[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Is the DROMOMAN fix included in the latest IR download? If not, could you post it in the first post of this thread?

Finally getting my kit together for 0.23.5 now that IR is mostly working with it. :-)

I can't remeber if it works out of the box or not but you will have to edit the CFG files yourselfit they rotate incorrectly.

What's PartModule?

It's the "modern" way of adding functionality to parts. If you look in a part.cfg file, it's the MODULE block(s) you find in the parts that aren't only structural or resource containers.

Its main benefit is it allows the modder to add multiple functionalities to a part. In the context of IR, rather than "this part is a rotor", you get "this part has a rotor" meaning it could conceivably also have a hinge or telescopic boom (though not in the current version). Something that can be done in the current version is to have a rotor and a docking port in the one part.

It's the "modern" way of adding functionality to parts. If you look in a part.cfg file, it's the MODULE block(s) you find in the parts that aren't only structural or resource containers.

Its main benefit is it allows the modder to add multiple functionalities to a part. In the context of IR, rather than "this part is a rotor", you get "this part has a rotor" meaning it could conceivably also have a hinge or telescopic boom (though not in the current version). Something that can be done in the current version is to have a rotor and a docking port in the one part.

This is the benefit of changing it over.

Actually, I might be wrong about not being able to have rotor+telescopic in the "current" version (actually what will be the current version with the transition is done). I don't remember, but it might be that IR already has separate transform names for its effector types, but I suspect that's more just visual. It's been a while since I looked at the code.

Something that can be done in the current version is to have a rotor and a docking port in the one part.

So... the docking washers could concieveably be done away with (as literal docking washers, meaning their intended function of aligning docking ports) by replacing them with a part that contains both the docking port and docking washer functionality (best description right now would be a welded docking washer and Clamp-o-Tron).

A third possibility would be to have the functionality of all three... a "recessed" docking port that extends to allow clearance, and rotates as needed to align the docking port.

Perhaps a fourth possibility that adds in a hinge function and a second rotation? Basically a "recessed" docking port that extends to allow clearance, rotates to align the port, hinges (up to 90 degrees) to allow offset docking (say docking to a spaceplane with an in-line Clamp-o-Tron behind the cockpit), a second rotation to rotate the 90 degree bend to any direction...

Basically the more complicated stuff that generally takes many parts with the current IR set, could conceivably be condensed down into a single discrete part, although that part would extremely specialized, and generally only perform the one function.

Actually, I might be wrong about not being able to have rotor+telescopic in the "current" version (actually what will be the current version with the transition is done). I don't remember, but it might be that IR already has separate transform names for its effector types, but I suspect that's more just visual. It's been a while since I looked at the code.

Well I think I played with this in the past but if you specify both translate joint and rotate joint it will do both. It's been a while. I think I played around with the tall piston and made it extend and rotate at the same time.

So... the docking washers could concieveably be done away with (as literal docking washers, meaning their intended function of aligning docking ports) by replacing them with a part that contains both the docking port and docking washer functionality (best description right now would be a welded docking washer and Clamp-o-Tron).

A third possibility would be to have the functionality of all three... a "recessed" docking port that extends to allow clearance, and rotates as needed to align the docking port.

Perhaps a fourth possibility that adds in a hinge function and a second rotation? Basically a "recessed" docking port that extends to allow clearance, rotates to align the port, hinges (up to 90 degrees) to allow offset docking (say docking to a spaceplane with an in-line Clamp-o-Tron behind the cockpit), a second rotation to rotate the 90 degree bend to any direction...

Basically the more complicated stuff that generally takes many parts with the current IR set, could conceivably be condensed down into a single discrete part, although that part would extremely specialized, and generally only perform the one function.

That's an idea I will have to explore. The only caveat is I am not sure that dockingNode gets translated along with the mesh. Im going to have to test this out when I get time to pull the partModule code with the new changes implemented for .23.5

Any hint how to get the inflight GUI working? Toogling via Toolbar/Actiongroup don't works and rightclicking on the parts has various options. On the same ship some parts offer me "Show GUI" and the next part offers "Hide GUI" at the same time - never saw a GUI at all in flight. Build GUI is just fine. Any hints for me where to start looking?

Edit:

Fixed it. Not shure how. Did several reinstalls and deletions of toolbar and this addon.

Edited by Darkstar One
Fix

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT i can't believe this is fixed so quickly! (in terms of B9 >.>) also the dromoman parts DO work out of the box sure the rotations are wrong (like the part rotating isn't that part attached to the pole part/docking port part) but to hell with that! i'm happy! and i'm also giddy! and a hell of other things i don't want to mention outside of my room! ha! thanks alot!

Hi All,

I just wanted to bring this to your attention IR Model Rework - Structural (Pre-release).

I'd welcome it if people could check them out. Also keep an eye on the model rework thread over the coming week, as I intend to put up untextured versions of all the joints I've been developing to get people's feedback.

Thanks

So, what changes have to be made to the dromoman part cfg files?

Swap the number 1 to one of the other two positions that have a zero fir the rotateAxis field. For example I it was 0,1,0 make it 1,0,0 and reload if it works good if not swap it to 0,0,1

Thanks for this mod again. Without it this wouldn't be possible, here is my newest creation:

VIDEO

Dude, this is insane! I laughed my ass off. Big thumbs up!

Did you manage to pull all these movements off with just the stock action groups or did you have to use Action Groups Extended for this?

I haven't seen anyone else with this issue so I'll just mention I've reinstalled this mod fresh a couple times and I'm getting duplicate copies of all sizes of IR Pistons in VAB and no matter what size/copy I use the piston extends in the wrong direction - in to the base and out the back side. I'm not using a ton of mods - nova punch, kas, kethane, mechjeb, and this. See screenshots:

Pistons in VAB 1:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197869

Pistons in VAB 2:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197878

Piston Start Position:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197900

Piston End Position:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197885

I haven't seen anyone else with this issue so I'll just mention I've reinstalled this mod fresh a couple times and I'm getting duplicate copies of all sizes of IR Pistons in VAB and no matter what size/copy I use the piston extends in the wrong direction - in to the base and out the back side. I'm not using a ton of mods - nova punch, kas, kethane, mechjeb, and this. See screenshots:

Pistons in VAB 1:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197869

Pistons in VAB 2:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197878

Piston Start Position:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197900

Piston End Position:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253197885

If you are having duplicates then you may have another install of It hidden somewhere. Remove all copies you have on the gamedata folder, redownload IR again and use that version.

If you are having duplicates then you may have another install of It hidden somewhere. Remove all copies you have on the gamedata folder, redownload IR again and use that version.

Ah, you were right, somehow there was a second copy of the pistons in the root parts folder that must have been conflicting. Removed duplicates and now the pistons go the right way. Thanks for the tip. Also thanks to everyone that is supporting this mod. Much appreciated!

I think I understand. You can move parts between groups within the IR window, but you can't re-order the groups themselves. Instead you have to move the parts one-by-one and rename the groups accordingly.

There, looks like ZodiusInfuser phrased it better than me. Also, those designs in your IR model rework thread are pretty badass.

Is there a possible way to make the hinges and other parts stronger? Giving them more force for moving parts and making them stiffer, I'm not sure how to describe it. I would need it for my Jaeger. You can see it in the video, the arms/legs are too wobbly.

Edited by Space Scumbag

You could just increase the node sizes. Unless there's some voodoo to be worked in C# land, that actually might be the only way to do so now. But don't take my word on that. I understand the config files. I have no fecking clue what Unity and KSP's compiled code are doing. O.o How anyone figures that out without breaking something, like a window, is beyond me.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement might help too, indirectly. Maybe you could reenable some of the settings that are disabled by default now and dial them up past what stock KSP is doing.

As a side note, i prefer the docking washers in many cases over the rotorons for general use rotors, mostly because they're slim. I'm not terribly keen on combining them with a docking port, but thats just my two cents