but we haven't seen them since). I think Skunky has some good intentions but he just doesn't know how to express himself properly, he acted in a really unprofessional way yesterday and the viewers count reflected that.

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Thanks for making the thread, too bad it took hundreds of timeouts in the stream and 2 closed threads beforehand.

No thanks for deleting one of the messages giving an opinion.

Now, I didn't really like skunky's participation in the stream. His interview capacities are pretty questionable and I'm not even going to talk (because it was already mentioned) of his mechjeb usage. I mean, at least he can fake liking the game, which he doesn't even do or try.

After that, the stream quality went way up with schmoog and the next streamer which I don't remember his name (sorry man).

To finish, I'm really sorry for Majiir, as his mod-showcase stream got pretty much eclipsed by skunky's participation, swearing and constant unprofessional and even infant-like behaviour. The mod was looking great and we barely got to see what new features it had, so, good work for you Majiir, even if you couldn't show it enough or to your hearts content (I really think it would have been a million times better if you alone commanded the stream).

Edited by PDCWolf

I have to say that Schmoog's and Yargnit's segments were pretty good, full of entertaining content. I really appreciated Schmoog's attempts to explain where he went wrong whenever he messed up, and I think others appreciated the lessons learned.

The Kethane showcase was just a complete wash, I'm sorry to say. I couldn't see the Kethane bits with all the Mechjeb windows in the way, and any meaningful views of the new scanning interface were very sparse, before the concept of actually being in space was abandoned altogether. I felt really bad for Majiir, as you could actually hear his disappointment and frustration increase as the stream went on. I swear that half of it was just building half-working rovers with old parts, a quarter of the stream was obscured by Mechjeb, and the remaining quarter was filled with drama interrupted by having to cheat kethane onto the runway to actually showcase anything.

It could have been handled a lot better, and I think it did a disservice both to Majiir's fine work and the concept of KSPTV itself.

I'm going to have to concur with the points previously made.

Skunky was clearly not up to the task of presenting the game or even the Kethane mod. The mechjeb usage, while not wrong in and of itself, was not representative of the experience of the core game. Also, to be perfectly honest, it was slightly cringeworthy watching him bungle the simplest of launches.

On the other hand, Schmoog's stream was fairly good. I wasn't around for the other one.

I really liked Schmoog's and Yargnit's streams, they were fantastic. New users could learn quite a few things from those streams as they not only explained how they changed things in the game, but also how they are used in real life. I really hope they stream more.

I really liked Schmoog's and Yargnit's streams, they were fantastic. New users could learn quite a few things from those streams as they not only explained how they changed things in the game, but also how they are used in real life. I really hope they stream more.
Indeed. Majir's part of the Skunky stream, Schmoog and Yargnit's streams were very good, and I hope all three of them return in future streams. I'm just sad that Majir's attempt at showcasing his mod was hurt by Skunky's antics, but Majir really did a great job despite the difficult circumstances.

Shouldn't ksptv be running currently? I'm looking at the schedule and Chickenkeeper is supposed to be on. Earlier today Dahud was scheduled too, but there was no stream. I understand, of course, that something might have come up, but there was no announcement so i'm just wondering what's going on...

I can only echo the opinions already expressed so far. The first segment of the stream, the grand opening of the entire KSPTV project, had an utterly unprofessional host who talked over his guest and did a poor job of showcasing the Kethane mod. I feel sorry for Majiir for having to put up with that.

Schmoo and Yargnit salvaged it though. Schmoo with his utterly excellent launch and Mun landing tutorials, along with his more crazy craft designs, and Yargnit with his extremely professional manner and skill at playing the game. Together they showcased KSP extremely well.

I didn't watch PD's stream as it was getting very late.

It is a shame the viewer count dropped so much after the launch, but recent Captain Skunky streams have never commanded a large audience anyway, and the sheer length of the stream in its entirety probably didn't help. Perhaps over time and with high quality streams and good advertising the viewercount can surpass the old dev streams in popularity.

Edited by hoojiwana

Shouldn't ksptv be running currently? I'm looking at the schedule and Chickenkeeper is supposed to be on. Earlier today Dahud was scheduled too, but there was no stream. I understand, of course, that something might have come up, but there was no announcement so i'm just wondering what's going on...

I'll look into what's going on. About Skunky's stream: I think this point has been covered sufficiently now :)

I'll look into what's going on. About Skunky's stream: I think this point has been covered sufficiently now :)
Could we get some information about whether any action has been or will be taken as a result of our "coverage" of Skunky's stream?

Could we get some information about whether any action has been or will be taken as a result of our "coverage" of Skunky's stream?

If there is any such information to be released I'm not the person to do so.

I think we can blame Twitch: http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/site-outage-passwords-and-stream-keys-reset/

Does that mean skunky won't be doing another stream, or are you just done indulging us?

What I mean is that I think certain opinions on Skunky's stream have been expressed clearly and that just repeating them won't add to a discussion.

If there is any such information to be released I'm not the person to do so.
Then would you mind fetching someone who actually would release any such information? Right now, this "discussion thread" is just us talking at you guys, and you guys "moderating" us. Discussion means that both sides need to actively post, and that just isn't happening right now.

Thanks Kasper for looking into it. Since KSPTV has officially launched, i would suggest (although i'm sure it's already considered) the creation of a dedicated forum/subforum where we can discuss the streams, and the streamers could perhaps answer any important questions that were raised but not covered during the stream. It would also act as a hub for all KSPTV info, such as announcements + the schedule. This is hardly an intuitive forum to have this discussion.

EDIT:

I am aware of the situation over at twitch. Is there any official word on when the schedule will resume normally though?

Edited by SZDarkhack

What I mean is that I think certain opinions on Skunky's stream have been expressed clearly and that just repeating them won't add to a discussion.

But it -should- add on the weight they give to the community at the time of making a decision. I mean, the majority of the community agree on something, the rest is just logical.

Then would you mind fetching someone who actually would release any such information? Right now, this "discussion thread" is just us talking at you guys, and you guys "moderating" us. Discussion means that both sides need to actively post, and that just isn't happening right now.

Discussions can also take place between users. I'll ask if a statement will be made but I don't expect so, because really it's a small issue that can be handled internally.

But it -should- add on the weight they give to the community at the time of making a decision. I mean, the majority of the community agree on something, the rest is just logical.

A few people posting (and lets face it, those people have similar backgrounds) does not give a fair image of what the majority of the community agrees on.

i would suggest (although i'm sure it's already considered) the creation of a dedicated forum/subforum where we can discuss the streams, and the streamers could perhaps answer any important questions that were raised but not covered during the stream. It would also act as a hub for all KSPTV info, such as announcements + the schedule. This is hardly an intuitive forum to have this discussion.

We discussed such a forum but it was thought that KSP-TV is too narrow a topic to warrant its own forum. I'll see if I can add information such as the schedule to this thread though :)

Edited by KasperVld

Discussions can also take place between users. I'll ask if a statement will be made but I don't expect so, because really it's a small issue that can be handled internally.
A small issue? I'm sorry, but have you been reading the previous two pages? Practically every post brings up the same point, it's far from a "small issue", and we, the community, would definitely like some information on it.
Shouldn't this thread be in general discussion?
It should, but then people would be able to find it.

Shouldn't this thread be in general discussion?

I think this thread is fine where it is. This forum was created specifically for discussing videos and streams.

A small issue? I'm sorry, but have you been reading the previous two pages? Practically every post brings up the same point, it's far from a "small issue", and we, the community, would definitely like some information on it.

See my reply to PDCWolf and like I said: if there is any such information to be released I'm not the person to do so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.