United Launch Alliance

BlazingAngel665

RK2GQBc.png

"United Launch Alliance (ULA) is a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Boeing. ULA was formed in December 2006 by combining the teams at these companies which provide spacecraft launch services to the government of the United States. U.S. government launch customers include both the Department of Defense and NASA, as well as other organizations."

In much the same fashion as ULA Chimer4 and I teamed up when we learned about each other's work. This partnership resulted in the following two fine* pieces of work.

*does not actually mean anything

The current release is a test version containing

• Atlas V by Chimer4
  • Delta IV by BlazingAngel
  • Delta II by Clueless

Edited by BlazingAngel665

Any info? Are these parts packs or pre-builds? What's payload capacity on the launch vehicles?

The Atlas V 400 and 500 series and the Delta IV Medium 5m and Heavy can be built using the parts that are in this pack

I put pre built .craft files into the pack of every variant of the Atlas V, and also .craft files for the Delta IV Medium 5m and Heavy if you want to use a particular variant. Simply stick a payload on top and you are good to go. Or you can build your own fantastical craft using any of the parts, maybe even try making the Atlas V Heavy (not sure how well it will work :D) or a Delta IV with 4 CBC strap ons

Some of the Atlas variants, namely the ones with an odd second digit, can be a bit unstable. This is because they are flown with an uneven number of boosters, i.e. 2 on one side, 1 on the other. The gimballing and ASAS do compensate for this, and the current thrust on the SRBs give a good balance.

Also as far as payloads go, ~64% of real life payload capacity is possible with the Atlas V using the correct configuration

Edited by Chimer4

Okay on the Atlas V stack I have a couple of issues (aside from the physics slowdown bug already mentioned):

With the 551 config the stack doesn't fly straight, it slews sideways because of the uneven SRB distribution. MechJeb compensates via the main engine gimbal a bit and once the SRBs are jettisoned it flies okay. I am not sure if the real stack does this, I'd imagine not!

The Atlas V CCB main stage seems to roll constantly in the upper atmosphere. It has no bearing on the course of the rocket but it is a bit odd. I tohught at first it was a payload oscillation issue but it's not, Even with a rigidly anchored/strutted payload it's still rolling. It's no biggy but it's still noticable.

On launch with or without evenly spaced SRBs, the Atlas V seems to slew away from the pad towards the crawler way / VAB for the fiorst few 100m. After that it straightens up okay probably due to MechJeb negating the issue with gimbal force.

As for the Delta IV, the whole stack explodes when you jettison the CCB stage.

(All flights used MechJeb 2.0.8 dev66 Ascent Autopilot with Corrective Steering turned off)

Edited by MDBenson

I think it's just a limitation in ksp, any unbalanced rocket is going to got a bit wonky :D I'll mess around with some different gimball values to see if that help.

As for the rotation, I'm not sure what causes it, it's almost as if the ASAS stops bothering about roll control. If you look at the sliders when it's rolling it doesn't seem to be doing anything. this could be because there are no control surfaces, I'm not entirely sure.

And the slippage is probably because none of the SRB set ups are balanced. Were you using the pre made 541 configuration? This is how the SRBs are set up in each of the variants

atlas_v_family.png

And I pointed out the exploding issue with the Delta earlier, if it's the same problem, it's a collider issue on the interstage. Also the same used to happen with the payload fairing, anything inside them would explode.

Edited by Chimer4

Dream chaser would be a bit harder as it's not a simple tube :P X-37 and dream chaser are both things I would like to see in the game. Also I'm not sure if he still is, but before the forum wipe tiberion was going to do the dream chaser for the ISS project.

Dream chaser would be a bit harder as it's not a simple tube :P X-37 and dream chaser are both things I would like to see in the game. Also I'm not sure if he still is, but before the forum wipe tiberion was going to do the dream chaser for the ISS project.

I think he won't. Tiberion, as many people, used the forum wipe as a reason to leave the project without giving any news.

here is a picture of an Atlas V 506?(havent really got the designations down) launching my Munar Probe Orbiter+ Lander towards the Mun:

lS0A4jY.png

i messed up the fairings, i know. i didint know how to place them at the time, and my staging was borked so this rocket failed after warping to Ap and trying to stay behind it.

Chimer4: increase the Ki value of the ASAS, this stack has a serious case of the spins

Edited by DarthVader

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.