United Launch Alliance

BlazingAngel665

Erm, you mean 541? The Atlas V configs are 401 for 0 SRB's, 411 for 1, 421 for 2, etc... The same applies for the 500 series, it is relative to the amount of boosters, there is no 542.

The third number is the number of Centaur engines. While no two engine Centaur has flown yet the Atlas V design does allow for them, and I believe the most recent update of the ULA pack includes a dual-engine Centaur

I launched the Atlas V 562 carrying my minmus orbiter into a polar orbit (stack was rotating really fast and Wasn't responding to controls so I couldn't get equatorial) the payload consists of the probe with its own engine, a START-48 as a minmus braking stage with a delta II second stage as a encounter finalizing stage/braking begining burn stage ontop of the DEC of the Atlas. It made it into its polar orbit SSTO btw. I didn't take pics of the launch, I'll take some more pics of it in VAB, various milestones of the launch (staging, Etc...) in orbit around Kerbin and minmus and be back in a few days.

You might want to reduce the tonnage on the Atlas V, as 150 tons before fuel is taken into consideration is a bit much for the Unity engine. If you need it to be that heavy for any reason, invent another dummy resource and add it and keep the base tonnage under 10 tons. Still though, 150 tons? BTW...did you work on Blazing Angels (I or II) projects also?

Oh I forgot to mention, a couple weeks ago I went and watched the Delta IV Heavy launch in person and took a video of it. We are pretty far away and the video was on a Flip camera so no zoom. I can post that up if you want, and I am trying to get the video my friend took on his DSLR camera too.

• 1 month later...

Haven't heard from BlazingAngel, but Chimer4 was still around some time ago. I really wish this was maintained, we need a good Atlas/Delta pack.

Right now, we could use an Atlas III. It'd be easy to make, just a new decoupler and a re-sized core stage. Also, GEM-40s for Delta IV Medium and Delta II Heavy.

Delta II parts could be the basis for a good chunk of Delta family, with just a few additional models, too.

Edited by Guest

My slight pessimistic view of these rockets:

delta II: good looking, but its hard to get its SRB's to attach to radial decups properly and the second stage is impossible to control when in space

atlas v: best looking and flying rocket in the pack, nice textures and has RCS and SAS on the second stage for in space stability.500 series has next to none payload space.

Delta IV: nice heavy rocket with a lot of payload space but it has a nasty habit of blowing itself to smithereens when staging.

Everything besides Atlas V needs patching up, and Delta II could really lend itself to expansion. The real Delta II could be configured in a really "Kerbal" way, you had your choice of engines, tanks, second and third stages, and almost every combination was not only numbered, but actually flown at some point.

The best way to rework the Delta II is to use Stretchy Tanks (part of the Stretchy SRB v6 pack now) as they come with the blue Delta II tank texture and can be made whatever length you like!

As for upper stages, you would need to add a SAS module to the config file most likely.

Does the Atlas V still have the FPS lockup on load issue it had a while ago or was that fixed at some point? Not used this pack in a long time.

The best way to rework the Delta II is to use Stretchy Tanks (part of the Stretchy SRB v6 pack now) as they come with the blue Delta II tank texture and can be made whatever length you like.

No, that's a "cheap" method and not really accurate. Also, they can't account for Delta-K upper stage, which needs to fit inside the fairing on top of the tank. So, not a viable option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.