How Many Mods is Too Many??

Ventcrawler

Nope, and with the new mod folder system, I think no mods are capable of interfering with one another either. Though I guess if you have enough, the game won't be able to load them all, but i'm not sure if that many mods exist yet.

It really depends on the amount of RAM your computer has (I think?) so if you have a lower-end computer (or even a high-end one) enough mods will cause it to crash from a lack of usable memory.

If you can't even start the game, take out a few (or a bunch) and run it, removing more as you need to. Or you could upgrade your computer, but that's up to you.

Yes, the limit is your RAM, since most parts use high texture quality, KSP uses a lot of RAM for keeping those in memory.

I've been able to lower the RAM limit by lowering my texture quality in the graphics settings.

Do what Cooly suggested, and then go through all the mods and cull any parts that you really really dont use. I do so every so often to boost my performance, and so far its running great!

• 3 years later...

This thread may be dated, but I am running into this. to get past some ram limits, I am using 64 bit, but I seem to easily run into a limit somewhere. Either that, or the nearfuture series collides with Umbra(roverdude). I wishthere could be a diagnostic to run and determine what lines are where, so I know how to not cross them, instead of just blunder straight through them.

Any news on this issue?

4 hours ago, CraftyDwarf said:

This thread may be dated, but I am running into this. to get past some ram limits, I am using 64 bit, but I seem to easily run into a limit somewhere. Either that, or the nearfuture series collides with Umbra(roverdude). I wishthere could be a diagnostic to run and determine what lines are where, so I know how to not cross them, instead of just blunder straight through them.

Any news on this issue?

Well, I know people that run 150+ mods with the new 64 bit, including both of those mod series. There should be compatibility issues.

Try verifying that they do not work by getting a clean KSP install, and manually installing the mods you suspect. If it still gives issues, you'll need to give more info like log files, screenshots of your gamedata, etc.

4 hours ago, CraftyDwarf said:

Any news on this issue?

Near Future Electrical currently collides with Umbra's reactors - they both have a compatibility patch for USI's reactors.  (It historically has been in USI's mods, but it wasn't something RoverDude tested - it was just a PR he'd accepted.  It's been agreed that Near Future is going to include it going forward - but at the moment we've got the old USI (which still has it) and the new Near Future (which also has it) and they conflict.)  Delete the file in USI's reactor pack and you should be good.

I am hitting 8GB process size at times, the old memory limit is gone unless you're deliberately running 32bit. You will find with a lot of mods that you'll have horrible GC issues though and eventually I have to restart because I'll get some serious issues with the game eating craft.

tl;dr - problems now are mostly down to a mod rather than the core game.

On 25/06/2013 at 2:10 AM, Budgie said:

Do what Cooly suggested, and then go through all the mods and cull any parts that you really really dont use. I do so every so often to boost my performance, and so far its running great!

Running 188 mods ATM, just getting VAB crashes is all annouying but game out of VAB is stable.

How exactly do you 'cull' parts you don't want.

Just delete the files??

E.G. If I delete in .....\SpaceY-Lifters\Parts\Engines

(not picking on any mod in paticular, @NecroBones your mods are awesome (as are a lot of others). :wink:

SYengine1mK1
SYengine1mK1.mu
SYengine1mK1-Emissive
SYengine1mK1-Specular

That would 'cull' that part and hence improve load time / performance (assuming I do a lot of 'Culling') :D

1 hour ago, FizzerUK said:

How exactly do you 'cull' parts you don't want.

Just delete the files??

E.G. If I delete in .....\SpaceY-Lifters\Parts\Engines

(not picking on any mod in paticular, @NecroBones your mods are awesome (as are a lot of others). :wink:

SYengine1mK1
SYengine1mK1.mu
SYengine1mK1-Emissive
SYengine1mK1-Specular

That would 'cull' that part and hence improve load time / performance (assuming I do a lot of 'Culling') :D

For many part mods this works fine. Just be careful with SpaceY, since a lot of the textures are shared across folders. You might break some of the parts that you want to keep.

5 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

For many part mods this works fine. Just be careful with SpaceY, since a lot of the textures are shared across folders. You might break some of the parts that you want to keep.

Thanks @NecroBones I am pretty sure I will be keeping nearly all yours. :)

Don't suppose there is an easy way to find shared resources?

Just now, FizzerUK said:

There actually is. You upen the .mu file via Notepad and scroll down to the end of the document to see the names of the required textures, extension is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, FizzerUK said:

3 minutes ago, Enceos said:

There actually is. You upen the .mu file via Notepad and scroll down to the end of the document to see the names of the required textures, extension is irrelevant.

You'll have to check that against the CFG files too though, since re-assignments happen there. If it's across folders, it will require a reassignment in the CFG.

On 7/2/2016 at 9:49 PM, DStaal said:

Near Future Electrical currently collides with Umbra's reactors - they both have a compatibility patch for USI's reactors.  (It historically has been in USI's mods, but it wasn't something RoverDude tested - it was just a PR he'd accepted.  It's been agreed that Near Future is going to include it going forward - but at the moment we've got the old USI (which still has it) and the new Near Future (which also has it) and they conflict.)  Delete the file in USI's reactor pack and you should be good.

That looks to be it, but for me I tend to like USI parts. Especially for refueling. So I dropped near future for now, and it works.

28 minutes ago, CraftyDwarf said:

That looks to be it, but for me I tend to like USI parts. Especially for refueling. So I dropped near future for now, and it works.

It's just the one file, and removing it doesn't remove any parts.  If you remove it about the only thing that will change is that KSP will load.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.