[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Here's a shot of all the IR parts in the VAB. I do plan on looking into allowing a tweakable for the docking washers (free versus motorized) and the 2 gantry versions. Pretty happy with the results so far. TPS part is a huge improvement than the 9 that were originally present. :)

TdDNyTW.png

This will also eliminate the stack of pistons subassembly, right?

Yes but it shouldn't be difficult to redo. I'll also supply that subassembly in the next update.

Greetings,

I'm having an issue that has been reported multiple times (though likely from different causes) through this thread - my IR toolbar will not appear in Launch mode, my bound keys (both custom action and IR hotkeys) do nothing for any IR part. Everything in VAB works just fine.

As you requested of the other users who've had this issue, I have included a zipped file of output_log.txt, a save of the ship in question, a quicksave in launch mode of the ship in question, and screenshots in both VAB and launch mode (the screenshots aren't zipped because they're ~4mb in size, total, and compression didn't do much to help that :/): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1lenzjmd1swxwgb/AAC3o4WSLKNv0rky47j4zRiXa

In the second screenshot, I am clicking the IR toolbar, with no result. I have the most recent version of the Toolbar, the most recent version of IR, and the most recent version of KSP. I've tried reinstalling both the toolbar and IR. I've checked my modlist against one a previous user presented when he found some issue with "graphometer"; I have none of the mods he reported as incompatible. I also checked to make sure I didn't have any weird duplicate files in weird directories, and so far as I can tell, there are none.

I'm really hoping I'm just being stupid and there some file I need to delete or mod I need to update. I appreciate any help you can offer.

You have to think like a circle when doing the rotatrons. The reason some are -90 to 90 is do to how the mesh is manipulated in space where as the closed hinge is manipulated differently. No accurancy of the angles with 0 to 180? I'm not even sure what you mean. You don't set negative values when dealing with 0 to 180 you have to think differently due to how the mesh is located.

_|_ <--- this is the starting point for a tall hinge for example. In order to go in one direction, it's limit is 90 degrees or negative 90 degrees.

= <--- this is the starting point for a closed hinge (the top portion of the equal sign is the moving part, so in order for it to go 90 degrees so it's pointing _| ,if you want it fully open (__) , you must travel 180 degrees.

I do think like a circle with rotatrons, but a circle with limits in the travel angle the rotatrons can achieve. In the previous versions, I think rotatrons had limits to their travel angle because I could set one in the VAB with -90/90 as min/max values, and the resulting travel was what the red arrows show in the figure below (A).

PUtOob1.png

Now, if negative values are not possible anymore (min/max values to be set in tweakables rather than IR GUI), the only way to achieve the same amplitude is to set limits to 0/180 (B). Of course you can turn the rotatron in the VAB to put the 0 on the left, but this is still less powerful: you cannot accurately stop your rotatron at 90° or -90°, only at 0° and 180°, and manually stop the rotatron when you guestimate it is 90°. The only way I can still get an accurate 90° angle is to set the rotatron to 0/90, but then I get half the initial amplitude, and can only get the 90° angle on the right (clockwise rotation).

But actually I'm not even sure this is true, as I found no limits in the travel angle of rotatrons in the last IR version: whatever the min/max values I set in tweakables, they rotate indefinitely around their axe. There must be a way to set limits, limits are the only way to get accurate positions in rotatrons, and ideally limits in both directions, not just clockwise. :/

(Please tell me if I'm still unclear, I'll try to elaborate!)

Now, if negative values are not possible anymore (min/max values to be set in tweakables rather than IR GUI), the only way to achieve the same amplitude is to set limits to 0/180 (B). Of course you can turn the rotatron in the VAB to put the 0 on the left, but this is still less powerful: you cannot accurately stop your rotatron at 90° or -90°, only at 0° and 180°, and manually stop the rotatron when you guestimate it is 90°. The only way I can still get an accurate 90° angle is to set the rotatron to 0/90, but then I get half the initial amplitude, and can only get the 90° angle on the right (clockwise rotation).)

Couldn't you set the rotation limits to 270-90 in order to get the result you show in picture A)?

I have to replace my lander that has several sets of two stacked telescoping pistons with landing legs on the ends. I went to fly it off Mun to prepare for offloading the Kethane in it and *pop*, the pistons shot outward and disjointed, ripping off all but three of the landing legs. When retracted the pieces of the pistons just come into contact instead of telescoping together.

Definitely needs disposed of and the pistons removed from the craft in VAB before replacing IR .15d with .16.

Is IR still very floppy? I really like the idea of IR but I've found it near impossible to use for what I'd want to use it for in the past, adjustable wings just flop around on the hinge due to the forces involved, putting engines on moving parts to allow VTOL has a similar problem where the force of the engine causes the IR part to bend.

Try it when .16 is released. All I ever used it for was to spread out the landing legs on one Mun lander to keep it from tipping over. Didn't have a problem with bending or flopping around.

Greetings,

I'm having an issue that has been reported multiple times (though likely from different causes) through this thread - my IR toolbar will not appear in Launch mode, my bound keys (both custom action and IR hotkeys) do nothing for any IR part. Everything in VAB works just fine.

As you requested of the other users who've had this issue, I have included a zipped file of output_log.txt, a save of the ship in question, a quicksave in launch mode of the ship in question, and screenshots in both VAB and launch mode (the screenshots aren't zipped because they're ~4mb in size, total, and compression didn't do much to help that :/): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1lenzjmd1swxwgb/AAC3o4WSLKNv0rky47j4zRiXa

In the second screenshot, I am clicking the IR toolbar, with no result. I have the most recent version of the Toolbar, the most recent version of IR, and the most recent version of KSP. I've tried reinstalling both the toolbar and IR. I've checked my modlist against one a previous user presented when he found some issue with "graphometer"; I have none of the mods he reported as incompatible. I also checked to make sure I didn't have any weird duplicate files in weird directories, and so far as I can tell, there are none.

I'm really hoping I'm just being stupid and there some file I need to delete or mod I need to update. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Right off the bat, you are using an OLD version. Most likely 0.14 since I'm seeing Inv toggle and limits. The current version is 0.15d and can be a game breaking update (Parts get their rotation doubled and can't move back to home for example). There were bugs relating to the toolbar in that version. Whenever you have an issue, please be sure to use the most recent version. If it breaks a saved game then I am sorry I just can't work on supporting older versions. I do have a method that can help you move from 0.14 to 0.15d but it will require some editing of your saved game.

I do think like a circle with rotatrons, but a circle with limits in the travel angle the rotatrons can achieve. In the previous versions, I think rotatrons had limits to their travel angle because I could set one in the VAB with -90/90 as min/max values, and the resulting travel was what the red arrows show in the figure below (A).

http://i.imgur.com/PUtOob1.png

Now, if negative values are not possible anymore (min/max values to be set in tweakables rather than IR GUI), the only way to achieve the same amplitude is to set limits to 0/180 (B). Of course you can turn the rotatron in the VAB to put the 0 on the left, but this is still less powerful: you cannot accurately stop your rotatron at 90° or -90°, only at 0° and 180°, and manually stop the rotatron when you guestimate it is 90°. The only way I can still get an accurate 90° angle is to set the rotatron to 0/90, but then I get half the initial amplitude, and can only get the 90° angle on the right (clockwise rotation).

But actually I'm not even sure this is true, as I found no limits in the travel angle of rotatrons in the last IR version: whatever the min/max values I set in tweakables, they rotate indefinitely around their axe. There must be a way to set limits, limits are the only way to get accurate positions in rotatrons, and ideally limits in both directions, not just clockwise. :/

(Please tell me if I'm still unclear, I'll try to elaborate!)

I understand clearly now. There's a flag in the rotatron CFG

rotateLimits = True

Making it true will tell it to stop at the limits. I'll look into reinstating the Min/Max text fields but I don't know what that will do to the actual tweakable menu. If I can get it to work, I'll add it to the 0.6 update.

I understand clearly now. There's a flag in the rotatron CFG

Making it true will tell it to stop at the limits. I'll look into reinstating the Min/Max text fields but I don't know what that will do to the actual tweakable menu. If I can get it to work, I'll add it to the 0.6 update.

Thanks, This helped me a ton!

So what's the status of the part making tutorial? It'd be nice to know the secret of making parts for IR. :)

So what's the status of the part making tutorial? It'd be nice to know the secret of making parts for IR. :)

Haven't done it yet. RL is getting in the way at the moment. Maybe later tonight I'll have it ready.

Right off the bat, you are using an OLD version. Most likely 0.14 since I'm seeing Inv toggle and limits. The current version is 0.15d and can be a game breaking update (Parts get their rotation doubled and can't move back to home for example). There were bugs relating to the toolbar in that version. Whenever you have an issue, please be sure to use the most recent version. If it breaks a saved game then I am sorry I just can't work on supporting older versions. I do have a method that can help you move from 0.14 to 0.15d but it will require some editing of your saved game.
Ahh, looks like I downloaded it off the Spaceport and not this thread, which would explain why it was an old version. Luckily I don't actually use any IR parts other than that first little experiment so the update didn't break anything, and fixed the problem! Thank you, I'm glad I was just being an idiot and it wasn't something that required a patch or something.

Ahh, looks like I downloaded it off the Spaceport and not this thread, which would explain why it was an old version. Luckily I don't actually use any IR parts other than that first little experiment so the update didn't break anything, and fixed the problem! Thank you, I'm glad I was just being an idiot and it wasn't something that required a patch or something.

No worries. I also realized I wasn't adding versions to the actual dll so that will at least help me out a little bit too. glad you got it resolved. :)

I sent a few people a link to a prerelease version of 0.16 to test. This doesn't contain the Min/Max text boxes for the editor but the TweakScale plugin is now fully supported. It will not just scale size but also the speed of the part. This is crucial for the AdjustableRail for example.

I'll be writing up a quick tutorial tonight on how to make your own robotic parts. We need more variety and I would like to make my parts die quietly and adopt ZodiusInfuser's work into the plugin Parts Pack.

A little while ago there was mention of a rewrite of the plugin. I was wondering whether that is still coming along, has been released without me seeing it or something else?

A little while ago there was mention of a rewrite of the plugin. I was wondering whether that is still coming along, has been released without me seeing it or something else?

Already been done and released. Where have you been? :) you will need to reinstall everything as the CFG has changed on all the parts.

Already been done and released. Where have you been? :) you will need to reinstall everything as the CFG has changed on all the parts.

Excellent. 'Tis true, I have been gone for the past few months. Those pesky real life responsibilities really eat away KSP time :D Luckily I am spending my time on some pretty cool stuff.

Does that mean we finally have kOS integration?

Edited by Camacha

.15d will do... unkind things... to anything you have out in space with IR parts unless you dig through your persistent file to make some changes. I'm going to wait for .16 which will completely replace the previous version.

.15d will do... unkind things... to anything you have out in space with IR parts unless you dig through your persistent file to make some changes. I'm going to wait for .16 which will completely replace the previous version.

Hate to break it to you but 0.16 isn't going to make things better. What version were you using? 0.14? I have a method that you can use to fix your parts INGAME. That Should work. PM me.

"Ghost servos appearing in the VAB/SPH after removing a chain of 2 or more servos from an assembly." Well I still have those things! How do I get rid of them? It was said than this was fixed in 0.15 c.

When I say ghost I mean they are atill present in the servo group editor while in the editor.