DROMOMAN - modular arm parts for Infernal Robotics

nothke

It's been quite a while since I last used Infernal/Damned Robotics. I like the way things have evolved; more parts, various sizes and better meshes and textures. But is lacks one vital item. It was missing when it was still Damned Robotics and it is still missing now: an end manipulator, something to grab other pieces.

Yes, I know you could fit a docking port on the end of your robotic arm or that you can use KAS. But what I'd really like to see is a magnetic clamp similar to the one in the Lazor Robotic Arms Pack.

It's been quite a while since I last used Infernal/Damned Robotics. I like the way things have evolved; more parts, various sizes and better meshes and textures. But is lacks one vital item. It was missing when it was still Damned Robotics and it is still missing now: an end manipulator, something to grab other pieces.

Yes, I know you could fit a docking port on the end of your robotic arm or that you can use KAS. But what I'd really like to see is a magnetic clamp similar to the one in the Lazor Robotic Arms Pack.

I have a robotic claw coming out in a different parts pack soon©

o5ltu5ah7od736sfg.jpg?size_id=6

Edited by sirkut

I am planning to do an end effector, but the way I want to make it would require a plugin cause neither KAS, neither stock does provide what I need. And what I need is a sort of a toggleable magnetic docking port.

I am planning to do an end effector, but the way I want to make it would require a plugin cause neither KAS, neither stock does provide what I need. And what I need is a sort of a toggleable magnetic docking port.

That's exactly why I mentioned the Lazor Robotic Arms Pack. It has exactly what you're talking about. That 'magnet' can be turned off and on and consumes electricity when active. It's basically a docking port that can connect to anything. You could contact Romfarer and ask him how he did it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ooh, we really need kOS support for this. One could write a Canadarm backend! No more individually manipulating each joint, hurrah!

Yeah, inverse kinematics is something desperately needed for robotic arms to be any useful. Right now it takes half an hour to do a simple task since you control each joint. But inverse kinematics is I think hard to simulate with n-joint arms.. But I did not yet get this much in robotics (or maths) to know that =(

...But inverse kinematics is I think hard to simulate with n-joint arms.. But I did not yet get this much in robotics (or maths) to know that =(

Indeed it is. I've dabbled with it in the past for n-joint legs, but the solution I used didn't work in all cases. Cool to watch though:

I'm interested in using this instead of Romfarer's plugin for CANADARM and CANADARM2. The only question is, does this work with KJR?

Also, is there any chance of a CANADARM2-style Mobile Base System? Just a rail, preferably foldable, that could be used to move the arm around a truss. Ideally, it'd fit the Community ISS mod, but it doesn't really have to.

Oh, and those "slim" hinges would come in handy, too. With so many parts, building arms for ISS, Shuttle and Buran would be easy. I don't like Romfarer's plugin because it's too bloated, I just need the arms.

Also, is there any chance of a CANADARM2-style Mobile Base System? Just a rail, preferably foldable, that could be used to move the arm around a truss. Ideally, it'd fit the Community ISS mod, but it doesn't really have to.

Oh, and those "slim" hinges would come in handy, too. With so many parts, building arms for ISS, Shuttle and Buran would be easy. I don't like Romfarer's plugin because it's too bloated, I just need the arms.

There are rails in the infernal robotics already. You can also stack a few on top of eachother for extended range. Canadarm2 also has end effectors on both sides so it can "walk" from latch to latch. Doing this in ksp is possible but sometimes makes the arm rotate awkwardly when you reload, if you do this just make sure you have a probe core on the arm base to prevent undocking bug.

Oh and I'll clear up the inbox, Kerbin City project filled it up..

I know Infernal Robotics have rails (that's how I know it's possible to do), but TBH, they're ugly and unwieldy. Oh, and not wide enough, the widest version is barely as wide as the S0 truss in ISS pack. I'd like a slimmer, longer, better looking rail that would fit with the style of this mod. Well, base or not, I'll definitely be experimenting with this arm. I'd like to completely replace Romfarer's arms with this.

I know Infernal Robotics have rails (that's how I know it's possible to do), but TBH, they're ugly and unwieldy. Oh, and not wide enough, the widest version is barely as wide as the S0 truss in ISS pack. I'd like a slimmer, longer, better looking rail that would fit with the style of this mod. Well, base or not, I'll definitely be experimenting with this arm. I'd like to completely replace Romfarer's arms with this.

Dragon01. We are currently revamping all the Inferbal Robotic parts into a more 'kerbal' look and to give it a more standardized asthetic so sometime in the future all the ugly/unwieldy will disappear.

I've been wondering whether it would be possible to cheat on the inverse kinematics. Since this is a video game, you could magically move the end effector directly, instead of relying on motors at the joints. Then the arm just needs to end up in a configuration that keeps it attached to both ends. Should be a lot simpler on the calculations, or perhaps something that you could leave entirely to the physics engine.

I've been wondering whether it would be possible to cheat on the inverse kinematics. Since this is a video game, you could magically move the end effector directly, instead of relying on motors at the joints. Then the arm just needs to end up in a configuration that keeps it attached to both ends. Should be a lot simpler on the calculations, or perhaps something that you could leave entirely to the physics engine.

That it what they often do in video games for correctly placing feet and similar things, but that is no fun :P

Dragon01. We are currently revamping all the Inferbal Robotic parts into a more 'kerbal' look and to give it a more standardized asthetic so sometime in the future all the ugly/unwieldy will disappear.

If you need any input on that, feel free to contact me.

I was wondering about this method too. IMO, you could "relax" the entire arm, so that they are unpowered and free moving, and then take the end effector and make it behave like an independant rcs powered ship, translate it, rotate it.. And then the arm behind would just follow the movements similar to a pantograph. This could be a shortcut to solving the problem, but a hunch tells me there could be a lot of problems there too with arm getting tangled, ripping the ship apart and what else...

I am not saying someone shouldn't try =)

I was wondering about this method too. IMO, you could "relax" the entire arm, so that they are unpowered and free moving, and then take the end effector and make it behave like an independant rcs powered ship, translate it, rotate it.. And then the arm behind would just follow the movements similar to a pantograph. This could be a shortcut to solving the problem, but a hunch tells me there could be a lot of problems there too with arm getting tangled, ripping the ship apart and what else...

I am not saying someone shouldn't try =)

The problem with this approach is same as in IRL robot arms, when you reach a end effector position and alignment to which there is several solutions. The same end effector position can be reached in several different configurations with the same robot arm, the problem is that a small change in the end effectors position can introduce a big configuration changes for the arm with big animation changes as a result.

Both inverse kinetics and forwards kinetics are quite complex maths. clearly a challenge :)

If you need any input on that, feel free to contact me.

As the new moddeller for IR, I'd be eager to hear both your views about the current selection of parts, their style etc. It would be great if you could PM me :D

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.