[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Hah! I have it. I don't know how well it will work, but a form of proportional control could solve the problem of limited action groups, when controlling IR with Kos.

Imagine you have to control 6 legs independently. you need 6 action groups for up, 6 for down, and 6 for neutral. That's 18 just to control up and down, and you only have 17 if you steal action groups from canned actions for gear and stage etc. Your Kerbals aren't going anywhere today.

But imagine I slice the actions up into little timed on/off segments. Now I just need to invoke down as a single action on all the legs, 50% of the time for example. I counter that with an action group up on each of the legs that can be varied in length. Then I add a single action for neutral for all the legs (with programming that limits the impulses for the other actions). Now I've accomplished the same control with just 8 action groups.

I can do the same thing for cyclical movements of the six legs to make it crawl like a bug. Since neutral is common, this added action will only take 7 action groups. I have 2 left!!!

Hah! I have it. I don't know how well it will work, but a form of proportional control could solve the problem of limited action groups, when controlling IR with Kos.

Imagine you have to control 6 legs independently. you need 6 action groups for up, 6 for down, and 6 for neutral. That's 18 just to control up and down, and you only have 17 if you steal action groups from canned actions for gear and stage etc. Your Kerbals aren't going anywhere today.

But imagine I slice the actions up into little timed on/off segments. Now I just need to invoke down as a single action on all the legs, 50% of the time for example. I counter that with an action group up on each of the legs that can be varied in length. Then I add a single action for neutral for all the legs (with programming that limits the impulses for the other actions). Now I've accomplished the same control with just 8 action groups.

I can do the same thing for cyclical movements of the six legs to make it crawl like a bug. Since neutral is common, this added action will only take 7 action groups. I have 2 left!!!

We are working on it :)

I put a hinge (the one that starts out straight up) on top of a powered docking washer and the docking washer would not rotate. It would just hum and turn a very small amount. The hinge worked fine. I didn't flip the washer over, I put it atop the rover in the default orientation it pops into the VAB, then the hinge on top of it.

So I switched out the docking washer for a rotatron and that worked, but is less stable because those can't be scaled up to the sizes the docking washer can.

Hi, sorry if I missed this, I couldn't find it searching the thread. I just installed the latest IR 0.19.2 and I think that I'm missing some parts. I don't have a list of parts to compare it to, but I'm at least missing servos, as well as all parts that fall under the "Structural" category in VAB. Is there another parts pack that needs to be installed, or am I just being dense?

I put a hinge (the one that starts out straight up) on top of a powered docking washer and the docking washer would not rotate. It would just hum and turn a very small amount. The hinge worked fine. I didn't flip the washer over, I put it atop the rover in the default orientation it pops into the VAB, then the hinge on top of it.

So I switched out the docking washer for a rotatron and that worked, but is less stable because those can't be scaled up to the sizes the docking washer can.

Craft file? Log file? That scenario works fine for me. Landercan+dockingwasher+tall hinge and it works. Also, just to double check that you didn't use a free moving docking washer.

but I'm at least missing servos, as well as all parts that fall under the "Structural" category in VAB. Is there another parts pack that needs to be installed, or am I just being dense?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-(Structural-Pre-Release)

There's nothing in this IR thread that falls under Structural, but there's a whole bunch of those in the rework thread.

Craft file? Log file? That scenario works fine for me. Landercan+dockingwasher+tall hinge and it works. Also, just to double check that you didn't use a free moving docking washer.

The numbers go round and round but the washer never moves. The red spot is on the bottom. New Group is the washer, New Group 2 is the hinge.

Craft http://pastebin.com/6FYg6h6r

15485370047_e3a52635d4_z.jpgShooter Rover by g_alan_e, on Flickr

Also, the nodes won't snap, except for when I first pull a washer out of inventory, then it jitters up and down and I can only get it to snap on down inside the RGU. 'Tis an issue with several parts that makes it difficult to get them stuck on where they need to be.

Edited by Galane

I'll look at the craft file tomorrow. Is the washer upside down? I want to say I made the red marker be the part that is supposed to move, I could be wrong.

As for attaching he washer it's a known issue due to how large the nodes are and how close they are to one another. There is nothing that can be done other than using greys node helper to toggle attach nodes on/off but that isn't worth the effort.

I just took a quick look at it. The washer's right side up and attached, but scaling it up to "Large" causes it to stop moving.

I suspect it's related node sizes because I saw the same issue when trying to give the Station parts Size 2 stack nodes.

The numbers go round and round but the washer never moves. The red spot is on the bottom. New Group is the washer, New Group 2 is the hinge.

Craft http://pastebin.com/6FYg6h6r

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3941/15485370047_e3a52635d4_z.jpgShooter Rover by g_alan_e, on Flickr

Also, the nodes won't snap, except for when I first pull a washer out of inventory, then it jitters up and down and I can only get it to snap on down inside the RGU. 'Tis an issue with several parts that makes it difficult to get them stuck on where they need to be.

Here's photos explaining what I found:

It would appear that the docking washer is being attached via surface attachment rather than using one of it's nodes. why it isn't working I'm not sure yet but it appears we have found a new bug.

Q47XpUl.png

Remove the docking washer and reattach it utilizing one of the attachment nodes. It will then work. To demonstrate, here's the newly saved craft file with the node attachments being used:

http://pastebin.com/EeJxd1YM

The problem is getting the nodes to attach. It just slides around after changing the size instead of snapping into place like stock parts that size.

I didn't seem to have that problem. Have you considered using editor extensions? You can disable surface attachments so you won't have that problem. Keep in mind I never used it to get this to work in the craft file.

Ok I have a noob question. I haven't used IR much, but on my station I put together a winch with grappling hook on an articulated arm. The first time I used it to capture a piece of rocket debris it worked perfectly. When I was done however I could not get it back as the hook was not lining up. I ended up disconnecting the hook and picking it up via EVA. Once I did that I was able to fully retract the winch and have it ready to eject again. Unfortunately I cannot figure out a way to re-attach the grappling hook.

@goldenpsp:

I think I know part of what's happening, but I'd need to see a screenshot of the grappling hook in the editor to be sure. KAS grappling hooks are weird – you can detach them from anything, but they can only be reattached to specific mounts.

A craft while would work, too.

@goldenpsp:

I think I know part of what's happening, but I'd need to see a screenshot of the grappling hook in the editor to be sure. KAS grappling hooks are weird – you can detach them from anything, but they can only be reattached to specific mounts.

A craft while would work, too.

Here is a screenshot. The idea being I could eject the winch to capture a part, winch it back and deposit in the EPL recycling bin. First time it worked perfectly to capture a spent rocket stage. Afterwards when I retracted the winch I would get an error about unable to dock as the parts were not lined up ( I should have made a better note of the error). Being new to IR I tried the unplug button on the gui, which disconnected the grappling hook from the winch. After that I was able to retract the winch successfully. I then sent a kerbal on EVA to grab the hook, but was unable to reattach it.

Craft file http://1drv.ms/1o0MTh7

NcE7CAO.png

I didn't seem to have that problem. Have you considered using editor extensions? You can disable surface attachments so you won't have that problem. Keep in mind I never used it to get this to work in the craft file.

I use Editor Extensions. Could be that's what's interfering with node snapping. What I read in its docs is it can enable surface attach on parts that don't have it enabled, like Oscar B fuel tanks. Don't recall it being able to disable surface attach.

Here is a screenshot. The idea being I could eject the winch to capture a part, winch it back and deposit in the EPL recycling bin. First time it worked perfectly to capture a spent rocket stage. Afterwards when I retracted the winch I would get an error about unable to dock as the parts were not lined up ( I should have made a better note of the error). Being new to IR I tried the unplug button on the gui, which disconnected the grappling hook from the winch. After that I was able to retract the winch successfully. I then sent a kerbal on EVA to grab the hook, but was unable to reattach it.

I've never been able to get the winches locked as long as there is anything attached to the end of the cable, even other KAS parts. It will not automatically rotate anything to lock position except the bare cable end.

I've never been able to get the winches locked as long as there is anything attached to the end of the cable, even other KAS parts. It will not automatically rotate anything to lock position except the bare cable end.

Neither can I apparently. But if that is the case I'd just like to be able to attach the hook back onto the end after it locks. Apparently I can't.

Ok, so I've read through the forums for the last couple of days, and I seem to have a unique problem.

http://pastebin.com/A5iBcxDi

I'm trying to build a robotic arm for my OKS station with IR and the Robotic Rework. After using the Servo Configuration to separate my servos and with the Servo window open, my KSP RAM gradually climbs from ~1.5GB to ~2.87GB until it freezes and sometimes produces the linked crash report. It's consistent and supremely annoying (I just want to explore the cosmos like everyone else...)

I first noticed it after installing the IR Robotics rework. After some research, I couldn't figure out why it was crashing. So today, I started with a fresh KSP install and a previous save with the science needed. I opened the stock game, runs about 1.35GB, and doesn't creep up at all. I installed just the IR mod, and I get a crash after a few minutes of messing with IR specific parts and the Servo window. I also tried with MM 2.5.1 and Active Texture Manager. I keep trying to build an arm as fast as I can before my RAM gets too high, but to no avail.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if it's a bug. I'm no coding/computing expert, so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: New info

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

KSP(21496,0xb04a1000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=8388608) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Receiving unhandled NULL exception

Obtained 14 stack frames.

This is from the console log from the last crash. Crashed at 2.69GB RAM. I was testing the robotic arm on the launch pad for about an hour, reverted to VAB, changed two IR Reworked parts, and I was in the process of adding servo groups when i got the crash.

Edited by BenjiDan
New Info

I'm having a lot of trouble with docking, and I seem to remember seeing in a video a while back someone using some infernal robotics parts to grapple the other ship, then dock easy mode. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

@BenjiDan:

You're running out of memory. 32-bit processes, including KSP for Mac, are limited to about 3.5 GB of RAM, but Activity Monitor seems to underreport total memory usage. Try Active Texture Managment or increasing it's scale setting. Thanks for adding the Player.log error (from Console) – that's the only useful log.

@kormer:

Docking directly using IR parts is not supported and can destroy your ships. Any IR part that moves a docking port can cause this issue.

One way to get a similar effect in game is to use KAS magnets: grab the target with a magnetic arm (which doesn't dock) and then move the ship into position to dock.