A manned mission to the Mun and return with only 3.72 tons.

nhnifong

interesting, using ion engines for "low pressure situations" and convenional ones for landing.

but ion thrusters and their xenon tanks are heavy: is there really an advantage to using them?

wouldn't you get the same delta-v for less weight by simply using more donut tanks?

Oh.

:sealed:

It's probably the small orange radial liquid engine you're thinking of, and I just attached it in a different way, by rotating it and putting under the tank. Since it was radially attached, I was able to put a cubic under the tank as well, and that's what allowed me to connect further stuff underneath it. But I just did all that to stay stock. truth is, I'm used to the nice stack-mounted equivalent engine offered by KSPX, which has probably the thing you were hoping for.

Wow! but why the plane landing gear? those are a half ton each, I don't understand how your weight at the end could possibly be correct unless those weighed less in 0.19 or something.

The strange thing is, you don't really need them. BTW I just checked, it's not mj measuring wrong, both mj and the stock weight report the same values. those wheels are 0.5 tons each.

Not in flight, in flight they're massless, have been since 0.18 or earlier and still are in 0.20. They can withstand harder landings than the landing struts and are essentially free - mildly exploitative, but another trick to stretch a tight fuel budget a little further.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.