Feram Aerospace

Olvirm

Is it just me or does Feram Aerospace make rockets really powerful? I can get a probe into orbit with a nose cone, single full length KW Rocketry 1.25m fuel tank, and the Vesta engine. Feels a little weird

I though FAR made drag more realistic and harder? Not the case here?

Depends I believe, the vanilla model has it so every part adds drag, so adding a nosecone actually makes things worse. FAR if you add that nosecone it reduces drag by a ton. I'm not sure if rockets w/o nosecones are worse in FAR than they are in vanilla. There are some other things that make it harder, if you stray too far from your prograde marker when launching a rocket you will flip out so no straight up to 45° gravity turns.

I though FAR made drag more realistic and harder? Not the case here?

More realistic, yes. It's debatable as to whether it makes things harder. Mass ratios required for orbit are pushed back to where they were circa 0.15, but you need to watch your maneuvers and structures more carefully. Also, aerodynamic stability becomes much less trivial.

The stock drag model adds up the total drag of every part, while FAR just counts the exposed parts. So using fairings and nosecones helps. It makes a lot of sense that rockets are easier to get into orbit that way, since the stock drag model makes the air as thick as pudding.

The stock drag model adds up the total drag of every part, while FAR just counts the exposed parts. So using fairings and nosecones helps. It makes a lot of sense that rockets are easier to get into orbit that way, since the stock drag model makes the air as thick as pudding.

I know it was supposed to make it easier, just made it ridiculously easy

I know it was supposed to make it easier, just made it ridiculously easy

Not really. Ferram stated that he doesn't like the way that the stock aeodynamics favor larger and shorter rockets. If you look at real life rockets, they are all tall and streamlined.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.