I'm working on a kerbal RTS

Holo

The only problem I see with this is that Squad might get mad for making a new game using their stuff.

If Squad gets mad, it's their problem :P. In all seriousness, if anything happens I'll just use the engine to make a similar game without any of Squad's worlds.

Agreed. Even if this is a simple fan work, this is somthing to note.

As for craft, I offer this:

Starfighter

bnfc3jK.png

And this:

Ground Shuttle.

NIpGrc5.png

Not 100% stock, but stock parts are the main components.

Those are just the kind of thing I need :D. Can I have the .craft files?

How are you making this? Like, what programming language, what engine, etc.?

I'm using the Game Maker Studio engine with GML. Only one I'm smart enough to use :D

If Squad gets mad, it's their problem.

Remember, this solar system is the creation of Squad, and they have the rights to it.

So make sure you point that out before publishing anything, like, links and material promoting the game, etc.

Make sure they won't need to stop you.

With the craft files, I could send them, but there are a set of mods that are required to load them.

Nova punch,

Aircraft carrier (at least the strut from this)

dummy weights,

mechjeb,

ironcross life support,

hybrid ions,

Lack luster labs,

KAS,

Thor probe,

Hubba's Zoom camera,

protractor,

mapsat,

KSPX,

engineer redux,

sunbeam laser,

And possibly a few I haven't thought of. I can probably strip them down a bit, what mods have you got?

Or, I can get some shots of front, side and top in the SPH, if that works better.

Edited by Tw1

With the craft files, I could send them, but there are a set of mods that are required to load them.

[list snip]

And possibly a few I haven't thought of. I can probably strip them down a bit, what mods have you got?

Or, I can get some shots of front, side and top in the SPH, if that works better.

I don't have any mods at all. STOCK MASTER RACE FTW :P

I need an isometric-ish angle for the crafts, so if you could take one it would be brilliant :D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh crap, people remember about this! I did pretty much give up on it, but development will probably restart today.

I'm not allowed to use the names and sprites of the Kerbal planets (grumble grumble copyright grumble grumble moving to Sealand), but the solar system is based off the Kerbal one.

For example, here's totally-not-Kerbin next to totally-not-the-Mun and totally-not-Minmus:

HsSN3bJ.png

EDIT: And that concept art looks glorious. What do you envision the different buttons doing?

EDIT2: I have some pretty cool ideas for this game that would necessitate basically a full rewrite. They basically involve an earlier starting TL and different factions on totally-not-Kerbin, as well as more fine planet management.

EDIT3: Disregard edit 2. The original was a better idea. Also I fixed some mouseover bug with the Sun, so that should work better now.

EDIT4: The game will now detect double clicks. This is an important step towards having a build menu show up for planets.

Edited by Holo

Give me a moment there is a few levels to it.

EDIT:Ill actually just describe them.

Fleet view

For watching action unfold in ''detail''.

Top leftUnit commands.Tell each craft to do a specific thing.

Top middleKH3 levels.KH3 is the only resource in the game and is gained through controlling the deposits scattered around the system.

Top rightTime.Time will be measured much like kerbal itself,although this won't work for PvP.

Middle leftChange view.Top is interplanetary,middle is fleet,bottom is surface.(There should be a forth involving red and green dots orbiting a planet)

Bottom leftLogs.Details the completion and destruction of craft and other things.

Bottom rightLeaderboard.Place is derived by the number of KH3(which due to what you said above can't be used)deposits.Hovering over an avatar will show their username.

Interplanetary viewDefinitely not taken from here

Top leftFleet select.Select groups of ships to send to other planets.Some may be out of reach depending on the ships.

Double click on a planet with fleet selected to send.Double click without to zoom.

Orbital view

Top leftConstructible units.Each level of the game requires a specific unit to progress.From surface to fleet it's the launchpad,fleet to orbital it's a fuel depot,orbital to interplanetary is a drydock.

All the same as fleet.

surface view

The same as any RTS.

Ships

Red bar health.Health is really just self explanatory.

Green bar fuel.Fuel is what allows craft to travel between planets,and to a lesser extent,around planets.

Hearts armor.Armor negates damage by 10% for every heart/tier up to 40%

The ship on the right is an example of a super unit destroying an entire fleet.Super units are very expensive but are unique to each faction in regards to performance.

Edited by Spartwo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.