[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Holy crap, that's some ingenuity, even if not very useful. Put that thing on reddit or I will! :D

Guys are looking like they are having fun.

Ha, Thanks! It's entirely useful, can simulate the effects of a craft spinning in zero-g :P

Feel free to share it, but I did upload this last September when there was whole fairground attraction thing going on with IR at the time. I think someones video even got featured in KSP Weekly when that was still a thing

Hey there, two questions. I've already asked in the Toolbar thread about this and they redirected me here. I've got the latest versions of both IR and the Toolbar, but when I've got IR pieces added to a craft either in the VAB or in flight, I don't get an IR button on my toolbar. Anyone know why that would be?

And second, is there a video or illustration somewhere of how to assemble the telescoping pistons? I've been fiddling around with them in every combination and orientation I can think of, but I can't get them to work properly. Thanks for the time!

Edit: Well, I've sorta figured out the pistons, but should I have to enable clipping via the debug menu in order to add the smallest 1/4 size piston onto a stack? Without it I could only add the A and B pieces.

A couple of places in this thread there's a stack of all the telescoping pistons. Put it in your subassembly folder. Then you can stick it on your rocket and peel off the ones you don't need.

And as the thread says, its broken in currentksp so i dont know why you even ask?

Sirkut thanks for keeping at it, so many love to play ksp with this mod but rl goes before ksp so take your time =)

Maybe because I'm playing in .23? I said I was using the most current IR and Toolbar, not the most current game version.

Hey there, two questions. I've already asked in the Toolbar thread about this and they redirected me here. I've got the latest versions of both IR and the Toolbar, but when I've got IR pieces added to a craft either in the VAB or in flight, I don't get an IR button on my toolbar. Anyone know why that would be?

And second, is there a video or illustration somewhere of how to assemble the telescoping pistons? I've been fiddling around with them in every combination and orientation I can think of, but I can't get them to work properly. Thanks for the time!

Edit: Well, I've sorta figured out the pistons, but should I have to enable clipping via the debug menu in order to add the smallest 1/4 size piston onto a stack? Without it I could only add the A and B pieces.

Make sure you're using the latest version of toolbar for .23, not the latest version itself as that is for .23.5 which may cause issues when using with .23. I have found when using .23 most mods cannot use the latest version due to this. The latest .23 toolbar and IR work properly together (am using that combination now) on KSP .23

Just a little update. We are hopefully getting close. We (credit goes to the person helping actually! dude has been a life saver as my free time is short) have the parts moving in the right direction but there's a mysterious force playing havoc with the joints causing them to go haywire. Fun to watch, sucks to use.

sirkut: could it be the multiple joints? I remember getting some really wild phantom-forces when playing with the docking washer and some quantum struts: I tried turning my crane's rig with the struts turned on and things were initially ok but past a certain point the whole vehicle started moving around rather wildly.

sirkut: could it be the multiple joints? I remember getting some really wild phantom-forces when playing with the docking washer and some quantum struts: I tried turning my crane's rig with the struts turned on and things were initially ok but past a certain point the whole vehicle started moving around rather wildly.

I'm not sure at the moment. Currently if you put just a closed hinge on a lander can and start moving the apart the craft starts to hover/buck/flip like there's a mysterious force pushing it around. I uploaded a video but it's taking quite a while for a 9 second clip to encode. I'll respond again with the video.

And alas, after 10 minutes...

It looks like it's applying some sort of friction/torque to the can. From the navball, it shows a force that's essentially going in the direction the can starts to roll in...

Is the hinge set up to push both sides away relative to its' axis, where it hinges; or is it just supposed to push one of the sides away from the other?

Here's my guess:

the amount of a fantom torque in video is equal to the amount of hinge spin. It's like a flywheel. But a KSP is thinking that hinge rotates permanently. Game don't know that hinge stops already and locked position.

So more and more torque is added. Try to rotate hinge to other side it should compensate a fantom torque.

Edited by Meltafire

It looks like the game is trying to pull the hinge back together by applying force, and because it can't the force turns into rotational movement along the same axis. Obviously it has something to do with the new joint reinforcement methods and attachable surfaces. Perhaps it is creating joints between the two plates on the hinge (or from the capsule to the upper plate).

It looks like the game is trying to pull the hinge back together by applying force, and because it can't the force turns into rotational movement along the same axis. Obviously it has something to do with the new joint reinforcement methods and attachable surfaces. Perhaps it is creating joints between the two plates on the hinge (or from the capsule to the upper plate).

That's... not how the game's joint system works... Joints are formed between parts only where they are "attached" to each other. The upper plate isn't attached to the can...

Reminds me of Danny2426 phantom force drive http://youtu.be/T-5f2N-Mqdk basically a kerbal climbing up a ladder can generate a phantom force, it looks dead on to your landercan video.

BAhahaha how have I not seen this one before. Yay Physix..ince!

LOL that Google Talk ping near the end had me looking for the popup on my end!

So I'm not the only one then lol. I've got like 30+tabs open and I was trying to figure out what was making noise. Replayed the video and figured out thats where it was from lol

Try putting a stack of pistons into the side of a fuel tank or the 4 Kerbal module. Collapsed it sits there. Extend and it starts bouncing. Put on a stack of all the sizes, extend all the way and it'll hop its way off the launchpad.

Not rotational forces with the linear extending pistons.

Are you replacing the joint? If so this feels like the original joint is still in place. As you move the original resits and torque is created. If you replace the joint, how are you destroying it. When you call "Destroy" on a GameObject, unit just flags it for removal. If won't go away immediatly. In addition if there is still a reference to that old joint, it will stick around until the reference is gone.

I'd make sure you fully detach the old joint before destroying it.

Really sad to see this mod broken in the latest update. Never had the chance to use it yet but I was planning to get going with it on a new sandbox file and a whole ton of mods to really change the game up. I think I'm gonna hold off for IR though, I really want to see what I can make using this and KAS.

I'm trying to think positive. the joint system shouldn't change again in .24 from what has been said so once it is fixed for .23.5 when .24 is released it should be a much smoother update. So more time waiting now, less time later :)