The Phoenix Program

Well, it seems that my KSP installation took a nosedive at somepoint last night with some new mod or another, and after uninstalling those mods didn't help, I reinstalled the game from scratch. I'm now starting a new program with less mods installed then before. I've found now that the stock parts really meet my needs in all ways but one - fairings. Therefore I installed the KW Rocketry mod to take advantage of the nice fairings in that. I've also installed crew manifest and Kerbal Alarm Clock for better flight management. So with a renewed spirit, I have christened the Phoenix Program:

Sub-program 1: The Robin Series - suborbital/orbital satellites and probes to test basic propulsion and design configurations.

First Mission: Robin I

Objective: Test basic steering and fairing design while carrying a suborbital probe which will take atmospheric readings during its descent.

LXYic5L.jpg

First launch of the Phoenix Program - Robin I heads skywards.

3j6PuIQ.jpg

The rocket continues to ascend as the motor runs out of fuel. The fairings are jettisoned shortly therafter.

6gDSqiO.png

The probe beams its readings back to the KSC as it begins its terminal descend through the atmosphere, splashing down on the opposite side of the Kerblantic from the space center.

Robin II

Objective: Place a small satellite into a low circular orbit of 75 kilometers and take readings from the probe until its batteries are drained. Also, test staging of rocket.

hCwhUeu.png

Robin II has cleared the pad.

cKIsq7D.jpg

Second stage has successfully deployed and raised apoapsis to 75 km. Awaiting orbital injection burn.

B4SlJuj.png

Unfortunately, the new ASAS module consumed more power than the engineers at the KSP initially expected. Therefore, the probe's batteries ran dry midway thru the burn, causing the spacecraft to begin to tumble until the fuel was exhausted. Now dead in space, Robin II made an ignominious reentry on the opposite side of Kerbin.

Status: Partial success - staging design proven, but electrical system needs redesign (Translation - a real battery)

Robin III

Objective: Deliver a probe to an orbit of 80 kilometers, and afterwards successfully deploy solar panels so that the probe may stay active in orbit. Also test a new fangled engine that the guys in the rocket shop are calling "solid fueled". Sounds explosive.

d6dN2tS.png

Robin III clears the pad, with the new "solid fuel" booster burning as it hurls the spacecraft skyward. The engineers were impressed; they had 2-1 odds that the damn thing was just going to explode on the pad when it was lit.

TzhOn6W.png

The third stage burns, accelerating the spacecraft so it can make its planned orbit. The fairings were jettisoned as soon as the atmosphere was cleared. This would ensure they would eventually re-enter and burn up, preventing the accumulation of space debris.

tqGgoxT.png

Once detached from its base, Robin III orientates its dome towards the surface and deploys its solar panels. The new probe includes a battery module to sustain it when on the dark side of its orbit. Robin III ushers in a new milestone in space travel - the first artificial satellite around Kerbin.

Status: Success - satellite operating as designed, solid rocket booster performed flawlessly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.