(0.21) King of the Road: Update

p1a4.jpg

Hey everyone, finally here is the truck update. I redesigned the european one and created a US truck. Both are much better scaled and more realistic as my first try. I also improved the trailer, I added gears and a command module. Now it is possible to hook up and off the trailer when and where ever you want. If you like you can switch trailers as well, they are compatible.

Explanation how to hook up/ off the trailer is in this video (Btw. what can be a better way to explore the new 0.21 space center as with a truck, Yay):

So, have you ever dreamed of being a Kerbaltruckernout? Here is your chance:

1. EUROPEAN TRUCK AND FUEL TRAILER:

j9mi.jpg

vp9l.jpg

The download file contains:

A stock parts european truck:

tzfj.jpg

assigned action groups

1: dimmed headlights

2: full beam

3: realistic driving mode

(toggle: locked steering for back wheels, no engine for front wheels)

5: toggle leaders

and a stock parts fuel trailer:

6f4n.jpg

assigned action groups

4: realistic driving mode

(toggle: locked steering and engine for wheels)

both docked to a loading bay

2. US TRUCK AND TRAILER:

pggk.jpg

g72u.jpg

The download file contains:

A stock parts US truck:

as5d.jpg

assigned action groups

1: dimmed headlights

2: full beam

3: realistic driving mode

(toggle: locked steering for back wheels, no engine for front wheels)

and a stock parts trailer:

vwfo.jpg

assigned action groups

4: realistic driving mode

(toggle: locked steering and engine for wheels)

CRAFT FILES:

Truck_EU.zip

Truck_US.zip

Or from my blog:

http://www.aurigacity.com/?page_id=516

Happy trucking ;)

njsr.jpg

finally the old version:

wjmy.jpg

Download craft file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98088/ksp/craft/Truck.craft

Edited by Auriga

Thanks a lot guys

I am Now Officially a Kerbaltruckernout! My life is Complete.:D

^^Yea, that's the reason why I've builded this truck. Before my life feels empty and useless but been a Kerbaltruckernout changed my life. :D:sticktongue:

and absolutely, driving this thing on Mun would be awesome XD

:0.0: Would you believe I also built a trailer-truck just a few days ago?

Yours looks very nice. I see you also used a physics-hinge, though yours seems better because it can turn much further than mine could.

It might be an improvement if you use action groups to set it up so that only the front wheels can turn, and only a few of its wheels put out any power; these Kerbal-made electric wheels are very powerful and actually having less acceleration would make it easier to drive (and more realistic).

Final thought: Trucking Tuesday, everyone. *HONK HONK!*

very cool. I might have a suggestion, but I don't know if it will work. If landing legs are sufficiently collidable, you could use them to close the loop around the trailer's hitch. that way you can release and reload new trailers. or you could use them to lift the trailer up to slide the truck in or out, which i'm sure would work. and it's not all that dissimilar from how real trailers work!

All stock parts. That is very cool. BTW "euro style" is known as "cab over" over here. I'm gonna add two communotron 16s for CB antennas and listen to

while i drive it. Edited by Jeff Bird

thx for your suggestions :)

It might be an improvement if you use action groups to set it up so that only the front wheels can turn, and only a few of its wheels put out any power; these Kerbal-made electric wheels are very powerful and actually having less acceleration would make it easier to drive (and more realistic).

I think that's a good idea to use a action group to set the wheels to a more realistic way, powered in the back and just steering in the front. Yes, the acceleration is really powerful at the moment but the top speed is quiet realistic, it's around 23 m/s this is almost 83 km/h.

...or you could use them to lift the trailer up to slide the truck in or out, which i'm sure would work. and it's not all that dissimilar from how real trailers work!

That's what I'm already trying, because I was not satisfied with this "brutal" method. With a more gentle technique I should be able to remove the second wheel in the back, for more realism. Ok, when the updated truck is ready I will post it here ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, a little update from me ;) I still work on that truck update and on a second truck model, a US truck. Here is a little preview, still work in progress:

3b8c.png

The US truck have a way more realistic scale and look as my first european cab over one. So I think will completely redesign the first one to bring both more in line ;)

That US truck... Amazing. You should start make assortments of Trailers that are deployable around KSC to pickup and dropoff stuff. :D

I just noticed the US truck is missing 8 wheels :P Still an amazing job, especially in KSP we do so much that wasn't meant to be done in this game, now it's a part of it. :P

Edited by Dilin

Hey everyone, finally I added a huge truck update to my first post :). Most important changes:

I completely redesigned the european truck and the fuel trailer as well. Now both have a more realistic appearance and the hitch have the right hight above the ground. I added gears and a command module to the trailer, now it is possible to hook up and off the trailer where ever you want. And I created a second truck, a US truck with a new trailer as well. Both work the same way like the others and trailers a compatible to both trucks, so you can switch them if you like ;)

Btw. in this video below I explored the new Space Center in my new US truck:

Happy trucking :cool:

... especially in KSP we do so much that wasn't meant to be done in this game, now it's a part of it. :P

That is exactly what I like about this game as well, you can build so many things its awesome:D

What makes these European vs US? I see plenty of your "European" trucks around the US.

Well, while I was creating the "US" one I had a truck like this in my mind:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS92pNJFpbolmceyOymrwLIu4N6BmIl2Qrc9oEo6Fe8i4CKnFDP

So, personally for me this is more a typical USA truck model. For the "European" one I had a Scania, like this in my mind:

220px-Scania_V_8_-_R_730.JPG

They are very common here in Europe, so thats the reason why I call it european. I have never heard that these trucks are also common in the USA? Sorry if I made a mistake :( I know, Jeff Bird told me a couple of posts ago, these type of truck is called "cab over". So I googled cab over and found trucks like this:

alexs%20cab%20over%20for%20web.JPG

Actually, these kinds of trucks are still different to the ones you can see here in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.